• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sunny milk

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:52 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I did have a problem with poor Shouta being flashed/terrorized daily by Whatserboobs.

That's true, just imagine the same thing happening with reversed genders, big middle aged guy trying to push himself naked on a little girl, all the time.

Edit: yeah, it would be equally bad, but I doubt anyone would laugh at it, or even get animated, as it would be looked upon as much, much worse.

Last edited by Sunny milk on Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:54 am Reply with quote
Yes, that would be equally bad.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:05 am Reply with quote
Yeah, "Whatserboobs" is pure fanservice and invasive to the rest of the show. I was thinking it only funny the vein that she is not understanding the impact of the body she is using, that the kid is in the right, and in a joke that does not involve her body.

Over the middle aged guy thing, for some reason the anime Kokkuri-san came to mind, the first episode having the towel bit, and then the entire of Inugami.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:43 am Reply with quote
Kokkuri-san is different though because Kohina is always absolutely in control and not at all traumatized by Inugami when he gets out of line. She may say "Help, help," (the same deadpan way she said, "Help, police," to try to make Kokkuri leave) but that's pretty much just to sic Kokkuri on him for her entertainment. Whatever trauma Kohina was dealing with well preceded those nutballs showing up.

That said, I can still see why people would be bothered by the premise. They really danced on the edge for sure. In Kobayashi's case, they just fell right off.
Sunny milk

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:03 am Reply with quote
That's pretty much it, Kokkuri never forced himself on Kohina, and not in the same manner. Meanwhile Shouta is being desperate in trying to stay away from a naked Lucoa, but she forces herself on him anyways, or sneaks up on him while sleeping.
Manga spoiler: spoiler[She also raped her little sister when she was drunk, so they make sure to bring into attention that Shouta is not safe from an outright blunt sexual advance.]
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:01 am Reply with quote
Sunny milk wrote:
Manga spoiler: spoiler[She also raped her little sister when she was drunk, so they make sure to bring into attention that Shouta is not safe from an outright blunt sexual advance.]
Not sure if that was even worth spoilering, as the anime has already alluded to that in episode 3. Not to mention the fact that it's a story straight out of Aztec mythology.

The Kanna-Saikawa bit did make me a little uncomfortable at first, but even though we can't be sure of Kanna's exact age in human years it hasn't really been shown that she's significantly more mature than Saikawa, so it's not quite as problematic as the Shouta situation. That's of course not getting into the meta-level ethics of the anime portraying two prepubescent kids in a sexually charged scene, or even the in-universe power dynamic implications of a relationship between a human and a dragon with magical powers. On a related note, I couldn't help but be amused when I saw someone on Twitter argue that the Kobayashi-Tohru ship was problematic because the former is the latter's employer - because clearly the dragon powerful enough to bring about the apocalypse (and apparently capable of magically forging any human document she might need) couldn't possibly survive without doing a programmer's household chores free of charge...

Also, I'm not absolutely certain about this, but to me it looked like the word Kanna mouthed when she was saying what she wanted to do with Saikawa was peropero, i.e. "lick".
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:21 am Reply with quote
Yeah, as soon as the kids started playing Twister, I was like, "oh dear." I'm assuming Shouta's name is a play on shota. So much perviness this episode. When is that dragon with the curvy spike going to be introduced? She's prominent in the OP so it seems weird she hasn't been introduced, yet.
Sunny milk

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:04 am Reply with quote
vonPeterhof wrote:

Also, I'm not absolutely certain about this, but to me it looked like the word Kanna mouthed when she was saying what she wanted to do with Saikawa was peropero, i.e. "lick".

Maybe. Also while the "pe, ro, pe, ro" fits her mouth, there's still one more syllable being formed before it, though that can be anything.
The point is anyhow that she wanted to do something illusion-breakingly non-romantic, after the cut of Saikawa's quite emotionally and romantically loaded little pondering.
From what I remember, the manga translated it as "I wanted to fu*k her", but haven't seen the raw for it, probably some kind of humorous word censoring.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:30 am Reply with quote
Episode 6:

Ah I just love Riko and Kanna's character chemistry in this show. So funny especially considering Riko's fangirlling. The game they played was awkward lol

Interesting to see another maid show up this episode. Not really surprised that Toru got jealous because Kobayashi gave less attention to her. Nice to see Shouta making an appearance this episode and all the Quetzalcoatl moments were priceless Anime hyper

Fafnir and Takiya are also getting along quite well.
I really like all the character chemistry going on in this show.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:00 am Reply with quote
Episode 7:

Ah the beach episode. Even this show has one of course.

Seems Quetzalcoatl has her own way of having fun there lol
Kanna and Toru's race in the ocean was amusing even though it was brief. Toru's making her own version of fireworks was also amusing.

Interesting they did a visit to the Comiket this episode too. I find it funny that others that Toru was mistaken as a cosplayer.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:53 am Reply with quote
I am thinking that it is coming across more that Quetzalcoatl does not understand modesty, that she is largely confused that she gets the reactions, which I think makes her character better.

I liked how that despite this being technically a fanservice episode, it felt maybe the most about kind of where Tohru stands with relations in this world with humans. Like her apparent bias put on her by her father, and that he himself seems to think humans are the evil ones, but also that it makes her relationship with Kobayashi really cute. The part where Kobayashi pulled in the fish to find it too small, it gets away and Tohru starts laughing, it was just kind of perfect, that they are both happy living with each other, nothing else really mattered. And the Comiket had her in on Kobayashi's otaku side, we see that even from her home world she does not fit in, and yet can let her wings out a bit.

Also Kanna. I laughed at the gags of her eating things, like grabbing the crab and just chucking it in her mouth, and then later with the bugs. Had me laughing out loud.
Sunny milk

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:04 am Reply with quote
At least KyoAni made it obvious this time they don't want to give fanservice for lolicons, or Kanna fans.
Apparently everything else flies.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:45 am Reply with quote
It's a recurring gag but it makes me chuckle every time: Tohru's casual bloodlust against/contempt for humans. Like when they are approaching the beach and she notes that with the crowd laid out like that it would be easy to "mow them all down." Laughing
Beltane70

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:26 pm Reply with quote
I definitely have to say that my favorite running gag of this show is Kanna randomly eating things that a normal person wouldn't! I'm actually surprised that the snail that she was looking at in last week's episode didn't meet such a fate.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:06 am Reply with quote
Episode 9

That was kind of sweet, an episode on Kanna's relationships, with her friend, Saikawa, with her sister surrogate, Tohru, and her guardian (mother), Kobayashi. It is interesting we got some context on Kanna's past, that she was given total freedom that you could say she was ignored, played pranks to get attention and got sent to this world, that her relationships right now and comradeship of school is good for her. And really the impressive part of the sports festival with her is how she could keep herself in check, and appreciate everyone else's effort.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5