• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Do Japanese Kids Carry Handkerchiefs?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:56 am Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Ever wonder why tissues were the consolation prize for losing contests or lotteries in both real life and in anime and games (like Shadow Hearts)? Well there you go. It's not surprising when you consider Japan's rather practical approach to good hygiene.

If some of the claims being made are true I don't know how not having tissue in a bathroom let alone soap to wash your hands with is a practical approach.
Paiprince

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:19 am Reply with quote
This question just asserts my belief that the US has a really weird view when it comes to hygiene. Why waste tons and tons of paper just to keep your hands dry when you can recycle a linen or silk clothe to do the same function much more? Then again, this is the same country that's so averse about the idea of using water to clean one's bum...
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:34 am Reply with quote
WOW I guess that they really do need handkerchiefs in Japan and here I thought that they were just used in Anime as a joke. Smile
relyat08

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:41 am Reply with quote
ultimatehaki wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:
Weird. I suppose I have watched other kinds of anime because I have never noticed that children with handkerchiefs was that common.

They're really only in school-based anime so if that's not your thing you probably won't ever see it. Or you may have just not noticed.

I watch a lot of school anime but never really noticed it, personally. Looking back, I can think of quite a few times now though. It just struck me as one of those things that was there for dramatic reasons(what good romance skips the borrowed handkerchief trope?) and not actually important enough to care about. It is interesting to know that it's actually more grounded in real life. Thanks for asking the question. Smile
LadyKuzunoha

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 3:13 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
Sakagami Tomoyo wrote:
Quote:
Pockets are a thing.

In skirts that short? That doesn't seem likely.

Considering how some schoolgirls hitch their skirts to that length by rolling them at the waist, I can imagine that handkerchiefs would tuck nicely in one of the folds there. Also, speaking as a bra-wearer, they make decent pockets for flat items as well, provided you're not sweating TOO much at the moment. So there's at least two options without resorting to more, uh, drastic measures.
Herald Of JOJO

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 3:28 am Reply with quote
Afezeria wrote:
This might as well be a question that showcased huge cultural differences. People in my country carries handkerchief for most of the time when they are outside, either man or woman (though girls are more likely to brought one with them), according to my observation any way. Tissues are used as well since it's easy to dispose of (throw it off the sidewalk and voila), but handkerchiefs are generally used more often due to multi purposes. It can be used to wipe dust away, and can actually bore more ammunition Laughing (used several times before being dirty entirely.) Anyway, honestly at first, I felt that the question was rather silly but I read the answer/comments and was explained.

Huh, really. I'm from Malaysia as well. I live in Sarawak and I've only ever seen a single person carry a handkerchief with them here.

I can understand why people would carry around handkerchiefs as they have a lot of uses. However, the cleanliness-obsessive part of me despises using a handkerchief for blowing your nose especially since you keep in your pocket afterwards. I'm open to the possibility that I'm being absurdly manic about it.
Afezeria

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 4:49 am Reply with quote
Herald Of JOJO wrote:
Wow, what a pleasant surprise! From Sarawak, huh? I felt like going there sometimes but alas, no expenses so far capable of being generated by me. Hope the weather is doing good, because the state where I am at seemed to be suffering from unstable weather.
Setting apart from unrelated topic, I'm guessing the chances of seeing people carrying handkerchiefs with them will be heavily influenced by humidity or either how hot it might get. Since the state where I'm residing in very close to the ocean, rainy weather is rather frequent, and so you got people sneezing all over the place and most from what I can see, women tend to use handkerchiefs to wipe their noses or used tissues too, though the latter seemed to be more common. Some man does the same but a lot usually just used their own hands to clean themselves. This particular sequence played out a roll of film in the days of constant heat too. Of course, this sentences of mine relied purely on my own observation and is in no way a professional look at this thing that we are conversing about. I'm simply just providing an outlook. Things happened differently in different states and countries after all.
Concerning your behavior, well, I'm guessing it's just another case of variety of attitudes. Some people I knew don't mind reusing the same towel again and kept blowing their noses at it until it is drenched, and some don't used anything at all with the exception of their own hand and spread that mucus on the damn wall. Strong hygience problem.
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:01 am Reply with quote
Tho carrying around a packet of tissues for nose blowing is common here in the USA, the only time someone would really carry a handkerchief or moist towelette etc, is when you're going to the amusement park or some other event where you know for sure you'll be in the sun and moving all day. It's definitely not a regular basis thing tho.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:12 am Reply with quote
Paiprince wrote:
This question just asserts my belief that the US has a really weird view when it comes to hygiene. Why waste tons and tons of paper just to keep your hands dry when you can recycle a linen or silk clothe to do the same function much more? Then again, this is the same country that's so averse about the idea of using water to clean one's bum...

Are you serious ? Shocked
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:08 am Reply with quote
Paiprince wrote:

Yes, because blowing huge wads of snot into a piece of cloth that you then keep shoving into your pocket sounds totally appealing!

(And yes, we tend to pass on the cold water enemas too.)
Paiprince

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Paiprince wrote:

Yes, because blowing huge wads of snot into a piece of cloth that you then keep shoving into your pocket sounds totally appealing!

(And yes, we tend to pass on the cold water enemas too.)

And using tons of rough wipes which you just dump down the porcelain and hoping it'll flush down is of the same equivalent? Please. Rolling Eyes Snot is the least of your worries when it comes to bodily excrements hanging on to you.

Who says you should be stuck with cold water (and enemas at that too? wtf.)? Japan has it right when it comes to toilet technology, with everything like heated seats and temp settings to use warm water at your pleasure. The only thing it lacks is wifi capability. Bidets are a good thing and if you and others aren't so keen on it, fine, but give the rest of us options while we're staying here.
Herald Of JOJO

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Afezeria wrote:
Herald Of JOJO wrote:
Wow, what a pleasant surprise! From Sarawak, huh? I felt like going there sometimes but alas, no expenses so far capable of being generated by me. Hope the weather is doing good, because the state where I am at seemed to be suffering from unstable weather.
Setting apart from unrelated topic, I'm guessing the chances of seeing people carrying handkerchiefs with them will be heavily influenced by humidity or either how hot it might get. Since the state where I'm residing in very close to the ocean, rainy weather is rather frequent, and so you got people sneezing all over the place and most from what I can see, women tend to use handkerchiefs to wipe their noses or used tissues too, though the latter seemed to be more common. Some man does the same but a lot usually just used their own hands to clean themselves. This particular sequence played out a roll of film in the days of constant heat too. Of course, this sentences of mine relied purely on my own observation and is in no way a professional look at this thing that we are conversing about. I'm simply just providing an outlook. Things happened differently in different states and countries after all.
Concerning your behavior, well, I'm guessing it's just another case of variety of attitudes. Some people I knew don't mind reusing the same towel again and kept blowing their noses at it until it is drenched, and some don't used anything at all with the exception of their own hand and spread that mucus on the damn wall. Strong hygience problem.

Umm, the weather right now, in Kuching at the very least, is usually hot and sunny late mornings followed by, normally brief, afternoon heavy rain and cool nights. It's pretty daily at this point. Even then, I've never seen anyone with a handkerchief in recent memory, though that may be subject to skepticism.

I can totally understand that it depends on the person's attitude. I'm just a bit more fussy over hygiene than most people I know, even with my awareness that a snotty handkerchief won't kill me.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 2:00 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
If some of the claims being made are true I don't know how not having tissue in a bathroom let alone soap to wash your hands with is a practical approach.

That one I...can't really answer.
Wasureta

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Below are my experiences and observations about handkerchiefs:

1. Don't count on finding paper towels or air dryers in non-chain restaurants. Your favorite ramen place probably doesn't have it (not to mention western-style toilets)
2. They're great for wiping sweat off of you on humid summer days; however, I actually carry a moist face towel in my bag. I rinse out the sweat every night.
3. Men carry man-purses because the Japanese has such huge wallets. Their wallets not only hold paper money, but also loyalty (point) cards, credit cards, business cards, and also small change. Their bills are also larger than US dollars. Bento boxes and handkerchiefs are also in them.
4. School uniforms for females have pockets that are hidden in the pleats or seam.

Last edited by Wasureta on Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:52 am Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:

That one I...can't really answer.

It's a dirty job but some simply can't do it Razz
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4