• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Some things on anime couples.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Night fox

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:29 am Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
I think it's pretty obvious that Ichigo was originally meant to end up with Rukia. Something must have happened down the line, but we all know that Kubo is no genius writer and probably had little to no intention to let Bleach go for as long as it did. This was probably just a show of him getting fed up with it.

Then who was Orihime "originally" supposed to end up with - what was her purpose? Why did Kubo make her a main character in the first place, especially since most of her actions and decisions throughout the show were centered around Ichigo?

Both Rukia and Orihime did play the part of "Damsel in distress" in different story arcs, where Ichigo rode in on his white horse, in shin- well in his black Shihakusho, to save the day. It doesn't seem like either Ichigo, or Rukia, are romantically interrested in anyone on the show though, Rukia has Renji following her around like a lapdog, and Ichigo has Orihime pining for him 24/7, but it is mostly one-sided. Rukia's interrest in Ichigo might just be that he reminds her of Kaien and their unresolved issues.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:58 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
I suppose you could characterize it that way. I would say I'm realistic and not very romantic. I don't believe in love at first sight nor do I believe in unrequited love. The first is simply an attraction that happens to work out and the second is a crush that verges on stalker like obsession. Both are more likely related to lust than to love. To me love is something that you build based on extensive time spent in each other's company*.

I don't believe in love at first sight either lol it's crap. But unrequited love can be the purest example of what love is really about when it's written decently. And I certainly don't mean by stalking (because I despise that trope). I mean how this character will put his love's happiness before anything else, including his own feelings. Because true love is unselfish that way.

I also don't really agree that time should be an important factor when it comes to characters loving each other; experience is what matters the most. In fact, if you've spent TOO much time around another person; especially at a young age, it will probably start to feel weird to look at them in that way. lol

Quote:
I haven't seen a Disney cartoon, with the exception of Fantasia, since some time in the 1950s.

WOW, man, you may want to fix that! Many people agree Disney's best work came much later: 1990s, and then later 2000s.

Quote:
Why would anime characters be different?

Quote:
Because most of the anime under discussion is set in modern times and realistic settings. While fantasy anime does occasionally have some romance, they usually involve modern people with modern attitudes.

Being modern isn't going to change romantic views that much. It depends on how the individual feels. There are still tons of romantic stories being written today that take place today and they are written like fairytales with happy endings.

@Night fox: Lol fanservice. I've always liked the idea of Orihime x Ishida far more anyway.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Night fox wrote:
Then who was Orihime "originally" supposed to end up with - what was her purpose? Why did Kubo make her a main character in the first place, especially since most of her actions and decisions throughout the show were centered around Ichigo?

Since you asked... IMO, the initial pairings were supposed to be IchigoXRukia and OrihimeXUryu. There are several occasions where it seemed that Uryu was paying a great deal of attention to Orihime, and it is especially noticeable once they reach the Soul Society. I thought that Renji had had his chance with Rukia, and blown it. But Rukia and Ichigo seemed to share a special wavelength with one another that no one else was able to touch, which is why several people thought they were an item (including that one Soul Reaper that is originally sent to bring Rukia back home).

Quote:
Both Rukia and Orihime did play the part of "Damsel in distress" in different story arcs, where Ichigo rode in on his white horse, in shin- well in his black Shihakusho, to save the day. It doesn't seem like either Ichigo, or Rukia, are romantically interrested in anyone on the show though, Rukia has Renji following her around like a lapdog, and Ichigo has Orihime pining for him 24/7, but it is mostly one-sided. Rukia's interrest in Ichigo might just be that he reminds her of Kaien and their unresolved issues.

I can't think of anywhere in the series that Ichigo showed any particular interest or closeness to Orihime. I do think that initially Rukia's interest in Ichigo was due to their similar appearance and personality, but she hung out with Ichigo long enough, IMO, for her to separate the two. I'm sort of disappointed they didn't end up together, to be honest.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:

Since you asked... IMO, the initial pairings were supposed to be IchigoXRukia and OrihimeXUryu. There are several occasions where it seemed that Uryu was paying a great deal of attention to Orihime, and it is especially noticeable once they reach the Soul Society. I thought that Renji had had his chance with Rukia, and blown it. But Rukia and Ichigo seemed to share a special wavelength with one another that no one else was able to touch, which is why several people thought they were an item (including that one Soul Reaper that is originally sent to bring Rukia back home).

Hail Fellow Believer!! Very Happy

I'm very glad there are more of us. Anime hyper

If those weren't the initial pairs from the beginning, the series was very misleading.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
Quote:
I also don't really agree that time should be an important factor when it comes to characters loving each other; experience is what matters the most. In fact, if you've spent TOO much time around another person; especially at a young age, it will probably start to feel weird to look at them in that way.

I can't argue here. I should clarify that I meant time spent as a couple. Too much time spent around another, either as a friend or as a childhood friend is likely to make the move to a romantic relationship impossible. Usually that becomes possible only if they have spent a substantial period out of touch and see the other from a new viewpoint.

It may be just me, but I think unrequited love is just stupid. I never managed to sustain an interest in someone once I found out it wasn't going anywhere. I think in real life a sustained infatuation with someone who is unavailable is likely to serve some other agenda, such as an excuse to quit trying to find a significant other.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
It may be just me, but I think unrequited love is just stupid.

Stay far away from Nagi No Asukara then; it's nothing but. Laughing And it gets kind of irritating.

Quote:
I never managed to sustain an interest in someone once I found out it wasn't going anywhere.

I don't like it because I can relate to it; rather I'm envious of what it's like to love someone that much.

I only like it because we get to see how far someone will go for another person; even if they expect nothing in return. I admire that degree of dedication and selflessness.
louis6578

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:56 am Reply with quote
Shounen is usually bad at romance anyway. The best examples of shounen romances are ones that don't REALLY try to be romantic and are more about pre-established relationships, like Fist of the North Star's main couple. Other things like Jonathan and Erina are good only because it's simple enough and in the background enough that you can just sort of assume that the characters are good for each other. Shounen Jump's attempts at actual romance are terrible at worst (though it's not Shounen Jump, Rumiko Takahashi's works, especially Ranma 1/2, are particularly bad) and inoffensive at best (Keiko and Yusuke was... okay, I guess). It's part of why I love One Piece. Oda specifically stated that he will NEVER have any of the main characters engage in a serious romantic arc, and that they're all just friends/platonic family. They're in love with adventure. He feels that adding romance would detract from the adventure of the story and put off his primary demographic of pre-teen boys.

Even when the OTP of a Shounen Jump couple is something that I agree with, they usually aren't given any time to properly develop, only skipping to some epilogue of "and then they lived happily ever after" once the main storyline is done. I'm looking at Naruto and Hinata when I say this.

With all that said, it should be no surprise that Bleach, widely considered to be the worst of the popular Shounen Jump anime, has the worst romance and most shoehorned in main couple.

Weirdly enough, plenty of shounen-feeling stories that aren't technically Shounen Jump have passable romances, like Eureka 7, Durarara, Baccano, and hell, for all its problems, even Fate/Stay Night gets Romance right regardless of who the girl in the particular version you're watching is.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:10 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
Quote:
Stay far away from Nagi No Asukara then; it's nothing but.

Have no fear, I tried that and couldn't get through the first episode. I found all the characters irritating and the basic premise rather silly.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:43 pm Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
Shounen is usually bad at romance anyway.

Depends on the type. If romance is actually part of the genre, I've seen some decent portrayals....
louis6578

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
louis6578 wrote:
Shounen is usually bad at romance anyway.

Depends on the type. If romance is actually part of the genre, I've seen some decent portrayals....

Such as...? ^^;;
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:46 pm Reply with quote
o_____O

Rom-coms, harem, dramas?

Come on, man. lol shounen is a demographic.

You can't just say "an entire demographic is bad at romance".

Rolling Eyes

It just isn't true. We're talking about thousands of titles here?
louis6578

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
o_____O

Rom-coms, harem, dramas?

Come on, man. lol shounen is a demographic.

You can't just say "an entire demographic is bad at romance".

Rolling Eyes

It just isn't true. We're talking about thousands of titles here?

I tried making it pretty clear that I mainly meant Shounen Jump. True, using Ranma 1/2 as an example ruined that point, but the rest was pure Jump. Find one Shounen Jump anime that has particularly good romance and I'll get over my PTSD from the Fushigi Yuugi OVAs.
Raftina

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Scrolling through the list of manga serialized in Weekly Shonen Jump, I spotted just 4 series that are primarily romance or rom-com:

Kimagure Orange Road
I"s
Ichigo 100%
Nisekoi

It is a rather low count for a magazine that has been running about 50 years, but these do not include series that merely feature romance.

Out of these, I believe Kimagure Orange Road is very highly-regarded, not just as a whole but in particular its romance aspect: ANN, THEM, Nihon Review
louis6578

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Raftina wrote:
Scrolling through the list of manga serialized in Weekly Shonen Jump, I spotted just 4 series that are primarily romance or rom-com:

Kimagure Orange Road
I"s
Ichigo 100%
Nisekoi

It is a rather low count for a magazine that has been running about 50 years, but these do not include series that merely feature romance.

Out of these, I believe Kimagure Orange Road is very highly-regarded, not just as a whole but in particular its romance aspect: ANN, THEM, Nihon Review

I saw a little of Orange Road and thought it was... meh. Pretty much some Urusei Yatsura level of sitcom. It wasn't bad, but the romance wasn't particularly good either. And it has that thing with love triangles in anime where I prefer the girl who WONT win. Oh well.

I haven't seen the other two, but Nisekoi is NOT a particularly good or decent romance anime. I guess I'll have to start reading Ichigo 100% to see if that's a good one.
Cam0

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Hatsukoi Limited also ran on Weekly Shounen Jump. I at least found the anime more enjoyable than Ichigo 100% (same author) and I think Hatsukoi Limited is a pretty good anime overall.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5