• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Aren't There More Classic Anime Kickstarters?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crisha

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:27 am Reply with quote
I just wanted to step in and say, Ann, you are so awesome. I love the enthusiasm and effort you put into your projects. When you're at the helm of a project, I feel confident in getting a great quality product. You always put your best foot forward in delivering to fans what they want to the best of your ability. Time of Eve is one of my favorite releases sitting on my shelves, and I'm looking forward to having Skip Beat on there as well.

Also, always appreciate your input into behind-the-scenes stuff. So, thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:58 am Reply with quote
TheMorry wrote:
I bet Funimation will start a kickstarter for banner of the stars 1 and 2 + crest of the stars. Because the current dub is just so bad while the anime itself is amazing. I think somewhere in 2017 Funimation will start a KS funding campaign.

Unless anyone disagree with me about the quality of the dub? I tried to watch it but the dub puts me off. I know i love Escaflowne but the previous dub i didn't like so much. Both those old dubs suffer from the VA doesnt sound "clear" and "natural"..
I wouldn't count on it, as that franchise was never nearly as popular as Escaflowne. Yeah, the general opinions of the dub for the Crest/Banner of the Stars franchise are low, but past trends show that "bad dub" alone isn't enough to make Funi consider a redub -- it has to be a dub with cut up / missing scenes, as with Initial D (originally given a "tricked out" dub by TokyoPop) or Escaflowne (missing scenes due to Bandai using the Japanese TV version). But they didn't redo Bandai's Love Hina dub or Geneon's Higurashi dub, despite those dubs being generally considered bad. However, they were "intact" and thus good enough that Funi didn't feel the need to take a risk on redubbing them for re-release.
TheMorry

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:29 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
TheMorry wrote:
I bet Funimation will start a kickstarter for banner of the stars 1 and 2 + crest of the stars. Because the current dub is just so bad while the anime itself is amazing. I think somewhere in 2017 Funimation will start a KS funding campaign.

Unless anyone disagree with me about the quality of the dub? I tried to watch it but the dub puts me off. I know i love Escaflowne but the previous dub i didn't like so much. Both those old dubs suffer from the VA doesnt sound "clear" and "natural"..
I wouldn't count on it, as that franchise was never nearly as popular as Escaflowne. Yeah, the general opinions of the dub for the Crest/Banner of the Stars franchise are low, but past trends show that "bad dub" alone isn't enough to make Funi consider a redub -- it has to be a dub with cut up / missing scenes, as with Initial D (originally given a "tricked out" dub by TokyoPop) or Escaflowne (missing scenes due to Bandai using the Japanese TV version). But they didn't redo Bandai's Love Hina dub or Geneon's Higurashi dub, despite those dubs being generally considered bad. However, they were "intact" and thus good enough that Funi didn't feel the need to take a risk on redubbing them for re-release.

Uhm, Love Hina and Higurashi dub are good enough for me. Crest/Banner dubs are horrible. The VA dont sound clear in that if you know what i mean? Like a cheap mic is used or something. The dub for Gundam seed is also unclear but not as bad as crest/banners which made my skin crawl. It just a combination of poor voice acting and bad quality of sound.. My hime/Otome are unclear as well but enjoyable. Love hina and Higurashi are enjoyable enough. But everyone has their own opinion.

The reason i think Funimation will most likely start a KS for this is because they have the license like Escaflowne for a few years. Comparing that to their other rescues like Scrapped Princess that gets released quickly.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:32 am Reply with quote
I don't really mind if a distributor does a Kickstarter for an old but pretty popular Anime series after all it gives fans a chance to be apart of what they love and you can't put a price on that. Cool
Primus

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:22 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
So wait...the original dub is on the standard release after all? My main beef with that Kickstarter was that a new dub seemed extremely unnecessary (the "director's cut" scenes are like 8 minutes total across the entire series and largely extraneous), and I was miffed that the original dub was only being tossed on a bonus set of DVDs in the limited edition, but if they wound up putting it on the Blu-rays regardless that makes the whole thing even sillier. It does wind up making me much more likely to eventually double-dip for them though.

Yes. Funimation realized that the extended scenes only applied to the first seven episodes, so they printed an additional disc that specifically has the original dub's cut. The rest of the discs have three audio tracks: Japanese, Funimation dub and the original dub.

Nyren wrote:
The director is typically just as important as the voice cast. Their direction can make or break a dub. Also depends on where its recorded too.

The talent pool and directors are definitely important. The Wakfu dub is pretty strange. Some of the cast seem based in LA. Others in the UK.

I think Ankama (the animation studio) got in over their heads with that Kickstarter. While I'm sure they had outside funding (the show did wind up on Netflix) they wanted to do a lot: dub 52 full length episodes, a series of shorts, a handful of OVAs (including finishing up a completely new one IIRC) and produce their physical goods for a bit over $400k.
MadOverlord

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:12 am Reply with quote
There are basically two situations where crowdfunding makes sense for anime:

1) When you're not sure if there is enough demand for a title, so a traditional release is too risky.

2) When it makes the most sense to skip the traditional distribution channels; typically for a title that will largely sell to a dedicated core fanbase (engaged customers vs. casual/impulse buys)

All of AnimEigo's releases (so far!) have been type-2. By going directly to the core fans, instead of getting a 50% or less share of the income, we get ~90% (5% kickstarter, 5% credit card fees; we wrote our own backer management system that makes fulfillment very easy).

Typically, we try and spend about 50% of the money received on actual production costs, which means that we can upgrade the contents vs. a traditional release. And we get to tune those contents based on feedback from backers, which is a big plus.

It's more work, of course, but it's interesting work. It lets us do fun stuff like this: Buff Sculpt

Robert Woodhead, AnimEigo
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:34 am Reply with quote
@MadOverlord

You were doing something similar to Kickstarter years before there was Kickstarter. I remember because I got in on a couple of those (KOR & UY).

I've been happy with all the anime I have gotten from AnimEigo over the years. I'm glad to see you active again.
Ouran High School Dropout

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:53 am Reply with quote
MadOverlord wrote:

Hi, Robert! Smile

Just putting in my .$.02 here...as a backer of all three AnimEigo Kickstarters, I must say I've been very happy with the end product of the two released to date (Bubblegum Crisis; Otaku no Video), and am waiting patiently for Riding Bean. I can't wait to see what AnimEigo cooks up in the future (Oh! My Goddess OVA?!)

Justin brought up "fan engagement"; it's one of my two primary reasons for backing particular projects. The old shows that get my money are part of my own otaku past, and it's my way of saying that they deserve to be discovered anew by the next generation of fans.

My other big reason for backing (specific) projects is that I'm something of a videophile. I've been collecting anime since the [licensed] days of VHS, and I'll do all I reasonably can to see my old-school faves sourced from a native HD master (hence my decision to back Escaflowne, but only at a high enough level to get me the complete series--the movie just depressed me.)
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:22 pm Reply with quote
@Ann,

I have such a profound appreciation for your business savvy, honesty, and excellent communication skills. It is inspiring that you have managed to cultivate a powerful working relationship amidst the male-dominated Japanese business field to bring us these unlicensed gems stateside. Plus, you are so kind and friendly; I am still happily married since your first campaign. Out of all the Kickstarters I have backed, Time of EVE is still my favorite! Anime hyper

@MadOverlord/Robert

I have backed all three of your AnimEigo Kickstaters, and I am completely in awe as to how far you will go to make your backers needs and demands met. The transparency you show in your campaign offers plenty of updates and easily understood data breakdowns of the project's status and inner-workings. You are also patient with us, even when we make things difficult or inconvenient. Smile

If anyone is curious, this is a list of all of the anime-related Kickstarter projects I have been involved with over the last three years:

MECHA-UDE
SKIP BEAT!
Riding Bean
Asterion
Chuya-Den
Red Ash
Otaku No Video
Coluboccoro
Devil's Legacy
URBANCE
GO! SAMURAI
Under the Dog
Patema Inverted
Mai Mai Miracle
9DKP
Bubblegum Crisis
Little Witch Academia 2
Time of EVE

Justin's assessment of the risks and headaches involved in running a Kickstarter are real and very evident, even in the most transparent and clearly organized campaigns. Thinking for the long term even after funding is achieved: The difficultly intensifies in the amount of time it takes to cater to a large group of people with varying expectations and demands, possibly prolonged for a mostly undetermined amount of time. If the campaign is then struggling to fill rewards, keeping the peace and insuring motivation and faith does not falter is a fine art.

But still, even when things go completely sideways, one thing to remember is that Kickstarter policies could actually be categorized as a form of gambling. It is high-risk in that the deck is stacked against the project creators from the beginning, and from a backer perspective, our money has been taken and our further involvement is now completely within the control of said creators. This relationship is critical, and in exchange, we hope for a return on our investments.

Beyond that, I think there are very few positive reasons to resort to Kickstarter, unless your project is speculative and grassroots. Many have tried, and most have failed, but that special thrill is Vegas, baby.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@MadOverlord

You were doing something similar to Kickstarter years before there was Kickstarter. I remember because I got in on a couple of those (KOR & UY).

I've been happy with all the anime I have gotten from AnimEigo over the years. I'm glad to see you active again.

I just wanted to add I have been happy as well. I only participated in the Bubblegum Crisis kickstarter but the product was amazing. The post cards were neat and I LOVE the AD Police keychain. Got my car/house keys on it.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Ann from Pied Piper showed up in this thread!

*swoons*

I'll never wash these eyes again! Yes, if you are looking for a model on how to do crowdfunding the right way, look no further than Pied Piper. Skip Beat! turned into the a thrilling experience and I've "met" a lot of great people in the still very active comments section of that campaign. I think Justin is correct about Japanese rights-holders being leery of crowdfunding due to the embarrassment that would attend a campaign that didn't hit its target, but with two successes under her belt, I imagine that will help smooth Ann's next project, whatever it is. At least that's my hope!
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:02 am Reply with quote
"Skip Beat" is possibly the best outcome for an anime Kickstarter. One reason may be is that the campaign was being done largely by Ann herself. If the release dates were pushed back or some promised features didn't happen, I think the backers might be more forgiving than those that did the "Escaflowne" pledge because Funi is a licensing giant.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Ouran High School Dropout wrote:
MadOverlord wrote:

Hi, Robert! Smile

Just putting in my .$.02 here...as a backer of all three AnimEigo Kickstarters, I must say I've been very happy with the end product of the two released to date (Bubblegum Crisis; Otaku no Video), and am waiting patiently for Riding Bean. I can't wait to see what AnimEigo cooks up in the future (Oh! My Goddess OVA?!)

Completely agree, those have been great, can't wait to get Riding Bean. Smile

Kadmos1 wrote:
"Skip Beat" is possibly the best outcome for an anime Kickstarter. One reason may be is that the campaign was being done largely by Ann herself. If the release dates were pushed back or some promised features didn't happen, I think the backers might be more forgiving than those that did the "Escaflowne" pledge because Funi is a licensing giant.

Yeah, that was great, as was the Time of Eve one. Smile

I think the Mai Mai Miracle one has also shed some light on how sometimes these things can slow to a crawl on the Japanese side too, especially if those creators are already at work on their "next big thing" so it has seemingly taken the original staff/producers double the time check off on everything.

Animegomaniac wrote:
But you're being fooled right there; Maybe you'd have a point prior to the era of the Simuldub but these days, Funimation are throwing dubs at shows that probably shouldn't even be licensed. Dubbing one known quantity is a bigger risk than dubbing a show that may not only finish poorly but be cancelled prior to its last episode?

Another thing I didn't like was that Funimation was using the original dub as a bludgeon to get people to give more money. And I'm still seeing reviews of people wondering why the original dub wasn't on the standard DVDs. Why wasn't it? Kickstarter exclusive, nothing more. They have it but they're not going to do anything with it... for now.

I, like the post I was agreeing with on it, were talking about how we mostly knew what they were doing and what we were getting as backers and most people pretty much deduced (which maybe it's true we shouldn't have had to) that they'd do it mostly in-house for the new dub.

I agree, they should have put out the original dub on at least DVD if they had problems with it on blu-ray for those that want it, though I remember some backer comments where people did want it as a Kickstarter bonus for putting their money where their mouth was as hardcore fans of the series. As has been said, better management of exclusive features for the Kickstarter would have helped as well.

As for what they're dubbing with the new simuldubs I don't know if we can really tell anymore. Even as "simuldubs" they still start a few weeks after the shows begin so they probably still have "a little time" to get some quick numbers for shows that they aren't sure whether or not they truly even want to dub, and all-in-all it's not like it's a change for them since they generally have dubbed 99% of everything they license, but yet they've still passed up dubbing stuff that I think they should have like Buddy Complex (another mecha product, not that it's all that similar to the fantasy/mecha Escaflowne) since they don't do much mecha at the moment, over some of the stuff I don't care for that they did dub (and Sentai sadly passed on dubbing Captain Earth at the same time, which admittedly was a rather weak but very pretty show, but would have been more fun with a dub). They do seem to be much more robust at working with new shows than old ones though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3