• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Maintenance?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:02 am Reply with quote
Yup, same here. It's working for me on the mayu-chan server now though I don't know how long that will last.
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:04 am Reply with quote
I could not see the forums all weekend. Will we get some explanation as to what was going on? I thought it might have reflected some reorganization of the forum or an upgrade to the now-ancient phpBB software. Guess not.
SamuraiNinjaDragon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:25 am Reply with quote
Had this same issue for weeks now. Tried again today on both Firefox and Google Chrome and I'm finally able to access different pages and also the forum. It's been really frustrating, and I wish there was a way we could contact the admins or webmasters if ever this happens again. I tried looking for links before so I could contact someone, but didn't find anything.

Hope this gets resolved soon because it has been frustrating not being able to access much on this site. I've been wanting to visit the site and also post in the forum, but couldn't due to the weird error message I kept getting. It was the same 503 message you guys got that said:

Quote:
Anime News Network is temporarily unavailable due to maintenance. Please try again later.

Hopefully this is the last of these error messages. :/
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
It's been out all day for me. I know these things happen, but it's really frustrating when I can see by the article blocks that other people are able to get on and are posting, and there's not a peep about there being a problem on the front page, or FB or Twitter.

Okay, confession time. The difficulty you were experiencing accessing ANN this weekend has nothing to do with the site, itself. I merely used my psionic powers to block you for my personal amusement.

Should you not want a recurrence of this, I'd say a modest contribution to my Paypal account of - oh, I dunno - ... $15,349.36? ... would *probably* do the trick.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Razz

It's not like it hasn't happened to me before though, where a corrupted cookie or something on my end locked me out of a site no one else was having problems with. So when I can see from the message totals on the article thumbs that other people are still posting while I'm getting the outage page, and no one anywhere is complaining or informing us about it, it becomes worrisome.

Like, looking back over the Quote and Character game threads in Anime, they don't even seem to have noticed anyone else was having a problem.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:57 pm Reply with quote
All kidding aside, I hear ya. I personally wasn't having any difficulties on the weekend, but that doesn't mean it can't be my turn next. I hope ANN gets this sorted out.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Sorry for the trouble everyone, there was another Apache outage on mayu, between Sat Dec 10 08:47:50 and Mon Dec 12 02:31:15 EST

Dan42 wrote:
The gory details: On Nov 12 08:50 EST, Apache crashed on mayu. Visitors sent to that server (based on their IP address) would get an error when trying to access any php page. Tomorrow I'll investigate why our monitoring system failed to detect such an obvious failure.

m(_ _)m

You know that thing I said I would do? Well I didn't have time. But this time I fixed the monitoring system and this problem won't be back, I promise.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Apache crashed? Wow, I've been running web servers with Apache for years and can't remember the last time I experienced that problem. Granted the sites I host don't have the traffic of ANN, but I still find that really surprising. For monitoring, I just run a simple script from cron every ten minutes that scans for all processes that should be running and restarts any that has failed.

In any event, thanks for telling us what happened, Dan. I'm sure I'm not the only person here who appreciates hearing back from the staff when problems are reported.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4