• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Drug Store in Another World - The Slow Life of a Cheat Pharmacist (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 1:24 am Reply with quote

Drug Store in Another World - The Slow Life of a Cheat Pharmacist (TV)

Genres: comedy, fantasy

Plot Summary: Frustrated with his dead-end job and life, Reiji suddenly realized one day that he was transported to an alternate world. The skill he picks up there is the skill of making medicine. He is disappointed not to have a combat skill, but the potions he makes become popular overnight, and he opens a drugstore with the money he accumulated. And so, Reiji enjoys a slow life made possible with his skill, catering to clients who come to his store.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
camseyeview140

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:26 pm Reply with quote
while it is cute, why do I get the feeling that due to the studio that made this show, it's going to turn into a little sister harem? I know it's not the same team and director, but come on...
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:12 am Reply with quote
Does it really need the little girl character running around in her bloomers/underwear?
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:16 pm Reply with quote
I love this show; when it's not being incredibly funny, it's being incredibly adorable. Definite keeper.

Quote:
Does it really need the little girl character running around in her bloomers/underwear?

She's....not real? I don't even know which character you mean...but if it's the werewolf, it'd make sense for her not to care, anyway. I don't think this show has a lewd perspective whatsoever.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

I was aware that the anime skipped over the beginning of the story, and the last episode seemed to go over it a bit, from, Reiji reflecting on his old life, him suddenly getting to another world, and meeting Noella. Not sure how effective of a decision it was, whether Reiji appreciating the slow life of his new environment could have been better conveyed by front loading that characterisation. Also, I am totally going to nit-pick a scene in this episode where Reiji was trying on the suit, the bell for the doorbell went off, and as Reiji went to check where it is Reiji is wearing his normal clothes again as Paula looks like she just got there. Also, how does whatever medicine revive old clothes that at least the subtitles said was moth eaten?

I am of a few minds of the series. Sometimes I think of it as not great, such as its choice of the weird random montage scene for making things. And other times I can find it charming, such as with that very same scene. The characters can come across as tired clichés, but sometimes are not too bad. My favourite character was Paula, probably because she didn't feel like just another love interest, in fact my reading of her was that she was more interested in the other ladies, although a bit of mixed messages there, like whether they wanted to follow through on her interest of cute girls. And Mina was much more interesting when we saw her inner thoughts, showing her as much tougher.

My other ideas are on how healthy the character was with messages and such. The most striking being where it just makes light of the girl that is violently possessive of her boyfriend, that it is treated as a joke while certainly not if a percentage of such characteristics were in a real relationship. She apparently just needed to sleep better, which is ridiculous. Reiji on a number of occasions disregards Noella insistence that she wants nothing to do with Ejiru, who pretty much straight up creeps on Noella, and helps him with some plans of creating medicine to make him more palatable to her. It was not like it was bad all the time, just that a couple of this felt kind of thoughtless, making light of certain things.

The last episode also had Reiji making a potion so that a guy would be less affected by alcohol, with the idea of being able to impress (manipulate) a woman, not anything like making a point about how much drink people can take should not matter. What was even the point of drinking if you are apparently unaffected by the alcohol? I don't really understand the point there, other than guy being able to trick woman into thinking he is more manly/attractive, because he can put on a show of drinking more.

To give a rating to the series Decent (6/10), which I would largely point to some of its production pushing it up in being a bit more charming, so it at least felt more like something that I didn't lose my time watching.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1