• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Manga Published by Chuang Yi Publishing (Singapore)

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SnowWarren

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:03 pm Reply with quote
While living in Australia, I discovered this Singapore based company that licences a lot of manga for the English speaking population in Asia, often with different translations. They are also one of the only companies I know of that release English titles with slip covers. Sadly they have now gone out of business.

I decided to collect them to see how the translation differs from their US counterparts. An online resource for anyone whose curious.

Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle: Volume 1 Comparison - http://mangaanotherstory.blogspot.com.au/2013/10/tsubasa-reservoir-chronicle-volume-1.html
Fullmetal Alchemist: Volume 1 comparison - http://mangaanotherstory.blogspot.com.au/2013/09/fullmetal-alchemist-volume-1.html
Fullmetal Alchemist: Volume 2 Comparison - http://mangaanotherstory.blogspot.com.au/2016/10/fullmetal-alchemist-volume-2-viz-media.html
Fruits Basket: Volume 1 Comparison - http://mangaanotherstory.blogspot.com.au/2013/09/fruits-basket-volume-1-comparison.html

We've got a way to go. Trying to post more frequently.
CatSword

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:25 pm Reply with quote
I'm curious, is the Chuang Yi version of Zatch Bell uncensored? Viz's covered up nudity and blood.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SnowWarren

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:35 pm Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:
I'm curious, is the Chuang Yi version of Zatch Bell uncensored? Viz's covered up nudity and blood.

It must be censored because it uses Viz's translation and artwork.

Chuang Yi is an odd company. Sometimes doing their own translation and sometimes simply sublicensing an existing one. Must be to do with what's available at the time. I'll be doing a blog post soon listing all the titles that have other companies translations or at least the ones I've come across.

Hope this helps.
BrokenByDefault

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:19 am Reply with quote
Great to see some discussion about Chuang Yi, they were my favourite manga publisher!
You mentioned in your Fruits Basket review that you were surprised that the Chuang Yi release's pages were so white. That is because for some of their titles, they used recycled, acid-free paper. I know their Fruits Basket and Love Hina series got their full runs with acid-free paper. I have the full run of Fruits Basket, and almost a decade later it still looks like toothpaste! Unfortunately though, a lot of other series like Ouran and Imadoki! got random volumes printed acid-free and others on normal paper because they continually used different publishers, which was a bit of a shame!
SnowWarren

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:39 pm Reply with quote
BrokenByDefault wrote:
Great to see some discussion about Chuang Yi, they were my favourite manga publisher!
You mentioned in your Fruits Basket review that you were surprised that the Chuang Yi release's pages were so white. That is because for some of their titles, they used recycled, acid-free paper. I know their Fruits Basket and Love Hina series got their full runs with acid-free paper. I have the full run of Fruits Basket, and almost a decade later it still looks like toothpaste! Unfortunately though, a lot of other series like Ouran and Imadoki! got random volumes printed acid-free and others on normal paper because they continually used different publishers, which was a bit of a shame!

I know, that's part of the reason I started the blog. I could barely find anything on them. Do people just not know about them? It's weird.

Thanks so much for telling me about the paper and for reading.
phia_one

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:38 am Reply with quote
Interesting topic and blog! The only reason I even heard of this company is because of the Pokémon Adventures manga. I didn't know at the time if Viz was going to continue releasing it or not, so I was looking into Chuang Yi. I wasn't expecting them to have such nice paper quality.
PannenkoekenNL

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 6:06 am Reply with quote
They've also released some Pokémon manga that haven't been released by any other English-language company. Such as Pokémon Pocket Monsters http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pokémon_Pocket_Monsters

Their 'successor' is Shogakukan Asia which also released manga that haven't been released anywhere else in English such as Future Card Buddyfight.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1