• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Masamune-kun's Revenge (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Looks like I spoke too soon. Didn't think they'd integrate the Koujuurou bit here. Happy to see it because that subplot is cute. Though in the manga he offered to carry some heavy class materials for her. I'm sure she didn't need your help for 2 cups, bro.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:08 pm Reply with quote
How dare that stupid tomboy class rep yell at Kojuurou. Twisted Evil I'll smack her!!

You can see why he likes Neko; she is actually nice to him and respects him!! Neko was good to get Makabe to rest when he needed it. He got kidnapped but that wasn't Neko's fault lol.

WAY TO GO YOSHINO. Anime hyper I've taken to cheering out loud for her these past eps.

Yoshino's the most reliable hitman ever....er hitwoman? Razz
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Some how I have a hard time imagining Koujuurou being able to carry anything heavier than a cup of oden. So at least now I understand the plot. Fatty is pretending that he is the "Masamune" that Aki had a crush on back in childhood to revive his family's fortunes. How ironic that the only thing the real Masamune needs to do to finally get his revenge of having Aki fall for him is to reveal to her that he is actually Pig's Foot. Ha ha, nice one, dumbass! According to MAL there's only one eppie left, so I don't really see a satisfying conclusion being in the cards.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Rofl

I love how everyone is just calling him "Fatty" instead of his name....but I admit, it's more fun to call him "Fatty". Laughing

Yeah, definitely reading the manga after this....
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Definitely recommended since the manga is at its climax right now. Only like one or two arcs after this one ends. Doubt they'll announce a second season at the end of this one.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:13 am Reply with quote
Neko did kind of win the episode by showing she is really a nice character.

Really in how Yoshino acted in this episode, and how Aki talked about her old boy running off at a critical time, I am kind of wondering on the theory that Yoshino has some responsibility for what happened in the past. That maybe the majority of this show has been Yoshino causing various problems, and even when trying to atone for it. Really the answer will be coming out and telling the truth.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:17 am Reply with quote
@ DP - another good guess and one I hadn't thought of myself. It would certainly make sense. Up until now, I've been operating under the assumption that Yoshina has being doing what she's been doing because she feels it is time for Aki to change her man-hating ways for a more mentally healthy existence. But acting out of a sense of redemption makes more sense. Plus, clearly some misunderstanding drove Aki and Masamune apart. Given the hints we have so far, it sounds like they had an agreement to meet somewhere and Masamune never showed up which is why Aki thinks that men can't be depended on ... there's no such thing as a prince. Masamune clearly thinks he was cruelly rejected somehow which we know can't be true given that we know Aki liked young, fatty Masamune. So what could have caused this misunderstanding? Yoshina running interference would explain it. Maybe she thought Masamune would be bad for Aki and has come to regret that assumption.
Treeborn

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:02 pm Reply with quote
EPISODE 12

Well, what the heck?? It's just gonna leave us like that? I mean, I guess I'm kinda glad they didn't Hail Mary it, and it isn't that much of a surprise that nothing is resolved, but still...

And even the manga has been in some weird " let's milk the hell out of chapter 39" phase.

All in all, the season was fine, with a few great moments. Plenty of laughs and Yoshino was awesome to watch. Guess I'll have to wake a few more months to see the manga ending
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Cute end. and HORRAY LIP-LOCKING.

The karaoke was also cute. I guess singing is not Makabe's talent. Anime hyper

Onto the manga!!
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:22 am Reply with quote
Personally, I found the show pretty underwhelming especially in storytelling from start to finish. The finale didn't do much justice either and to me, it was more of a fan service episode (without the skin).

I mean, it had the play along with a pretty kiss between Aki and Masamune (already hinted by the OP song). I didn't feel much entertained beyond that.

The Gasou drama felt really underwhelming and wasn't really resolved. It just felt incomplete in terms of storytelling. At best, this could get an OVA but I doubt it will get a sequel if ever. Rating this as weak.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:41 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

I will echo that the Gasou drama was never really solved, it was an awkward place to have this last arc and just end it, the very end treating it like he was not even an issue. It did say there would be more with the mention of a school trip, but not definitive if it would be more than a single OVA or just read the source material thing. Personally from watching it all I do feel like the story is overall pointing that both Masamune and Aki have been misdirected and the real character to look at would be Yoshino, but so far it feels like such conclusion will never come.

I do think positively of the show though, even if it is kind standard and not necessarily good example. I look at it and think easily digestible along the lines of something like Nogizaki Haruka no HImitsu, something you can kind of just enjoy for its characters despite the will the or won't they, which is clearly a "will". But at the same time does things like tone down fanservice, gives the leads flaws in their personalities, and messes with the key relationship so it plays a out a little interestingly in a slightly hostile way. It feels like something I am used to, but with a slightly different flavour that I can still enjoy.

Towards the end I have thought that Neko specifically was kind of a cool character, that might have been better if she was more truthful from the beginning, and I think that it was kind of from character growth. Secondly that Kojuurou was kind of a sweet guy I would have liked to have seen more of, he was not even relegated to just trap member of a harem, and there was Tae too who did not get enough. I even think his sister loli mother were underused. I think that it did bring in some interesting things and did not make others stay too much. The biggest open subject was still Yoshino, who had some bad parts earlier with the pantie at the beginning of the show, but overall I think had some interesting characteristics, and feels like she has as of yet not had her actual arc.

I give a rating of Good (7/10), that those of us that like this sort of show will generally be happy to watch it. Generally standard production value, yet also some interesting character points. I can say I liked it, and it is something I can at least say I was happy to watch.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:16 am Reply with quote
I rated this as Decent. For me, it flirted with being Good, but ultimately I think Decent is the more apt description of how I perceive its entertainment value. I had to ding it for not being a complete story. Clearly, the show's producers are hoping for a second season that would adapt the rest of the manga and actually complete the story, but I can only rate what is actually here. We still have no idea what actually happened with Aki and Masamune in the past, but speculation over Yoshina's role in that breach seems very credible to me.

It was an enjoyable enough watch and I would definitely tune in to a second season if it gets one.
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Gonna give a quick opinion here, but may do a more detailed write-up later.

The final episode was mostly okay for me. It became apparent a few weeks ago that they weren't going to go to the end of the manga, so I pretty much expected them to leave things completely unresolved. Overall I rather enjoyed this show. It hearkened back to some of the romcom's I've enjoyed in the past, but in some ways that was its curse as well as its blessing. I have no idea what the reception of this show has been in Japan, but I do hope they give it a second season and wrap everything up.

I'll give the series an overall 7/10. Not enough to get it on my all-time favorite list, but still enough to have looked forward to each new episode these past few weeks.
InfiniteJest

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 7:18 am Reply with quote
Well it’s been 6 years since anyone commented on this. However season 2 is now coming out (SURPRISE) so I watched season 1…

Ever start eating a meal you don’t like but then you think if starving kids and decide to finish the food because it feels wrong to waste it…so you keep eating it even though it feels like bland paste? You wonder how did these ingredients go together? So much just seems thrown in and it’s discordant and had an odd texture.. but I’m in enough I might as well finish. Maybe the taste will grow on me.

That’s this show. It’s pretty much trash. The romcom mix of tsundere and arrogance only survives because no two characters ever have a normal or complete conversation. The MC literally has 5 minute internal monologues while people stand there waiting for basic responses. Characters are introduced with no clear motivations but quickly become key to the hijinks.

And now I’m done. The show left everything pretty open and unresolved and on the same pointless revenge note without ever even explaining the real story or events that lead to the revenge scenario. Just ends…then nothing for 6 years.

Until now. A chance for more bland, gritty paste of romcom misunderstandings. But I’m
Going to watch it because I already ate 12 portions and now want to find out if there is a dessert. There probably won’t be but I’m going to dive on to pass some summer time. Wish me luck. Real details will come with the new episodes.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 9:19 am Reply with quote
Best of luck, my friend! I tried the first episode of the new season and didn't even finish it before deciding I simply don't care enough to carry on.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10