• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fuuka (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:35 am Reply with quote

Fuuka (TV)

Genres: drama, romance
Themes: music

Plot Summary: Yuu Haruna is the new boy in town and finds himself drawn to Fuuka. He discovers that they both have love for the same band and Yuu, who isn't too bad on bass, compliments Fuuka's raw singing voice. They decide to form a band together. Yuu wants to confess his growing feelings for Fuuka but his childhood friend and idol Koyuki still harbors feelings for Yuu.
----------------------------------

TV anime adaptation of the manga by Seo Kouji.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Episodes 1-2 (special back to back airing)

Not going to lie, this was really generic (as I had expected)

They got ...Fuuka bumping into Yuu in the typical girl meets boy with panty showing. The blushing, acting as couple, transfer student, etc.

Also, it's 12 episodes so it's going to be rushed although there's some particular parts I'm curious about soon. Seo's writing feels messy so I don't expect much from this adaptation. So yeah, meh start although they got some of the music elements right so far. Surprisingly enough, the OP song fits for this show.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:22 pm Reply with quote
I'm in the mood for a straight-ahead romance and this one seems like it's going to fit the bill. I wish the male lead had a bit more personality, though. At least he has some cool sisters.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Their clothing choices suggest that being cool is very important to them.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:39 am Reply with quote
Episodes 1 and 2

Sometimes you just want bread, a staple rather than something new and different, and few things are more a staple than a romance along these lines, although maybe been a while since we have had something fairly plane like this. I am not too fond of love triangles like this, I really feel uncomfortable when the guy is going to have to turn down one girl. The main duo seem good, he is kind hearted and the twitter thing seems more modern while so far a little underutilised, and she seems perfectly good, although breaking his phone was pretty horrible but she seemed to maybe regret it. Male friend seems cool, totally up for girls not being his thing, as long as he is not a caricature.

Although strangely I found myself maybe just interested in his sibling relationship, him getting annoyed at his sisters being a little underdressed, while they kind of giving no rats because he is their brother. Overall it all does not seem bad, so I can see myself watching more.
Galap

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:56 am Reply with quote
I like it a lot when things take the straightball approach, as opposed to all of this weird self-awareness and one-upmanship that seems to be the norm these days. So the fact that this is completely sincere and direct is really great.

The awkward moments were really cringey, but I find that kind of thing hilarious so I'm down.

Yeah, it's a pretty simple and traditional story so far, but it had enough unique particulars and the execution was so spot-on that I found myself liking it a lot. Plus, I like things about music.

Like how direct Fuuka is; things have progressed between her and the MC much faster than is typical for anime. Hopefully we get some real action down the road. I'm also waiting for the chickens to come home to roost over him not telling Fuuka that he knows the singer she's such a big fan of. When that gets discovered it's sure to be an interesting moment.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:37 am Reply with quote
I can't figure out why the MC hasn't told Fuuka that he is buds with Idol Girl (don't worry, I'll eventually learn their names. I only know Fuuka's 'coz it's the title of the series). If I was wanting to make some time with a cutie like her and found out she was a huge fan of an idol I knew, I'd be using that to my FULL advantage, iffen you catch my drift.
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:09 am Reply with quote
I had no idea the manga was so notorious. After reading up on this, I might actually watch this show now. Spoilers make it sound unintentionally hilarious.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:39 pm Reply with quote
I recall mostly liking Suzuka years ago, so the multiple references to that show are neat. I think I'll like this one. Didn't much care for A Town Where you Live, but that's probably due to Gonzo's adaption of it

Also, one the Twitter handles that replies to Yuu when waiting for Fuuka is Jet Black Wings. I'd like to think he's in contact with Shun Kaido from Saiki K, because that would be hilarious as they have extremely different personalities
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:23 am Reply with quote
Episode 3

I liked the bit of character growth we got here of the protagonist in him coming out of his shell a bit. For some reason it feels like this type of development would be more common for a female protagonist. And on an off note we continue to get continued respect with a homosexual character by treating it like it is no big deal.

And so the drama begins.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:17 pm Reply with quote
My brain watching this show:

"... justbonealready-justbonealready-justbonealready-justbonealready..."

I'm starting to think straightforward romance, even when male-oriented, isn't for me. Every time the idiot blushes or looks uncomfortable, I'm rolling my eyes and thinking of him as pathetic.

I'm never sold on the attraction a character has, which in turn makes me totally unsold on the way the character reacts. I have the same problem with female-oriented shows too, typically, but interestingly, Scum's Wish actually succeeded at getting me inside Hanabi's head.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:

Every time the idiot blushes or looks uncomfortable, I'm rolling my eyes and thinking of him as pathetic.

Lol this isn't the first time I've heard this complaint about anime romance, but in my experience, this is how real people are.

.....at least every guy who's come onto me. Razz

I don't think it's "pathetic" to be uncomfortable around your crush; I'm pretty sure that's totally normal?
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:02 pm Reply with quote
It probably is, but I just don't buy his crush. She was a total ass to him when they met, and since then... what has happened? I'm not coming up with much more than "because they're the show's main characters."

Which would be fine, if we could get a little inside his head and understand what his feelings seem like to him, but even if he's the point of view character, we're still mostly looking at him from the outside. I mentioned Scum's Wish because I thought that show actually communicated what Hanabi was feeling rather than just asserting that those feelings existed.

I also think there's a much wider range of responses to being interested in someone other than blushing and stammering. A smidge of confidence and expression of his own desires would make him a much more interesting character to watch in action.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
It probably is, but I just don't buy his crush.

Um, I'm sorry, but did you not see that ass in jean shorts??? Yeah, I buy his, uh, "crush." I agree, however, that he is a pathetic limp-dick like 99.9 of all male romance protagonists. That's another thing I like about the dude in Scum's Wish - at least he isn't an ineffective, blushing sad-sack.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Sure, I can see how a horny, testosterone-driven male could look at that and think "niiiiiiice." But somehow, when I try to see basic sexual urges in this guy, I come up mostly blank. I'm beginning to suspect they had to introduce the gay guy specifically so main character-kun could show him different reaction, because otherwise, they'd have a hard time convincing me that he even has sex on the brain.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4