• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) Saga of Tanya the Evil (TV + movie + special) (w/ index).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:27 pm Reply with quote

Season 01: (The) Saga of Tanya the Evil (TV)
Movie: (The) Saga of Tanya the Evil (movie)
Special: (The) Saga of Tanya the Evil: Operation Desert Pasta (special)
Season 02: (The) Saga of Tanya the Evil (TV 2)

Source: Light Novel (ongoing @ 12 volumes, written by Carlo Zen, illustrated by Shinobu Shinotsuki)

Demographic: Seinen

Animation Studio: Nut

Genres: action, drama, magic, thriller

Themes: alternate history, Europe, gods, isekai, military, politics, reincarnation, war, World War I

Plot Summary: Tanya Degurechov used to be one of Japan's elite office workers, but because of a wrathful god, was reborn as a little girl. She has blonde hair, blue eyes, and nearly transparent white skin, and she flies through the air and mercilessly strikes down her opponents. She speaks with a young girl's lisp and commands the army. Tanya prioritizes optimization and career advancement above all, and she will become the most dangerous entity among the Imperial Army's sorcerers.

Air Date & Platform:
Season 01: January 6, 2017 (Friday)
Available on: Crunchyroll, FUNimation

Movie: February 8, 2019 (Friday)
Available on: Crunchyroll

Special: June 19, 2021 (Saturday)

Season 02: Pending

Episode Count / Runtime:
Season 01: 13 episodes
Special: 17 minutes
Movie: 98 minutes
Season 02: Pending

Total: 12 episodes
----------------------------------

EPISODE INDEX

(Clicking on the episode will take you to Tony K.'s post that has a summary, comments, and screen-caps)

- Season 01

Episode 01: The Devil of the Rhine
Episode 02: Prologue
Episode 03: Deus Vult
Episode 04: Campus Life

Episode 05: My First Battalion
Episode 06: Beginning of Madness
Episode 06.5 (Recap): War Report
Episode 07: The Battle of Fjord
Episode 08: Trial by Fire

Episode 09: Preparations for Advance
Episode 10: Path to Victory
Episode 11: Resistance
Episode 12: How to Use a Victory

OP1 (w/ Lyrics): "Myth and Roid" by Jingo Jungle
ED1 (w/ Lyrics): "Come On! Come On! Come On!" by Aoi Yuuki

- (Movie) (The) Saga of Tanya the Evil

(00:00 - 20:00): Part 1
(20:01 - 40:00): Part 2
(40:01 - 60:00): Part 3
(60:01 - 80:00): Part 4
(80:01 - 98:00): Part 5

- Special

Episode 13: Operation Desert Pasta

- Season 02

Pending

Been looking forward to this one. It has military themes in it and the artwork itself is decent. Plus, we have a rather bizarre premise although I think could work out in the long run.

Official Site: http://youjo-senki.jp/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:09 am Reply with quote
Episode 1:

That was pretty entertaining, they fit in as much as possible (without either theme songs) so far. It'll take me a little to get used with the character designs though but I think the action was worth watching.

I really like the thrilling music they used during the fights as well. Tanya's personality is pretty much how I had expected as well. Described as a "monster", I'm liking this so far. A pretty serious show without much comedy but instead shows how war is like in this story.

Pretty sure we'll see the OP/ED theme songs next time.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Show really doesn't look appealing visually so I'm not sure I'll check it out.

Might be worth it to hear Aoi Yuuki sounding all crazy evil, though.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Not visually appealing? Time to get some eyeglasses. This is a visually rich show. However, yes, some of the character designs are a bit incongruous. Most are fairly realistic, but then you get Tanya herself and her female corporal sidekick who look like they are from a different show.

Still, this looks highly entertaining at first blush.
Souther

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:30 pm Reply with quote
I've read a little bit of the manga adaptation, so I was already looking forward to this. Ridiculous but good fun and the final action scene of the episode was pretty hot stuff. I like Tanya's design, she's that creepy kind of cute. Visha's eyes look proper weird though. Not much else to say about the actual episode itself, since they jumped into the war and are saving Tanya's background for later, but it makes sense to do that to hook people in.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:07 pm Reply with quote
First episode was okay. The female character designs are kinda wonky and offputting, though. Aoi Yuuki didn't really cut loose and I hope she'll get to show just how evil she can be.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Saw the promotional art thumbnail and went in thinking that I just have to get through the show to give a reluctant opinion.

Episode 1

Yep, I am totally in. We have villain protagonist on the side of Germany in a WW1 that never ended into the 1924. I am not too knowledgeable about that sort of thing, but was the explanation at the beginning their country being the victims of surrounding mean countries a purposeful lie like propaganda? In the past I have been turned off by things like KanColle because I felt that it was glorifying some of the evil campaign Japan did, but here it is different. The magical elements look to a bit trying to divorce it from reality, but things like the flimsy name changes seem instead to be confronting with the whole thing and I like it.

The first episode also seems to be filled with irony. It is daring the viewer to be on the side of these guys, with a protagonist with a dopey moe look who wants to try hard and is good hearted, while she works under a no nonsense loli who is really strong. We see the titular Tanya in action like some sort of power fantasy, even trying to convince enemies to give up, but as you are supposed to be thinking she is a great character, we find out that really she is an evil bastard. Well it really did not surprise me as I could feel it that she was a nasty piece of work from when she told the two to what she says. Frankly I was surprised she was only going to send them home, that she was not going to kill them herself, that she had the patience to send them to a place they would get killed by the enemy.

It is kind of off putting when we have supposed good government good guys who are against irredeemable enemy countries. That it is not like they would all be bad, and that seems to being played around by our kind main character, how a number of the soldiers around are not so bad, but yeah they might really be the bad guys. Kind of like those recurring jokes I see in different things like web comics or videos.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:28 am Reply with quote
Episode 2:

Good episode considering we got the background storytelling about Tanya including her real life past (before he got killed and reincarnated). I thought the storytelling there was rather thrilling if you consider the circumstances.

The action was good. It also displayed how Tanya's fierce personality is important when it comes to hopeless battles. (okay, maybe her training method are a bit overboard) She still earned my respect this episode.

Only thing that slightly bothered me is that they aired this as the second episode. Felt like the "prologue" should of been the pilot.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:48 am Reply with quote
Damn, this show is cool! It looks fantastic, action scenes are handled well and it's darkly humorous. I'm in love.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:12 pm Reply with quote
I was not sold on episode 1, but if they keep the humor-spigot open like they did for episode 2, I'm totally on board.
Souther

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:30 pm Reply with quote
"Nobody needs God anymore eh? Life's too comfy now eh? I'll show you pal! Back to WW1 as a little girl!"

This was a great episode. They chose to show the conversation with God differently, but I actually really liked the way they did it, with time stopping and God speaking through driver, bystanders, etc. I also love how Tanya's attempt to get herself out of the war completely reversed on her. Action was great, Tanya's a really entertaining protag.....yeah, I'm really digging this.
HuuskerDu

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:40 pm Reply with quote
In episode 2 ('Prologue') we get the backstory: A smug [bleep]hole gets reincarnated as a little girl who just wants to live comfortably in the rear lines and avoid combat. She is smarter than everyone else. She thinks humanity sucks. The war is pointless with aggression on both sides. Her 'god' gives her awful karma and screws her over repeatedly.

She's moe Black Adder.

(The post-ED scene had me in stitches.)
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:10 am Reply with quote
S/he is at his best when she is at her worst. Totally screw a nice protagonist, we have a no nonsense guy go bad girl. I was totally waiting for her to off the who was looking down on her and wasting her time, like when Alucard goes postal. I do feel like I am going to enjoy this show.

And the part at the end was hilarious, with her dressed up all cutely like a doll.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:02 am Reply with quote
HuuskerDu wrote:
She's moe Black Adder.

LOL! Perfect description, right down to the facial expressions. Laughing

Yeah, I was mildly interested after the 1st episode, but I think I'm hooked now, if they keep their tongues this firmly planted in cheek to balance the ultraviolence. "I'll open up that brainless skull of yours and carve the damn rules inside!!" Laughing Also the expression on her baby face while being fed. Priceless.

I think I'm ok with her looking like a furry-eyed toad, but I wish her sidekick didn't also look like a frog.

There's also something vaguely reminiscent of Saiki K. trying to maintain his 50% likeability rating to avoid attention. She's no better at it than he is, albeit for completely different reasons.
scrwbll19

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:53 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
First episode was okay. The female character designs are kinda wonky and offputting, though. Aoi Yuuki didn't really cut loose and I hope she'll get to show just how evil she can be.

Yeah, it seems to me that Yuuki Aoi got more in more evil roles and roles involved in catastrophes after "Madoka" came out. Given how her voice sounds, it is kind of ironic, no?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6