• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hand Shakers (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, this was actually pretty good an episode, the fight was even pretty good if but for still low amount of frames in movement, I feel like it is one of the continuous problems circumvented by anime's usual tricks that are not be done so here. As much as Koyori might lack in character department so far, she still cannot speak, I think the episode was actually kind of addressing it. He told his mother off for treating her like a doll, we are getting some hints of thoughts she is having without her speaking, she orders parfait despite the odd idea of corn, and she got told off by Chizuru for leaving the fight just to the guy.

And Chizuru is a pretty cool character as I had hoped. Her character seem based around her being prejudiced by her looks, but that she won't let that hold her back and will fight to represent herself. And her chemistry with Hayate was not bad either, like how she looked strong in the fight by herself, but when he joined her it was even better.

Oh, ah, I maybe had a problem with how the cg backgrounds look in the fight towards the end. I generally was actually thinking the show was being kind of pretty like with how the episode started, But the box CG towards the end looked like something out of a PS2 game. Kind of the fun for wanting to watch was to rag on the show, but I don't want to hate on it just because.

Final comment, seeing them eat that lunch actually made me kind of hungry for a Japanese restaurant not too far.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:47 pm Reply with quote
The characters look really odd when there are shadows over them. o_o Also Koyori's inconsistent bust size is really getting to me. lol Other than those things, the episode was decent.

Blood- wrote:
putting corn in parfait is not just wrong, it's super-wrong.

Lol I would agree....but in the version I watched, she said it was "candy corn not real corn". Anime hyper

Reminds me of a piece of corn bread I saw in a Japanese 7-11 a couple years ago.

It was LITERALLY CORN. BREAD.

A freaking piece of bread with corn kernels in it.

That's not the funniest part though; the package had a Engrish phrase on it:

"delicious bread to make life happy".

As you can imagine, this was quite a long-running joke between the friend I was with and me the entire trip. Anime hyper
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:

Reminds me of a piece of corn bread I saw in a Japanese 7-11 a couple years ago.

It was LITERALLY CORN. BREAD.

A freaking piece of bread with corn kernels in it.

I... I... think I just threw up in my mouth a little...
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Come on now, Blood, it's supposed to be delicious enough to make your life happy.

Laughing

.....I guess I shouldn't tell you about the hot liquid corn-on-the-cob drink they make in the vending machines......
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:16 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure my life will be happy if I never eat bread that has actual kernals of corn it. Let me clear: I love corn. I love bread. But kernals of corn IN bread? So very much no.

Quote:
.....I guess I shouldn't tell you about the hot liquid corn-on-the-cob drink they make in the vending machines......

ARRRRGGGGGH!!! STOP TRYING TO BREAK MY MIND!!!
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Anime hyper I agree with you; neither corn product sounds good at all.

My friend liked the weird drink BUT HE'S REALLY WEIRD SO.....yeah....I never trust him when he says something is good if it looks ick. The man will try anything, I swear it.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:01 am Reply with quote
Strange food stuffs. Reminds me of how apparently people see pineapple on pizza (Hawaiian pizza) is weird and wrong, yet it is a staple where I am. What is wrong is when my siblings dipped fries into ice-cream, the animals.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:21 am Reply with quote
Not that I want to turn this into a "gross food" thread, but I have to share one of the most revolting culinary things I've ever heard. The book-keeper at my old job told me she likes eating cold pizza (which is gross enough) with ... are you ready for this? ...

...PEANUT BUTTER spread on it!

I damn near honked when she told me about it. Apparently, when she and her sister were kids, their brother dared them to do this and they did and she ended up actually liking it. Freak.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Anime hyper

I hate cold pizza AND peanut butter. That is nasty!!

But I can get the idea of fries and ice cream; it's the old "saltxsweet" combination. I've never done that but I love chocolate pretzels which is the same idea, just less strange.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Oddly enough my main complaint about the series is the sound design. The various sound effects are kinda muted and it really kills any sense of energy and excitement. When Tazuna's driving around on his gear sword you should be hearing the loud gnashing noises of concrete being ground up but instead it's just kinda this dull thudding. When explosions go off or chains burst through walls there's no real impact behind them.

Anyways, does anyone have an idea of what that form at the end of episode 6 says? Divorce papers? Records showing the siblings aren't related?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:10 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

Woo, this is finally over. I honestly don't really understand what the point of this last conflict was, like I don't understand what they meant about sick guy being kind because he was apparently only hurting himself. But wasn't he like forcing the sister to do things that were hurting her? Like she was in pain and struggling to stand up and he yelled at her not to rest. I failed to see where he stopped being a dick.

To talk about Hand Shakers is to describe it as a huge beautiful mess. That it is has only been sadder that there seems to be some nice and pretty things in here, but some people had to have screwed the pooch in multiple parts of this show to totally waste it. Unlike some negative opinions that seemed go throughout the show where people went in looking to complain about parts, I will say that I don't that was fair, I think that there were some relatively okay parts in the show, and that it improved on some extremely horrible parts it had early on. It started out like an experiment of trying various things of looking cool, but none of it seemed to mesh well, which is super ironic because the whole thing with our main duo was meshing together to create a strong whole.

I don't want to just talk about visuals, because there was certainly something wrong with the writing. One I think that Koyori went far too long not really being a character, that her interests were left to late into the run to be verbalised, and the visuals were not quite keeping it up. Second was the whole incest arc/sub-plot, it is not like in itself was the problem, I can point to something like Wixoss that had a bit without being totally disgusting, but here it felt like they through the female character under the bus and made her a creep who wants to get it on with her younger brother that she would have undue influence with. I think they were trying to make it like she sort of clumsy and helpless that he helped her, but this flies against the fact that she was like the student president in school, clearly she should be capable and that these contradicting traits were stupid, and how her boobs were did not do any favours. In general dialogue writing could be pretty atrocious, I feel specifically like calling out the professor who was apparently quirky, but turned me off and made me tune out.

I am actually going to go onto some good here. Style was not too bad, a still image of this show could actually look pretty sweet that I could find my eyes wondering all over it and taking in various details. I think from a concept in this way you could show the look to people (well me) and I would not get totally turned off. And from general I could say that I found the characters kind of likable in their concepts much more than I had with K. But it was the execution that undid all of this, that in motion of whatever frame they had it was just bad. It is kind of funny, you could look at Konosuba which had its second season which had character models that could be quite off or something, but it really works so well in execution that sold it so well. There were so many intricate parts of Hand Shaker's character models, but all of those low frame consistent models mean nothing when it is just not fun to watch, and that more can be done by breaking those rules, rules that did not do this show favour.

Hand Shakers gets a rating from me of Bad (2/10), that in general I would not recommend it. Although I ironically recommend it just for others to view the mess that it is, because most certainly there is something learn here. I do not think that it is irredeemable, hey you could actually enjoy parts, I think that I did. But as a whole package, it actually in my mind drives it down this low because it was such a waste of some of its parts.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:21 pm Reply with quote
This show was......truly a waste of time. Sucks....because I thought it did have a little potential at the beginning. *sigh*

I feel like GoHands didn't care. The writing is awful, the directing is awful....the visuals are....well.....yes, there are problems that everyone has pointed out.

I liked Koyori's design; she was quite pretty to look at and her henshin and outfit were pretty....that was about it. I liked it more when she had to communicate with her face. Giving her a voice actually made her more boring.

Can't really recommend this......to anyone. I was bored during parts I should not have been bored with. The action scenes. Geeze.

......not as boring as Glasslip though. Anime hyper
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2