• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Do Voice Actors Perform Multiple Roles In Dubs?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:19 pm Reply with quote
I think the most egregious example of multi-casting I've ever watched was the Tagalog dub of the original Full Metal Alchemist anime. Grace Cornel (whose voice I adore) played every female character, except Pinako Rockbell and Izumi Curtis, plus Wrath.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:21 pm Reply with quote
It's not uncommon for this to happen in an anime with a particularly large cast. A pretty quick look at the seiyuu list for Shirobako, for example, will show a lot of people credited with multiple bit parts, including in the same episode. It's a little rarer for someone to do both a main role and a bit part, but I've seen that as well. It's a matter of degree, though it does make sense that it would happen more often in anime dubs than in the Japanese originals.
Barbobot

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:37 pm Reply with quote
A more recent example of this that I only learned of recently as I never watched the dub at all is Persona 4. Johnny Yong Bosch plays both Narukami Yu and Tohru Adachi, so it's not like he's only playing a minor, single-episode character on top of the main protagonist. It's like Ichigo from Bleach talking to Izaya from Durarara. There's a different cadence to the voices, but you can tell it's the same person.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Great Teacher Onizuka is a great example of this, Wendee Lee played 8 main characters, and I think even some extras. And most of the rest of the cast did as well, there is even a scene where Steve Blum pulls over Steve Blum for speeding.
peno

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:59 pm Reply with quote
It's funny how this article actually came when I am in a process of watching Seiyuu's Life. In first episode, there is a scene, where the main character is asked to voice one line of a little boy, on top of her main role, which she fails miserably, so another Seiyuu, who is with her on the recording, is asked to do the line. I dunno how exact representation of the industry the anime is, but it seems like this practice is presented in Japan too, though probably not to a degree it is in English dubs.

fuuma_monou wrote:
I think the most egregious example of multi-casting I've ever watched was the Tagalog dub of the original Full Metal Alchemist anime. Grace Cornel (whose voice I adore) played every female character, except Pinako Rockbell and Izumi Curtis, plus Wrath.

At least they were consistent. I couldn't count how many times my country's dub of FMA changed the VAs for side characters. Actually, the only ones I think were consistent (and even that I consider a small miracle) were the two Elric brothers Rolling Eyes Though at least they had enough VAs for side characters, not like this other cable channel, who only uses four voices, two males and two females, to voice all the roles, which is epic fail.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Barbobot wrote:
A more recent example of this that I only learned of recently as I never watched the dub at all is Persona 4. Johnny Yong Bosch plays both Narukami Yu and Tohru Adachi, so it's not like he's only playing a minor, single-episode character on top of the main protagonist. It's like Ichigo from Bleach talking to Izaya from Durarara. There's a different cadence to the voices, but you can tell it's the same person.

I can at least see where the idea to use him for both came from since Yu was essentially silent in Persona 4/Golden. Considering that the English cast went uncredited, I'm sure they wanted to save money on recording some reactions. I wasn't sure which way they would go with the later games and anime since Yu and Adachi were fully voiced for those, since there is a preference for keeping the same actors, but there would also be scenes with Bosch talking to himself.
bs3311

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Did you really need to answer that? I think anyone and their plant would figure this out on their own. But just like the theater business, it can be mirrored with voice acting. My director would cast me not only as a main but also a minor side character in plays. It fills out a disposable role and saves time and money. But VA work is a bit more flexible since scheduling and not having to deal with a huge audience. Most of the recycled actors I notice are for giant mobs to help them blend in so it would be harder to spot while saving some ben Frank's. Though there are some times reusing an actor actually made me think about the characters themselves and their roles Ala Children who chase lost voices with Brittany Karbowski being cast as 2 young girls, who were the only ones that closely interacted with the 2 leads.
CaptainAvatar

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:56 pm Reply with quote
To this day I say one of the greatest multi-character performances was Veronica Taylor as Nana Suzuki (All 7) in NaNa 7 of 7. I thought she did a magnificent job of making each of the Nana's unique in their own way. Japan used different Seiyuu for each of the Nana's.
KutovoiAnton

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Actually, in Japanese dub one voice actor playing a plenty of characters isn't uncommon as well. There's a reason why Masaya Takatsuka is called "Mr. One Piece" by fans, for example:
person#7968
Naruto and Fairy Tail also have such voice actors in their ranks.
Or look at Masako Nozawa voicing the entire Son family in Dragon Ball. And I'm not even talking about no-name characters. Some seiyuus are casted in the series specifically for doing a lot of minor roles (it was higlighted in one of the episodes of Sore ga Seiyuu, IRC).
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:07 pm Reply with quote
CaptainAvatar wrote:
To this day I say one of the greatest multi-character performances was Veronica Taylor as Nana Suzuki (All 7) in NaNa 7 of 7. I thought she did a magnificent job of making each of the Nana's unique in their own way. Japan used different Seiyuu for each of the Nana's.

Funimation's dub of the "Raildex" series did that as well. Brittney Karbowski played Misaka as well as all of her clones. I think the Japanese also used different seiyuus for each one. I think she did a good job since all of the Misaka's have widely different personalities for the most part.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:13 pm Reply with quote
In terms of dubs, I see this as more of California's problem than Texas'. That's probably because labor unions are illegal in Texas, so they are able to gain a far wider talent group, and even got fresh actors like Brandon McInnis and Daman Mills for this season. California, on the other hand, constantly did this back in the previous decade (and still do, to a lesser extent). While long-running shows like Naruto and Bleach are more understandable due to the gigantic plethora of characters, even shorter shows suffer; dubs of Code Geass and Eureka Seven are the first to come to mind for me.
Kb24lol

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:33 pm Reply with quote
You should see american cartoons, one actor can play more than 10 characters at a time for a show.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Kb24lol wrote:
You should see american cartoons, one actor can play more than 10 characters at a time for a show.

And they're all voiced by Tom Kenny.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:

And they're all voiced by Tom Kenny.

Or Steve Blum Razz
falcon.punch

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Chris Sabat in Funi's dub of DB series dubbed Piccolo, The dragons, Kami, Korin, Vegeta, Yamcha, The Ginyu Force and Frieza's goons (Barring Ginyu and Dodoria) and others in the original DBZ.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5