• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Masamune-kun's Revenge (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:22 pm Reply with quote

Season 01: Masamune-kun's Revenge (TV)
Season 02: Masamune-kun's Revenge R (TV)

Source: Manga (completed @ 11 volumes, written by Hazuki Takeoka, illustrated by Tiv)

Demographic: Shounen

Animation Studio: Silver Link

Genres: comedy, romance

Themes: harem, school

Plot Summary: Masamune Makabe was mercilessly teased for being overweight as child, especially by a girl named Aki Adagaki. Masamune decides to get his sweet revenge by transforming himself into an attractive, intelligent, and athletic young man. After many years honing his new persona, he transfers to Aki's school in hopes of finally getting his long-awaited vengeance.

Air Date & Platform:
Season 01: January 5, 2017 (Thursday)
Available on: Crunchyroll

Season 02: July 3, 2023 (Monday)
Available on: Crunchyroll

Episode Count / Runtime:
Season 01: 12 episodes
Season 02: 12 episodes

Total: 24 episodes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:41 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

For one horrible second I thought Stark700 had let me down AGAIN (don't think I've forgotten having to make a Kiss Him, Not Me! discussion thread, Mister) and I'd have to make a discussion thread for this series too, but fortunately I found this one in time.

Anyway, I'm digging this rom-com so far. Mind you, it has a premise that is almost no-fail for me: a fat loser dude turned down by a cutie in earlier years has turned himself into a "winner" and now seeks to get revenge on the girl who spurned him. Love it.

So far the humour is working for me and I actually like the MC. He's a bit of a dufus, being afraid of spiders and I chortled at his attempt to act cool after getting stabbed in the hand with scissors when all he really wanted to do was pass out. He has a loli mom and a sister who will obviously be taking the piss out of him, which is cool. Defnintely off to a good start with me.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:42 am Reply with quote
Episode 1:

Hmm pretty much what I had expected so far. We got introduction of the main character including Masamune with his popularity. Aki enters the story in her style.

Animation looks good in terms of quality although the OP song seems to have a lot of fan service. Masamune's voice is how I pretty much imagined as well as his personality. Surprisingly decent for a start so I hope it won't be rushed. Animation quality is definitely good in terms of quality by Silver Link.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Treeborn

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:44 pm Reply with quote
That morning at home scene has me laughing; that's pretty much how it is when you're staying in shape. Minus a little bit of the vanity. And that double standard at the tennis court is too real.

The episode was good. A lot of subtlety going on, which I can see being mistaken as a dull use of time, but I gotcha. That cliffhanger was weak, though, and has me wondering how the director is going to handle the rest of the material.

Thankfully, Yoshinos (best girl) voice grew on me, and the rest of the cast was cool too. Bring on the next episode.

P.S. that OP is perfect!

Last edited by Treeborn on Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:47 pm Reply with quote
(Blah. In the minutes it took me to write this post, someone else started another thread. Oh well).

Okay, I've now watched the first episode of Masamune-kun's Revenge.

So far I've seen three reviews for the first episode, all of them I thought unduly harsh. Yes, the main female lead is unlikable, and the main character himself (the one we're suppose to be rooting for) is narcissistic in ways that can be frankly off-putting. But first episodes are usually all about set-up, and for that reason I think I enjoyed it more than most of the reviewers did. A series like this only works if the main characters start to rise above their shortcomings and learn from their mistakes, and I think we see glimmers of that for both of them. The first episode establishes the base from where we start, and watching them journey to hopefully becoming more well-rounded individuals (ones that perhaps don't treat romance as superficially as these teenagers do) is what I am most hopeful for as it progresses. Its the journey that will make or break this show.

And I don't know about anyone else, spoiler[but watching the reaction of the students to Shigeo's various failings (especially his internet writings)] had myself and my daughter laughing uproariously.

So unless they totally screw this up, I'm looking forward to this one.

(and please... I know the manga that this series is based on has ended and the story resolution is known. If you know how everything turns out, please don't spoil it for those of us who haven't read it. Or at least use spoiler tags heavily.)
Treeborn

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Completely agree with the first part of your comment. Posted something similar on the preview guide thread. And, yes, please no manga spoilers as the ending is the series' meat.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:53 am Reply with quote
Yes, I'm loving absolutely everything about this so far.

I love the premise, the comedy, the two main characters, and the side characters as well. Like, can we talk about how adorable the side characters are!?

Makabe is grade-A quality narcissistic DORK. His freak-out over the spider and the scissors had me laughing out loud. I absolutely love this kind of SUPER OBVIOUS romantic trap plot; this kind of stuff is gold and what I live for. Anime hyper

One last thing........

THE SHOTA IS MINE.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:01 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

This feels like a surprise in a few ways, yet kind of fitting of some articles I happened to be looking up just beforehand. The single word that comes to mind is hypocrisy, and it is one that I think will turn people against the show, but I can’t help feeling that it is a purposeful. The series does not seem lost at all on the hypocrisy of looks being such a judge of character, the girls going off at such a creeper while giving the “hot guy” a pass, but also the girl is as equally adoration for her.

Initial reactions of the main leads is that they are a little unlikable, but my reactions are whether they even should be. Would the male lead be likable if he was overweight? There would be all sorts of preconceptions over him being lazy or something, so the work he put into himself is somewhat commendable. And a number of shows would expect us to just like a female “love interest” because she is the idol of the school. But really, they have room to grow where they are now. Could you say there is no basis for Masamune’s internal narcissism when he has been dehumanised and spent so much effort to make himself more? And so far it feels like Aki’s bullying comes from her own insecurities, like mayhaps she hates guys because she hates the perceived perceptions she thinks guys have, and how she has something she can’t really help.

Like the real response should be that really if that is the way Aki treats people, then she is not worth it for the people spurned by her. Rather than that boy getting so frustrated to try and cut her hair, she simply was not worth the energy, that she was not worth affection in the first place. As much as Aki’s over the top embarrassment of guys who try and “gain her favour” stemming from frustrations of needing to be the object of affection and stresses of her body’s needs being looked unfavourably, she should not care. Really they should do what makes them happy, but perhaps it the problem in the social system happiness is supposed to come via validation in certain ways.

For the record, I am picking up my own personal diet again, just initial withdrawals from getting of soft drink yesterday were pretty rough. Respect to people who can put into action and keep the changes going. A little off topic but my recent regression after most of the year keeping them up was university finals where I was under quite a bit of stress to study hard, which I succeeded by supplying a lot of sugar, and I have a degree now to show for it. Motivation though is tough, and I sympathise with having the distaste of bad food, because it is one of the few ways to keep yourself motivated and away from them so that you can hopefully be happy with yourself. Aki’s case a little makes me think of how some people struggle to actually put on weight to be healthy.

Character I am interested in so far is Yoshino, and I don’t want it to say it is because she is meek and follows orders, nah, her actions would imply is at least a caring person. I am interested to see what else is a part of her personality, and she looks kind of nice. Also feminine “male” classmate, I put it in quotations because I am internally tossing up the chances he is the elusive girl dressing up as a boy character. But more importantly is he seems cute regardless of anything else, and seems like a nice guy, fight you for him Chiibi. Also fujoshi pairings of him with Masamune by the girls around them is entertaining.

And last bit about this being Silver Link, I love almost every single one of their anime like I always being “of course it is Silver Link”. Like last year had Tanaka-kun, Magic of Stella, Anne Happy, and Ange Vierge. My type of shows.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:52 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Also feminine “male” classmate, I put it in quotations because I am internally tossing up the chances he is the elusive girl dressing up as a boy character. But more importantly is he seems cute regardless of anything else, and seems like a nice guy, fight you for him Chiibi.

That possibility occured to me too but seeing him in his gym uniform erased it. lol He's also not in the promo pic either; the girl who looks a little like him has much longer hair and a large bust. So if those three girls in the promo pic are going to be the love interests, adding another one that crossdresses doesn't make much sense.

Checking his profile on the Japanese anime website..."He's a boy but gets mistaken for a girl a lot" Anime hyper

(No, he's mine; hands off :p)

And I agree, Yoshino is cute. Look how short she is. Anime hyper The other girl with the really cute long loop hairstyle and pink bows is also cute. EVERYONE IS CUTE, like I said. (Okay, the Pudding Prince who tried to cut Aki's hair wasn't cute but well who cares about him. I personally don't think name-calling justifies physical assault btw)

As far as food goes....like Aki, I enjoy high-calorie foods and I have low blood sugar. Unlike her, I have the appetite of a picky child. Anime hyper (I'm almost never able to finish a meal at a resturant lol) Ugh, but I love soft drinks and sweets. I have them every day and my teeth won't thank me for it. (I don't care though-SODA'S THE BEST!! Anime hyper)
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Yoshino looks to me like she's just tired of being ordered around by Aki. Not sure why she puts up with it, so there has to be some past that explains it. I'm guessing somewhere down the road that's going to come to a head; maybe losing her best (only?) friend will be the kick-to-the-head Aki needs to get her to realize how destructive her behavior is.

I kind of hope we see more of Shigeo. I can see him becoming an ally for Makabe in the revenge quest.

Chiibi wrote:
(Okay, the Pudding Prince who tried to cut Aki's hair wasn't cute but well who cares about him. I personally don't think name-calling justifies physical assault btw)

Doesn't justify it. But if he's been the recipient of years and years of such verbal abuse, it could have been the last straw that caused him to want to lash out.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:20 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure why the Pudding Prince tried in the first place. It seems well known that the Cruel Princess is going to shoot down any guy who approaches her, so why would he risk it? Baaaaaka.
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
It seems well known that the Cruel Princess is going to shoot down any guy who approaches her, so why would he risk it?

Hormones.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I'm not sure why the Pudding Prince tried in the first place. It seems well known that the Cruel Princess is going to shoot down any guy who approaches her, so why would he risk it? Baaaaaka.

He's indeed a baka!

........did he really think she'd give him a chance? She shot down the blond guy and he was actually hot. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
I kind of hope we see more of Shigeo

You're not the only one who hopes that. Anime hyper
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:31 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
THE SHOTA IS MINE.

Well, if there was a shota in the show I'd let you have him but there isn't so I dunno what you're talking about Razz

He gets a pretty cute subplot later on.

I started reading the manga mostly for the art and it's nice the style has carried over pretty well. While I know the subject matter would be pretty contentious [manga spoiler] spoiler[I actually find it a nice change of pace that we see real consequences for unruly tsundere behaviour.] As you know I've complained many times in the past about girls being total bitches to guys, even physically abusive, yet the guy still falls for them.

Considering the manga's reaching its climax and what we see in the opening we might get a complete adaptation here.

[Edit]: added spoiler tags. Errinundra.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:41 am Reply with quote
For the 1,000,000th time, Vaisage, use spoiler tags when discussing source material. I don't care what YOU find isn't spoiler-y, I don't want to read ANYTHING. Come on, you've been around long enough to know this rule.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10