• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Dropper's Remorse (Ballad of the Indecisive).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:35 am Reply with quote
@ vanfanel - you've intrigued me with your mention of Beast Player Erin novel. I really loved the anime a lot and would like to read the book. Sadly, reading it in Japanese is not an option for me and I'm not crazy about the idea of tracking down an unlicensed translation.

I recently experienced the exact opposite of Dropper's Remorse - Keeper's Remorse. That's when you stick with a crappy show for God know's what reason, then feel compelled to see it to the end even though it's destroying your brain. Bloodivores is the perp this time. I'll be watching the finale soon and can't wait until it's over.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:04 pm Reply with quote
just stay away from any tables. its ending, if you can call it that, just stops much like Gangsta and Magical Warfare did.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:07 pm Reply with quote
So I have discovered. However if you look at my post in the What are you watching now? thread you'll see that the reason that angered me is that it made me think there was actually one more episode left after this one. As soon as I found out that wasn't true, I calmed down. Laughing
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:03 am Reply with quote
There is so much anime these days that I have a first episode template in my head and I check certain things off, things that tick me off, and once too many or certain ones get checked, the series gets dropped, no questions asked.

Main character clams to be normal but is obviously "different" but is confronted by a group of like/different powered team while his kidnapped sister is in a wheelchair? Yes, now that you mention it BBB, I have heard of X-Men...

Excuse premise that has too many missing ideas behind it that I know will just nag me to the last episode? Keijo8 x ! is this season's prime candidate with its pro sport. A fun show filled with "fan service", where have I not heard of that one before?

Now it is possible that a series has a terrible premise/first episode... for example, I thought and still think the first episode of Shuffle! is really terrible. I took a break of almost a year until I saw episode 2 and was introduced fully to the wonder that is Asa... but the problem I had with this show was not giving me anything in the first esisode interesting to latch on to with its forced heaven/hell/indentured girlfriend premise from its finished visual novel/girl game roots. However, ongoing manga adaptations like the two above start with points against them even before I see anything about them; You know they're not going to be complete and they're possibly examples of "Wait until episode x when it starts to get good, ie, the reason this manga was turned into an anime."

This is not a problem with LN adaptions but they tend to be... I don't want to say "unoriginal" or "unimaginative" or "uninteresting"... formulaic... all that in one word, neat... where was I? Uh, yeah, that. Moving on...

In short, there's too much anime these days. If it's like [blank], a show from years ago, just watch [blank] then.

Dropper's Remorse as a thing regardless of that though? Drop one show, ten more shows are fighting it out to take its place. Watch what you want, when you want, how you want. When buying or renting shows, I'm far more likely to watch the whole thing because in those cases, my time is literally my money... excepting those times when I can sell it for more than I bought it. Streaming? You get one chance not to completely turn me off, several chances to win me over and that's it.

There's also the "I don't see this as a one episode a week show experience but once it's all up, I can see myself watching the whole thing." The classic examples of that would be Attack on Titan and From the New World, shows that are both immersive and expressive but tend to be teeth grinding experiences when waiting for that next episode.... if it comes. But that's a whole different streaming problem, isn't it?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:55 am Reply with quote
Up until this past year, I think about the only thing that ever got me to drop a series was rage quitting, and that's pretty rare (even Gantz, which I should've rage quit, I stuck through, to my regret), and usually only happens late in the game, since I tend to give series a chance to redeem themselves.

But recently I've started dropping series when I find I'm looking for excuses not to watch the latest episodes. It pains my completionist heart, and I occasionally have twinges of regret, but mostly I just feel relief. Orange was last season's, and Girlish Number ended up like that this season. I think I was mostly watching the latter just for the dirt on the industry angle, but ultimately I didn't care enough about it to keep going. To my own amazement I dropped Divine Gate with two episodes left and never looked back. Likewise Endride. I couldn't even care enough for Completionist Me to veto it.

There's been more series in the not dropped yet but not really enjoying category this season than ever (maybe because there are so many I'm really loving the hell out of). They tend to be series that I do enjoy while I'm watching the episodes, but when the credits roll, I don't care, and in the week between episodes, it starts to look like a chore that only my curiosity is enough to push me toward watching. Weird, I know. Flip Flappers, Classicaloid, even JoJo's are landing in this pile.

On-hold this season include O;9 and I-B Orphans, and I've fallen behind on Keijo!8 and the dreaded Bloodivores, but like Blood-, will likely soldier through that. Smile

As far as the topic itself goes, I guess Twin Star Exorcists is one I dropped a few episodes in because it was flailing so hard, but then picked it back up and regret it now. With only a dozen eps or whatever left, it's moved onto my Completionist Syndrome pile, but since the time skip, while it's not nearly as bad as it was early on, it's still not very good.

And Blood-? Watch Kurau already. It's really quite good, except for the cringy Christmas thing.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:47 am Reply with quote
I will take your urging over Kurau under advisement, Gina. But you have hit the nail on the head - as soon as an anime starts feeling like a chore to keep up with, it's time to pull the cord. A new season will be starting soon - will this be the one where I finally implement this principle without remorse???
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3