• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Do Japanese Kids Carry Handkerchiefs?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
_Quasar_

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:39 am Reply with quote
KutovoiAnton wrote:
I'm more surprised that Americans usually don't carry handkerchiefs with them, rather than that Japanese always having one.

Yeah.

I carry em a lot. Mostly during cold seasons. Did not realise that hankerchiefs ere uncommon in the US.
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Paiprince wrote:
This question just asserts my belief that the US has a really weird view when it comes to hygiene. Why waste tons and tons of paper just to keep your hands dry when you can recycle a linen or silk clothe to do the same function much more?
Beyond being useful for opening bathroom doors since some savages won't wash their hands on the way out, it's more sanitary to throw germs away rather than shove them in a pocket to fester.
Quote:
And using tons of rough wipes which you just dump down the porcelain and hoping it'll flush down is of the same equivalent? Please.
If you have to hope, you're doing it wrong. If circumstances require large quantities, just flush midway through. It's not rocket science.
_Quasar_ wrote:
I carry em a lot. Mostly during cold seasons. Did not realise that hankerchiefs ere uncommon in the US.
Most people don't need them: there's always something to dry your hands with(and if there isn't, pants are perfectly acceptable) and coughing is directed to the hand or elbow.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Never imagined this would be such a controversial topic. And literally lead to arguments over bathroom hygiene. Laughing
Paiprince

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
Paiprince wrote:
This question just asserts my belief that the US has a really weird view when it comes to hygiene. Why waste tons and tons of paper just to keep your hands dry when you can recycle a linen or silk clothe to do the same function much more?
Beyond being useful for opening bathroom doors since some savages won't wash their hands on the way out, it's more sanitary to throw germs away rather than shove them in a pocket to fester.
Quote:
And using tons of rough wipes which you just dump down the porcelain and hoping it'll flush down is of the same equivalent? Please.
If you have to hope, you're doing it wrong. If circumstances require large quantities, just flush midway through. It's not rocket science.

You make it sound like snot is going to mutate into a bioweapon. It's not. Just simply wash the handkerchief down if it turns out to be a mess.

Tell that to the majority of geniuses at public bathrooms. Apparently, common bathroom etiquette is lost in this setting. Also, I'm not to keen about shoving my hand down the bowl with the odor wafting while I clean myself.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:12 am Reply with quote
I'll be honest. It just seems a little weird for kids to be going around with handkerchiefs. I've often seen them on adult men in suits,but I've often thought,that's just for work or trying to be formal or something. It might be a tradition in Japan to do that. You don't often see kids in America doing that. It would be considered a little odd for American kids to carry handkerchiefs around.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4