• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interviews with Monster Girls (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:33 pm Reply with quote

Interviews with Monster Girls (TV)

Genres: comedy, supernatural
Themes: monster girls, vampires

Plot Summary: Tetsuo Takahashi is a teacher working at Shibasaki High School and specializing in the physiological studies of demi-humans. His students include Akira Takanashi, a vampire and lover of tomato juice; Kyōko Machi, a dullahan; and Yuki Kusakabe, a yuki-onna. The school also employs math teacher Sakie Satō, a succubus.
----------------------------------

Monster girl theme series are becoming a trend recently. This should be an amusing ride.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1:

This was really cute. Hikari is quite cute imo with her vampire instincts but also just the way she behaves around others, in particular Tetsuo. Granted, we also got introduction of the other main characters as well.

The one that caught my attention the most (besides Hikari) is Machi so far. How can anyone ignore that adorable head of hers? Twisted Evil
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Ooooo, I like this one. Funny and cute. Nice combo. I hope to see Succubus-Sensei in some hot and heavy noctural action, although it is hard to imagine her bringing the sexy.
Treeborn

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:31 pm Reply with quote
My gosh, that was excellent. Truly excellent. Having read the manga, this truly exceeded my expectations. I didn't think they could make a fluid full length episode out of the little snippets the manga consists of, but this looks like the work of someone who had a vision and ran with it. Love it. All the characters and their interactions were fantastic.

Damn, I guess Gabriel Dropout won't be my favorite anime this season Sad
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:24 pm Reply with quote
What is refreshing is the main male protagonist is an adult character, what is weak about it is still very much a slice of life set up which likely means nothing of large drama will occur for the run.
The material is just a few inches short to being something a bit stronger about "different" individuals which can be taken a number of ways.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Initially this didn't seem particularly interesting to me, but since it seemed to get high ratings in the preview guide I decided to check it out. It seems like a fun show. Definitely gonna watch this one weekly. It was surprisingly funny too.

FenixFiesta wrote:
What is refreshing is the main male protagonist is an adult character

Yeah, I found this refreshing as well.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:44 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

Yes! This is what I have wanted since the idea of monster girls just being people started to pop up in anime. I love the idea of monster (girls) being used as a method to talk about alienations of individuals from the rest of the general population, and with the general shift of modern times of being inclusive to people who are different, it is appreciated. Kind of like representations of disabilities or something.

One of the reasons this is kind of a topic close to me is that I have a disability, among other things it was pretty severe issues with understanding social cues, general social skills, learning difficulty, anxiety, and sensitivity to certain things. My own disability is largely invisible, represented I would totally be vampire, actually kind of a joke because I think that a part of it has been a sensitivity to light, that made bright lights like those common in classrooms or officers make me tired, making me prefer dark places, and my anxiety literally made me unable to enter a room without being invited (a common lore even if not in this series). Systems put in place like welfare I can say can be important to meet the needs of those who might inherently need a little hand, I can appreciate the things here.

The big scene in the episode was seeing Kyoko mentioning about a problem she has from being a dullahan, and her classmates trying to avoid the topic to not offend her, but it actually upsetting her. This felt along the lines of difficulties for someone who is wheelchair bound, deaf, blind or something, someone who’s difference gives them real physical hurdles to overcome, but I understand some of the feelings involved. That although they don’t want to be targeted for it, they don’t want to feel ashamed or pitied to avoid the subject, like it is just a part of who they are. Maybe seem like a weird comparison to bring up, but it was like how I loved Watamote, some said it was mean to a person who seems to have real problems in making fun of them, but to myself and some with said problems, it was actually refreshing to laugh at ourselves, in a way the problems faced actually talked about.

This looks like a great anime for the person behind a title, A vampire, a dullahan, a Yuki Onna, and a Succubus. And as hard as that can be to understand, it does not mean ignoring the traits maybe being a part of you. A succubus as just a person, like the problems of being one, has been story idea alone that I have been interested in for some time.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:16 am Reply with quote
this is adorable. it's a keeper
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2:

Kyouko Machi is such an adorable character! I love the character chemistry between her and Tetsuo this episode. In particular, she is shy but is able to talk to him like a normal character. I think it's because she's a dullahan that she has a hard time socializing with others.

Also thought Machi's VA did a good job at portraying her personality in this show so far.
I think her character chemistry with the others in particular Hikari was entertaining to watch.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Eh, it wasn't as good as the first episode, but it was fun enough. I just don't find Macchi to be anywhere near as interesting or fun as Hikari. However I'm looking forward to an episode where the succubus teacher takes the spotlight.

P.S. I feel like ChibiKangaroo is gonna come out like "See!? What did I tell you!"
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:09 pm Reply with quote
You'd think a dude walking around with a head would draw more attention. I know demis are generally accepted socially, but with only 3 dullahans in the world that's not a sight people should be used to. I only noticed 1 guy giving them funny looks.

I know some people out there like to throw a fit when a student wants to date her teacher, but it's hardly unusual and like in this case is pretty cute.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:01 am Reply with quote
Girls having crushes seems to be fairly common, especially with how he has helped her out and talked with her normally, including with experiences and needs. She seems to like them muscles. It will probably be her own growth that he is in a position that he cannot get involved in that sort of thing. With succubus teacher showing up next week, I wonder what trends there may be in that way. Seeing Machi’s life is kind of cute, like her little work arounds, and her jokes.

Not to forget Hikari, she does not let herself be forgotten. Of course she would play with Machi a bit. It was actually kind of interesting to me how Machi would handle her body by itself. The story of Machi separating her body is surprising/scary, I guess they could have contacted someone on the train to look after her body and for it to be at the station until she can reunite with it.

And yeah, would expect a number of startled reactions over a man carrying around a severed head, but perhaps it simply was not the topic they wanted to talk about in this episode.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
Eh, it wasn't as good as the first episode, but it was fun enough. I just don't find Macchi to be anywhere near as interesting or fun as Hikari. However I'm looking forward to an episode where the succubus teacher takes the spotlight.

I agree with all this. Out of all the demis, the dullahan interests me the least even though I know virtually nothing about Snow Girl. There is something about the visual of a character carrying their own head or having somebody else carry it that kind of freaks me out. Do not want.
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
I know some people out there like to throw a fit when a student wants to date her teacher, but it's hardly unusual and like in this case is pretty cute.

It's also inappropriate given the power relationship involved. I started teaching college at 25 so I wasn't that much older than some of my students. While I found some of them attractive, I never considered the notion that I might have a relationship with one of them. I find the more laid-back attitude toward student/teacher relationships in anime a bit disturbing as a result, especially when the story is set in high school. I've often wondered whether it's just an anime meme or a true reflection of Japanese attitudes. Amaama to Inazuma had this problem for me as well. spoiler[Kouhei doesn't do much to discourage or even deal with Kotori's crush either. I kept waiting for him to become involved with her mom but that didn't happen. Kotori is like fifteen (she's in class 1-A) and he's probably around thirty.]

My father was thirty when he started dating my mother, who was then eighteen. When I was thirty I couldn't imagine what he saw in a girl that young. Of course, this took place in 1930 when times were very different from today. He was also the youngest child in a family of seven kids whose father died when he was very young. It was suggested by other family members that he was bit on the immature side as a result.

The first episode suggested that this show would avoid the harem track, but after episode two, I'm beginning to wonder. I'd be okay with a relationship between the teachers, but not one between Takahashi-sensei and one of the students.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:55 pm Reply with quote
I honestly don't think there is going to be any relationship between the teacher and students. I know that Dullie and Hikari called it a date and she might have a little innocent crush on him, but I don't get the sense he looks at any of the students that way at all.

And by the way yuna49, I hate to be nosy but if your Dad was 30 in 1930 how old are you??? Or does the 49 in your usernic tell me what year you were born in?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5