• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Little Witch Academia (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:01 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I don't recall hints that Diana is a secret fan of Shiny Chariot, but believe me, I trust your memory 1,000 times more than my own. That would make more sense because it would be a secret connection to Akko, as opposed to Lotte.

Actually, spoiler[that was hinted in the original OVA].
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:07 am Reply with quote
Oh! Um? I, it is not like there is any evidence of such a thing, it is.... just guessing. Anime smile + sweatdrop

Episode 1 crowd!

Actually, based on a few of these things, Trigger have been doing quite a bit with hiding something maybe foreshadowing or maybe a hidden truth right in front of eyes. There is little touches like Lotte's affinity with fairies or the like with her accompanied by that little fire thing. Makes me wonder if there is only more that could only be understood later.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:27 am Reply with quote
Ha ha, very nice catch, DP, you sharp-eyed eagle. I'm assuming that's what you were referring to, Blanchimont?
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:31 am Reply with quote
Ah, an episode that features Lotte as part of the spotlight this week. Nice. She's a bit of a book nerd so seeing a new book release got her excited.

I like the unusual magical items this episode including that talking clock.

Also really like the background storytelling on Lotte too. I think she has decent magical talent too and especially literature. Lol, Akko got into trouble again. She can't catch a break.I hope Sucy gets her own episode soon. Also, I have a feeling that novel girl will return later in the show. (maybe a cameo..)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Curiosa; On the cover of the volume(s) it's spelled "Annabel Crème" but when Lotte looks into the crystal to check on the author's mystage, it's spelled Annabelle...
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Hanna-Barbera were also the creators of Tom and Jerry, a series that was definitely a favorite with the Japanese. Some of the earliest cartoons in that series were produced for movie theaters and are simply gorgeous. It was only later that they pioneered the more streamlined animation that became their norm on television.

Hanna-Barbera Studios were bought by Turner Broadcasting in the 1990s and later merged with Warner Brother Animation after Time-Warner bought Turner. Since Cartoon Network is part of the Time-Warner octopus, all of their properties ended up there. Today the company still exists, but mostly as a subsidiary of WB Animation geared toward marketing and development of HB's intellectual property (especially Scooby Doo).

Good to see the Japanese producers giving them a hat tip. Many of today's big animation studios in Japan got their start as outsourced gruntwork for those TV shows.

DuskyPredator wrote:
Oh! Um? I, it is not like there is any evidence of such a thing, it is.... just guessing. Anime smile + sweatdrop

Episode 1 crowd!

You just made my daughter squeal and demand I freeze frame that scene.

And that guy sitting next to her... He looks like he might be familiar. Perhaps another reference to the early Hollywood animators?

ADDENDUM: Holy crap, I think the guy sitting next to blonde-girl (Diana?) is Winsor McKay, the creator of Little Nemo in Slumberland and Gertie the Dinosaur (one of the earliest animated films),

https://www.google.com/search?biw=2560&bih=1334&tbm=isch&q=winsor+mccay+animation&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjjsd732erRAhVklVQKHT7fCDwQhyYIIQ

It looks to me like the animators of Little Witch Academia are putting in little tributes to a lot of the early animation pioneers.

Now I'm going to have to go through and start searching every nook and corner of this series...
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Ha ha, that's awesome!
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:48 pm Reply with quote
DeTroyes wrote:

And that guy sitting next to her... He looks like he might be familiar. Perhaps another reference to the early Hollywood animators?

My assumption in universe is that he is her butler, saying something about her family situation. Interesting the same scene from the OVA has differences such as him looking a little different.

As far as I remember the scene is never pointed out, but regardless adds some context when you notice little things in the background, like the identity of GreatBen810. Another one might be the hidden side of Ursula.
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:25 pm Reply with quote
FWIW, the best (and most obvious) indication that Ursula = Shining Chariot is...

spoiler[...they have the same voice actress.]

Okay, watched episode four last night. Liked the fact that Lotte was really the main character of the story, with Akko basically playing support. I think this bodes well for the series, as it means that the writers aren't afraid to take the attention off of Akko and instead focus it elsewhere. I loved the gentle send-up it gave of fandom; it wasn't mean spirited (unlike some I've seen) and was still quite loving of it even when it was highlighting some of its absurdities. And yes, Nightfall is pretty much a nod at Twilight, and Lotte's breathless recitation of some of its more absurd plots was hilarious. Not certain who Lotte's fellow Nightfall fan is, but I'm guessing we'll find out soon enough.

Since they've now done a Lotte story, I'm looking forward to Sucy's inevitable turn. And I'm guessing we'll see episodes for some of the other students & teachers of Luna Nova as well.

Concerning Twilight/Nightfall, so far as I know Twilight never had the same impact in Japan as it did in the US and UK, so I wonder if the writers of LWA have actually spent some time in the US. They picked up on something that western fans would clearly recognize was being parodied but which might not have been so apparent to a Japanese viewer. It seems to me the writers of LWA have a better-than-usual understanding of their Western audiences, and I'm betting some of that ol' Netflix money has something to do with it.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Lol, watch me type as I watch....

OMG THEY HAVE TEXT MESSENGER OWLS. HOW CUTE AND HARRY POTTER-ISH YET NOT HARRY POTTER-ISH CAUSE THE SERIES WAS SUPPOSED TO TAKE PLACE IN THE 90S. BET U DIDN'T KNOW THAT, HUH. I DIDN'T.

Wow, I love potatoes as much as the next person but that's overkill lol

NO PLEASE LOTTE, DON'T BE A TWILIGHT FAN. NOOOOO

THREE HUNDRED AND SIXTY-FOUR VOLUMES!!!????

WAAAAY too much like Twilight, thanks for lampshading it, BEST CHARACTER SUCY. Anime hyper

Aw, that's sweet of Akko and Sucy to help Lotte like that.

Ahhh the bonding of nerds over media. Very Happy

DON'T U MAKE FUN OF COSPLAYING ADULTS, YOU SNOBBY BITCHES WITH YOUR NOSES IN DIANA'S BUTT ALL THE TIME. D:<

The one girl wants to stay....I bet she's a closet fan lol

Lol a loli wrote Witch Twilight.

"A cheeky brat"....lol I like this author.

CALLED IT. CALLED IT. BARBARA IS A CLOSET FANGIRL LOL

Lotte's reaction to meeting Annabel....yes, I think that was me meeting Arina Tanemura. Anime hyper

OH CRAP LOTTE, NOW WHAT DO?

Oh she used a Portkey, I see

wtf Sucy "MUSHROOM". xD she's so random; I love it.

Ooh cool, they used the old European way to spell "faerie"!

Awww that faerie was boring and not cute (lol@ Mushroom Girl again)

So the flames got to Annabel. Lotte was great at persuading her though.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:20 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
Awww that faerie was boring and not cute (lol@ Mushroom Girl again)

Strangely over the last several days I have gotten into a channel that does readings of stories, whether supposedly true or not, of meeting faeries. And come to the thought that better a boring faerie, than something liable to kidnap or worse, and somewhat terrifying.

And Sucy with mushrooms is only cutely wack until she creates something from Dark Souls.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:39 am Reply with quote
Well, I was just hoping the faerie would be a tiny cute person, you know, like how they normally appear in media. Anime hyper

But actually, I have this book (that I'm pretty sure is from Ireland) all about them and how they come in all shapes and sizes and some are cute and some are uglier than sin. lol

The artwork is really.....interesting.

https://books.google.com/books?id=42iNMuRz4hkC&lpg=PA1&pg=PT8#v=onepage&q&f=false
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:09 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
But actually, I have this book (that I'm pretty sure is from Ireland) all about them and how they come in all shapes and sizes and some are cute and some are uglier than sin. lol

I kind of spent much of my high school lunch hours poring over books in the section of books that could not be borrowed which had info on mythological beasts, demons, fairies, vampires, occult, old fairy tales, and the like. An Irish family background also gives some interest.

An encyclopaedia on different creatures can be a huge interest of me. Just going through a monster guide for Dungeons and Dragons is something I like to do. This just all leads to I wish I was in a magical world.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:50 am Reply with quote
In that case, I highly recommend Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them

But I bet you've already seen it, eh? Smile
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
In that case, I highly recommend Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them

But I bet you've already seen it, eh? Smile

Smile You don't think I went all over and studied the book when it first came out, and then years since last reading it watched the movie and tried to recognise the creatures from the book? And yeah, I really enjoyed the movie, it touched on the magical creatures side that I think was not as strong in the other movies or got the focus in the main series that I wanted. I could even recall the ape as having fur often used in invisibility cloaks.

More low key, but I also personally quite liked the movie Maleficent for all the various creatures. I know some people did not like that one, but I came out of the movie just thinking that I liked seeing them. Total mythical creature nerd. Liked the TV series Supernatural for the longest time, liked guessing things, until I think a fatigue of variety hit. Little Witch Academia has a style similar to certain old pictures which have me interested, in a classic faeries way, like Rage of Bahamut's ED. I don't know, I am probably just rambling now, maybe not making sense.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 11