• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Do You Still See Flip Phones In Anime?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrBonk

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:04 am Reply with quote
I put off getting a SP for as long as I could. In fact, I held off of cell phones entirely for probably longer than anyone of my generation. I've never met a person my own age who didn't have a cell phone.

Finally got Google Fi and a Nexus 5x this last month.

I kind of hate how bland smartphone design has become (in physical terms). But what can you do.
It looks nice when it's customized and everything like I finally got mine.
http://u.cubeupload.com/MrBonk/14908193102084808278.jpg (Ignore the compression. Actual background image http://u.cubeupload.com/MrBonk/gya34.jpg)
(I've got about 110+ different wallpapers I made, and use an App to change it every 3 mins or when locking/unlocking.)

But, as others have mentioned, I'd really kill for a good smartphone/regular phone with buttons combo. The BB Priv kind of gets the idea
http://us.blackberry.com/smartphones/priv-by-blackberry/overview.html
garlogan78

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:32 am Reply with quote
I'm on JET and every kid at the school I teach at has an iphone pretty much. Some of the teachers have flip phones, though.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:05 am Reply with quote
Me,I still use a flip phone. It's far easier for me to work with than any of the other phones that are out there right now. In fact,I prefer having a flip phone around than a smart phone. Smart phones aren't that easy for me to work with and I'm very happy with the flip phone I've got.
Katsukasu

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:21 am Reply with quote
I was in Japan for about a year 2 times. The first time in 2011/12 and the 2nd time in 2014/15. The first time I came, pretty much everybody used flip phones, although a few people did have iPhones. I used a flip phone as well as that was the only kind of phone I could get as a foreign exchange student in the first place (a smartphone would have been very expensive).
When I went there 2014/15, I only ever saw old people on the train using flip phones. I also very rarely saw people with Android phones. (A lot of people I met btw despised Samsung phones because it's a Korean maker... Confused ) Almost every Japanese person I met was using an iPhone. I do think it might be different depending on what region or what social stratum you're in, but at least at my university in Kansai it was about 90% iPhone.
Deadwing

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:37 pm Reply with quote
I resisted getting a cell phone for the longest time. I didn't get one until 2011. The main reason I got one was in case of emergency, and I actually ran into an emergency in late 2010 where a cell phone would have been useful. My car blew a tire on the interstate and I had to walk back to the off-ramp and to a gas station. Turns out that the distance a car can traverse in just one minute can be a pretty long hike on foot, especially if the hike is uphill and you have a disability.

But instead of a smartphone I ended up getting a cheap prepaid feature phone, namely the Nokia 1661. The iPhone had been out for a while by that point, and even then I simply found little use for them. I had and still don't have any need to be able to access the internet away from home. I'm not even that big on talking on the phone, either. $20 worth of minutes can last me several months.

Personally, I've come to despise smartphones. I hate when I'm trying to talk to someone and they suddenly stop in mid-conversation just to check their Facebook feed or Instagram or Snapchat or whatever. People get absorbed in the things, becoming oblivious to their surroundings. They increasingly eschew real person-to-person contact in order to just simply tap away on their phones. They've produced a narcissistic "selfie generation" that feels the need to document every triviality of their daily lives. I feel that smartphones have added little to nothing of value to technology and society. Cell phones never should have had internet capabilities integrated into them.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
A good thing about flip phones is that they can help lessen the occurrences of butt-dialing.

You must mean in comparison to a candy bar phone, as with a smart phone, butt dialing would involve your derriere (or other body part) somehow unlocking the screen and launching the phone dialer app first. Smile
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:34 pm Reply with quote
I ended up getting a flipphone pretty much only because I decided one day to walk home from work and ended up going the wrong direction without the ability to call for help. I used it so little I stuck with the prepaid plan, until I decided to buy a smartphone so I could watch Crunchyroll while donating plasma; I only upgraded because that phone was running out of space for School Idol Festival and wouldn't use the SD card for it. If I had to compare the two, I'd say that the flipphones are a superior form factor for actually making calls.

That said, I could swear I remember watching an ad or two about the mobile web back about 1998. But, given that people couldn't even be bothered to design for multiple browsers at the time, it's unsurprising that it didn't take off. Japan probably only got the way it did due to the low market penetration of personal computers.
Pizza35

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:50 pm Reply with quote
I think one reason why flip-phones are so prominent in anime and manga compared to reality is that when drawn they are instantly and easily recognisable as what they are - phones. For example if a character helds a flip-phone in his hand you will see the upper part sticking out. While when you draw a character holding a smartphone, it's hard to tell what he is actually holding unless you make a close-up and show the screen of the smartphone.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3