• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hayao Miyazaki Working on Proposed New Anime Feature Film

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Levitz9

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:33 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Blackiris_"]
GarethXL wrote:
which really inflated his ego

How so? Explain.

Miyazaki's Oscar win is the start of the era where he became a grumpy old man constantly complaining about modern animators not being good at all, as well as those darn kids on his lawn.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:35 pm Reply with quote
GarethXL wrote:
Ajc228 wrote:
I haven't been particularly fond of his output after Princess Mononoke. After he won the Academy Award for Spirited Away (a technically brilliant yet critically overrated film), no one could reign in his self-indulgent proclivities or saccharine sentimentality.

wow nice to see somebody else with the same opinion as me, and here i thought that you guys in the west would gobble up anything that miyazaki shoots out.

though in retrospect he did deserve the oscar due to the fact that (ignoring the fact that the AA is won by good marketing) the erst of it's contender are pretty much average at best. not to mention the animation renascence still hasn't began yet (around the 2010's imo)

not to mention during the time studios other then gibili which mainly focus on feature lengths all a more serial focus which the academy doesn't take into consideration.

to be frank although i dislike him as a person (he really shouldn't that oscar which really inflated his ego) and company (content flagging reviewers even though they gave you a good review? exploiting employees even though having world renown? seriously now gibli) i would still most likely watch his next work since he still hasn't gone full Lucas on us yet. it's the same stance i have with Gibson as long as he produce good works i will consume it even though i whink that he's a shit of a person.

With ya guys on this. It isn't like be produced bad things. But I can watch the older Miyazaki stuff and be satisfied. A lot of the newer stuff is on technical grounds, good work. But then they also seem to have no big impact on me.

I think this is why I still appreciate Anno after all this time. When Anno wants to take a break he works under or with other people. When Miyazaki takes a break he still has to have complete control over whatever side project he is working on.
GarethXL

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Blackiris_ wrote:

How so? Explain.

mainly him dismissing the fandom and compatriot.

considering the fact that the fandom was the ones that was supporting the industry (before the still on going boom) during the period where niche nerd culture was and is still seen in a negative light.

and criticizing his compatriot who isn't up to his standard when his studio only push out like what 150min of content a year while his compatriot has to push out 10x the amount of content to stay afloat and satisfy the maket.

if that doesn't sound like someone with an inflated ego looking down on everyone else from their ivory tower i don't know what is.

Quote:

Ghibli is known to treat their employees better than most animation companies, even though they also demand much, of course.

for a company that is world renown to treat their employees at an acceptable standard rather then the industry standard akin to a sweatshop isn't really what i consider to be a good example for an industry leader.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:24 pm Reply with quote
As legendary as Miyazaki is, I haven't really been hyped for one of his movies since Spirited Away. It looks like he just can't quit for the life of him, though. I bet it aggravates some people at the studio who want more play, but it's also a blessing, since people will go see a Miyazaki film regardless of subject matter.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Blackiris_

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Levitz9 wrote:
Miyazaki's Oscar win is the start of the era where he became a grumpy old man constantly complaining about modern animators not being good at all, as well as those darn kids on his lawn.

Not really, no. Maybe it's just because the internet became a thing, but Miyazaki's behaviour didn't really change that much over the past 30 years. He's always been direct and open, sharing his opinions on various topics ranging from cars to politics to animation. Don't know what that's gotta do with his ego, though, as he's never been someone to put himself on a pedestral or something.

GarethXL wrote:
mainly him dismissing the fandom and compatriot.

considering the fact that the fandom was the ones that was supporting the industry (before the still on going boom) during the period where niche nerd culture was and is still seen in a negative light.

and criticizing his compatriot who isn't up to his standard when his studio only push out like what 150min of content a year while his compatriot has to push out 10x the amount of content to stay afloat and satisfy the maket.

if that doesn't sound like someone with an inflated ego looking down on everyone else from their ivory tower i don't know what is.

If by fandom, you mean the otaku market, I don't see why he should hold back with his opinions. He's never made movies to get rich, and he was never one to cater to his audiences. His works were always directed at families, so I don't think he "owes" the fandom anything. As someone who works in the animation industry, it's only natural to see its faults and flaws, and that lots of sub-par content without ambition or value is being produced. He certainly isn't the only one to complain; many seasoned veterans and many not-so-seasoned people in the industry criticize the very same industry, mostly for very good reasons.

And I don't remember Miyazaki ever targeting his criticism at someone in particular, i.e. badmouthing the works of a specific person or studio. He's also critical about his own works, especially his early works. Although he has indeed been pretty pessimistic about the state of the industry as a whole for some decades, he has also written many articles to encourage new animators, and advices on how they should proceed if they don't want to be stuck doing in-between animation forever and so on.

Of course the internet is always eager to pick up the most controverse stories, so it is easy to only see a very small part of the whole picture.

Quote:
for a company that is world renown to treat their employees at an acceptable standard rather then the industry standard akin to a sweatshop isn't really what i consider to be a good example for an industry leader.

Studio Ghibli isn't doing any outsourcing work to countries like Korea and China where work is cheaper.
The employees are paid better than in other companies.
The movies are also significantly more expensive.
The studio has its own kindergarten for the children of the employees, as well as a bar room for employees to relax and a garden on the rooftop.
A building with the specific purpose of instructing industry newcomers is being used (iirc).
The working hours seem to be more stable compared to other companies.
And Miyazaki, Takahata, and Suzuki certainly aren't the type of people who drive expensive cars while their employees have to live a hand-to-mouth life.

By the way, what are the reports you've read on the working conditions? I've seen some reports, and some people who worked there seem to find Miyazaki's presence intimidating (that's understandable as he has high standards) or feel that his dominant creative visions makes it hard for others to contribute to the creative process, but I haven't read anything about someone calling Ghibli an aweful work place, or having aweful working conditions.
SejinPK

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:19 pm Reply with quote
JoeOfTomorrow wrote:
koinosuke wrote:

You never liked his movies and the most general of descriptions of this short film doesn't appeal to you. Seems like you aren't his intended audience.

Anyway, I'd be incredibly happy if he actually does end up making another film. The Wind Rises is pretty much the perfect swan song for him, seeing as it seemed so incredibly personal and in places almost auto-biographical, but a world with more Miyazaki movies is one that just seems more hopeful.

I completely get that he's going to layer the story but are you seriously going to tell me it's going to be dark and edgy and thought provoking?

Things don't have to be dark and edgy to be thought-provoking/philosophical. Much of the time, the thought-provoking/philosophical stuff in the dark, edgy, thought-provoking shows/movies that it sounds like are your cup of tea are social commentary. Serial Experiments Lain, Psycho Pass, Shinsekai Yori, Ghost in the Shell, have social commentary.

There are also shows that are thought-provoking/philosophical that are lighter in tone, or at least more somber rather than dark or edgy. Some of Yasuhiro Yoshiura's stuff (e.g., Time of EVE, Pale Cocoon, Aquatic Language, Harmonie (not to be confused with Harmony)--those are what I've seen by him). Ikuhara's stuff fits the bill perfectly (I've only seen Utena and Yurikuma, and even though both have serious/darker moments, I wouldn't call them dark and edgy overall). The Monogatari series, while certainly edgy, isn't what I would call dark, and it has a ton of great character-based, thought-provoking/philosophical stuff. Fullmetal Alchemist and Kino's Journey are certainly somber, but I wouldn't call them dark or edgy in the way it sounds like you're thinking of the terms. One Week Friends and Humanity Has Declined are both pretty light in tone, but have thoughtful and/or philosophical stuff. I've seen some really insightful analysis of Shinkai's Garden of Words.

To assume that only the dark and edgy philosophical stuff can be top-notch, and that philosophical or thoughtful works that are lighter in tone are somehow inherently lesser, really limits the number of things that you can enjoy and find fulfilling and enriching, which is a shame. As someone who also likes thought-provoking/philosophical stuff, and who has seen those things in shows and movies that have all sorts of tones, I can tell you that there is great philosophical stuff out there that's not dark and edgy, but that is just as good as the philosophical stuff that is dark and edgy.

I'm not trying to say that the non-dark and edgy stuff is better than the dark and edgy stuff, or vice versa. I'm just saying that if you restrict yourself to stuff that has a dark and edgy tone, you're really gonna miss out on a lot of great stuff that you may like just as much as the stuff that you already like.
TheAnagelic1

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:55 pm Reply with quote
"Soo, Your Name thinks it can defeat me ay?" Anime hyper
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Don´t work yourself to death, you gave us enough. It should be the "younger" (not that young) staff members that should be tasked to revive Ghibli, as they will need to carry it in the end.
The Wind Rises was a borderline masterpiece too, so he went out on top, regardless of this project gets done.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GarethXL

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Blackiris_ wrote:

He's never made movies to get rich,

yes we all know that the reason he made movies is so he can be the next disney

Quote:
so I don't think he "owes" the fandom anything. As someone who works in the animation industry, it's only natural to see its faults and flaws, and that lots of sub-par content without ambition or value is being produced. He certainly isn't the only one to complain; many seasoned veterans and many not-so-seasoned people in the industry criticize the very same industry, mostly for very good reasons. (*snips)

yes he doesn't owes anyone anything but that doesn't mean he's in the right to insult those that supports him.

and yes a lot of people shine a light on the issues in the industries, but they didn't came out and criticize others for taking up artistically bankrupt adaptive projects, push out rush barely acceptable works to meet the dateline and market demands while trying to just survive. while at the same time has the flexibility to choose any project that he can

Quote:

A building with the specific purpose of instructing industry newcomers is being used (iirc).

i honestly didn't know about this,

but for the rest lets see, i don't know much about ghibli's side projects so if you have data on that it that would be great, but they mainly on average has only 1 major project a year so yeah unless they are cutting corners having a reasonable working hours majority of the time, having company daycare, and lounge area for an industry that is (in)famous of exploiting their employees long hours should be praise.

just like not treating your employees like slave should be praise... seriously now

and i wasn't commenting about their working conditions (god know they are the few in the industry that doesn't exploit their employees fully) but those same conditions can even be done by medium size studios like ufotable.

i'm talking more about their disposition of criticizing but not doing anything substantial to actually change the industry, the fact that (the devil like) p.a.works or a1 sometimes give their artist some creative freedom basically put them-self up as creative bankrupt since they aren't really pushing much boundaries.

basically he got his wish, won an oscar and basically became disney in the late 90's. i'm just waiting for the fallout once miyazaki is gone how ghibli going to compete with the other studios,

and i think i'll stop here since this has gone way off topic
Swissman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:58 pm Reply with quote
I see, some people here have a bizzare hate for the old maestro and Studio Ghibli. What about educating yourselves a little bit? For example by watching the brandnew NHK documentary here? ;-)

"You don't need to follow me [with that camera]!"

"Recently, (visiting) funerals have become common. I hate that"

Ha, honest and direct as always. Stay as you are Miya-san. You're great! ^^
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blackiris_

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:09 pm Reply with quote
GarethXL wrote:

yes we all know that the reason he made movies is so he can be the next disney

He never wanted to be "the next Disney" (and that title goes to Osamu Tezuka anyway), and he even said on occasions that he doesn't exactly like being famous. I don't have the exact quote ready, but there are several passages on it in "Starting Point: 1979.1996". I also don't think he ever wanted to win an Oscar. He isn't influenced much by Disney (as opposed to early Japanese films, Russian animation, lots of literature and Moebius' works among others). His goal was always to make movies children can enjoy, and he did exactly that most of his life. Suzuki even convinced him to do The Wind Rises which was not aimed at children by saying to him that children would be able to appreciate it when they grow up.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:32 pm Reply with quote
So he wants to pull a Van Gogh, aye? Wink Laughing
Well if he's still smoking like a Russian aircraft carrier he just might pull it off. Laughing
jdnation

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Well I'm glad he's back, though it will be very interesting to see Hayao Miyazaki's first fully CG movie.

Somewhere John Lassetter is shaking excitedly.

Maybe Disney will give a CG Miyazaki film a wider marketing effort.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:34 am Reply with quote
Miyazaki will never officially retire he'll continue to make feature films and shorts until his death. The man's a machine. Smile
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:38 am Reply with quote
anddo! wrote:
The Wind Rises was great, but I really can't view it as a satisfying conclusion to Miyazaki's work. Another film would be splendid.

Y'know, I opened the article saying "Oh, so help us, Hi, if it's the caterpillar thing... Mad "

I did a double take to find out it was.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3