• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your Favorite Anime/Manga Couple?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Heishi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:56 pm Reply with quote
But Himeko didn't see Chikane as someone sexy, she saw someone as special.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Special? Most definitely. Potential lover? Well, her past life forced her to see it that way in the end.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Heishi wrote:
I could argue that would be the case because she did looked at Chikane quite deeply, blushing red. Chikane did the same. It marks a sort of "love at first sight" meeting.

Lol you're not helping the ship's case because "love at first sight" is one of the dumbest, laziest tropes you could ever use when writing a romance series. Gravitation also used it and harem shows use it ALL the time because they don't want to bother coming up with something that makes more sense and takes effort to write.
Raftina

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:31 pm Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
Well, no. She wanted to be drafted into it. She had that past relationship with him that he didn't know about.

I seem to recall that was an OVA exclusive plot point: It was absent from both the source manga and the TV series. While you could say the OVA is the most well-known version of the story in the Anglosphere, I do not believe Psycho 101's description of Keiichi and Belldandy's relationship fit the OVA portrayal very well--it did not have sufficient time to develop a fully realized relationship as he described.
louis6578

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Raftina wrote:
louis6578 wrote:
Well, no. She wanted to be drafted into it. She had that past relationship with him that he didn't know about.

I seem to recall that was an OVA exclusive plot point: It was absent from both the source manga and the TV series. While you could say the OVA is the most well-known version of the story in the Anglosphere, I do not believe Psycho 101's description of Keiichi and Belldandy's relationship fit the OVA portrayal very well--it did not have sufficient time to develop a fully realized relationship as he described.

Oh, well yeah. Then Belldandy is just a waifu to the extreme. She's an escapist character for you to fantasize about, not a real person in any sense. Honestly, that bothered me in the OVA too, even after the plot twist was revealed. I mean... damn. Doesn't she have other goddess stuff to do? Isn't obeying this kid's girlfriend wish taking up too much time? Shouldn't you be a little mad!?
Heishi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Well, she chose her own feelings for Chikane so its not like she had no choice in the matter.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:58 pm Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:

Oh, well yeah. Then Belldandy is just a waifu to the extreme. She's an escapist character for you to fantasize about, not a real person in any sense. Honestly, that bothered me in the OVA too, even after the plot twist was revealed. I mean... damn. Doesn't she have other goddess stuff to do? Isn't obeying this kid's girlfriend wish taking up too much time? Shouldn't you be a little mad!?

YES. THIS is why I don't like Oh! My Goddess. I did used to when I was younger.....and then as I got older and really got into what makes characters interesting, I was like......"Belldandy is not a person....also, why do they never fight!?" And I started disliking the series. I've heard the manga is better with this issue....but the manga is super-long after all.

Quote:
Well, she chose her own feelings for Chikane so its not like she had no choice in the matter.

She chose Chikane because the authors wanted her to and it really shows. In other words: it's forced. Sloppy execution and it contradicts her character up until then by a lot. Like I said before, it's an insulting choice on every level.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:19 am Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
Vaisaga wrote:

Isn't the problem with that relationship the fact that Belldandy was forced to be with him because of his wish? It's almost like a magical case of Stockholm Syndrome or something.

As pointed out they do have a history that Kei does not remember. Plus despite his wish to have a goddess to be by his side always there are multiple times where that wish is nullified in essence. Beyond that it goes back to my earlier point of their relationship growing and them growing as a couple. Especially when you read later chapters in the manga when they go to the devil realm and after.

The same could be said of Aoi as she was promised to Kaoru as a child before he left this family. She at first finds him because of the arrangement but it quickly becomes evident there is much more to it. They too grow beyond that initial reason of why they were together and the relationship becomes something far more and far deeper then when they started.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:14 am Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
The same could be said of Aoi as she was promised to Kaoru as a child before he left this family.

That's different because there's no magic binding them together. It's made quite clear that Aoi has always genuinely loved Kaoru and wants to be with him even when her family tries to break off their engagement.

In general I do find Belldandy pretty boring. Her perfection is portrayed as something completely natural to her. Aoi is more endearing because she became the perfect waifu by putting in the effort to get to that point.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:00 am Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
Quote:
Doesn't she have other goddess stuff to do? Isn't obeying this kid's girlfriend wish taking up too much time?

Belldandy has been around for thousands of years and will be around for many thousand more. Her time with Kichi is more like a brief vacation than an major interruption. In the manga it is pointed out that the tragedy of their relationship is that it is so short. The magic binding them together breaks down early and frequently and Bell shows no sign of wanting to leave. In fact she has quite a jealous streak that shows up when ever someone makes moves on K1.

And yes, the "earlier meeting" is OVA original. It doesn't show in the manga. Bell hasn't been a child in a very long time.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Hmm... after giving it some thought, I think I'll go for Renton x Eureka from Eureka Seven. There are several reasons for it, but I think the main one is that they both had to work to become worthy of one another. I suppose I could go into all the personal (and sometimes physical) growth that both of them had to endure, but anyone who has seen the series knows about all of that. Also, I liked the idea that in the end, their love allowed them to become more together than they were apart.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:01 pm Reply with quote
I actually prefer Renton and Eureka's relationship as seen in the movie. Not too sure why, maybe because they have an established history together and don't spend almost all their time fighting and then making up.

The rest of the movie is shit, though.
louis6578

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, there are two main types of anime romances, the "become a couple at the end with a lot of meandering and misunderstandings leading up to it" and the "actual study of relationships once formed."

Eureka 7 is the former, but I'd say it's one of the best examples of it.
Crisha

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:54 pm Reply with quote
My favorite relationships are between couples that are friends and partners (in combat, in a combined goal, in a job, etc) that eventually grow to have romantic feelings (of course, how canonical it is is up to debate). So, I guess, demi-sexual in a way? I don't tend to care as much for the ones that have an immediate attraction, lust, or feelings (love at first sight). I'd rather see a gradual, emotional bond grow over time.

Such as one of my favorite couples, as already mentioned in this thread and as illustrated by my avatar, Ahiru & Fakir from Princess Tutu. I love the gradual shift to their relationship throughout the show. spoiler[First, their antagonism towards one another, then eventually finding common ground and purpose through Mytho, then supporting one another in their individual battles, then completely trusting and finding emotional comfort in one another. AAAH, it's so adorable! And that pas de deux was so heart-warming. I personally thought the ending was perfect for the series. It had the perfect emotional catharsis. I'd rather leave all future speculation in the hands of fans as to where things go than to have the creators potentially ruin their own creation. It ended with Ahiru accepting who she is without letting it completely hold her back and being happy for Rue and Mytho. Also, Fakir accepts her for who she is and promises to stay with her, which is made more powerful by the fact that she is a duck. The series implies that both may have deeper feelings for each other (with Fakir's being more apparent). It's hopeful with its ending, with Fakir sitting down to write a story. I think the implications are pretty strong that he could possibly write her as a human again, and there have been thoughtful fanfics to approach that subject.]

Another favorite of mine would be Maka & Soul from Soul Eater. Meister/weapon pairs are just rife with the potential for shipping, because it requires them to harmonize their souls together and form close bonds. I love watching them fight together, find their rhythm, argue, and worry over one another. There is a lot of trust and companionship built up over time between the two.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
louis6578

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:13 am Reply with quote
^

100% agree with everything you said about Princess Tutu's ending. Lets just be happy that it was something of a cult hit and not an anime phenomenon like Code Geass. We'd be having Princess Tutu 2: Drosselmeyer strikes back, or some crud.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 14