• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your Favorite Anime/Manga Couple?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Shocked

Where is that picture from!?

Raftina wrote:

I do not see how that is boring.

Well, it is terribly boring to me. because I like shippage. :p When a boy and girl get really close in media, it's too tempting to not ship them. Particularly in anime. Not always but 8/10 times....yes.

How many of us here wanted One-Week Friends to be spoiler[a lot more than friends?]. A LOT of us, I think?

Of course forced romance isn't good either and I have a big issue with this in.......well, almost every superhero movie made after Spider Man of the 2000s. lol I hated the love story in Thor. That was like the most unnatural, forced thing ever. They could have just been friends in that movie....or it could have been a little kid admiring Thor or something....he did not need a girlfriend. Captain America didn't need one either.....lots of superheroes don't need them....arrrrghhhh (Pepper Pots was ok and so was Deadpool's girl....the plot did need them and they weren't bland characters either)

And then you have your cases where the best female friend SHOULD have been the hero's girlfriend but spoiler[isn't "because the author wanted to do something different". Like in Harry Potter. When I was younger, I shipped RonxHermione like "I was supposed to" because of their love-hate thing. Now that I'm older, I think I was foolish because Harry and Hermione DO have better chemistry and a stronger, healthier relationship overall. (Of course we can put a lot of blame on David Yates who directed the movies because that's what HE liked. Anime hyper) Even J.K. Rowling admits that they should have been together. It was just something she hadn't realized until she finished writing the books so now all the HxH fans are slapping our foreheads.]
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:11 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
Shocked

Where is that picture from!?

Toradora's PSP Visual-Novel
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:17 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
Well, it is terribly boring to me. because I like shippage. :p

You can always ship them with other people?

Chiibi wrote:
How many of us here wanted One-Week Friends to be spoiler[a lot more than friends?]. A LOT of us, I think?

I think that handled things pretty well. spoiler[While the main premise of the series is their friendship there is a lot suggesting they could become more than at later on. But the show is about "One Week Friends" not "One Week Lovers."]

You bring Marvel into this, direct your attention to Steve and Natasha. While I ship the hell out of them it is nice that they're shown to be so close but aren't romantically involved.

... Trying to ship her with Hulk, now that's BS.
Cam0

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:59 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:

You mean like ship the main character with someone other than the heroine? Impossibru. That is against the anime law... Razz
Night fox

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:58 am Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
You mean like ship the main character with someone other than the heroine? Impossibru. That is against the anime law... Razz

Yes, it's right there in the ten anime commandments:

"The hero shalt not covet anyone except the heroine." Wink
Crisha

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:43 am Reply with quote
Y'know, while I can see and understand both sides of the argument, I'm personally in Chiibi's camp. If I see two people with good chemistry and a healthy, developing companionship, I'm usually not sitting there thinking to myself, "Wow, I can't wait to watch these two form a great friendship and nothing else!" No, more often than not, I want them to develop their companionship into an eventual romance, because I'm a romantic at heart and I get my romance satisfied vicariously through fictional couples I watch/read.

My favorite couples tend to be those that are partners, friends, and lovers. I enjoy watching the couple form a strong, emotional bond outside of a sexual attraction. In fact, in a lot of my favorite couples, the romantic/sexual attachment doesn't come until later (if it even canonically happens in the show) after the couple have formed a strong bond/partnership (i.e. Ahiru/Fakir and Maka/Soul).

So as for my answer to these questions:
Vaisaga wrote:
Okay, but why did it have to be romantic love? Why can't we ever have a show where the male and female leads are close friends but they get together with other people?

If I'm really attached to a certain pair or couple, why should I just settle for them being friends when what I really want is the whole kit-and-caboodle? I want the partners, friends, and lovers. I want the buddy-buddy friendship, the camaraderie, the tough love, the teasing, the emotional attachment, the shared desires, and the romantic/sexual attraction.

Is it mushy, idealistic cheese? Yes! Am I occasionally frustrated with my own preference for wanting relationships to have romance in them? Yes!

I could put forth theories on my desire to see romance in all of my favorite couples as being an off-shoot of not having any romance in my own life. As an asexual who enjoys her independence from such bonds, perhaps this is my subconscious way of dealing with my hormones. My mom enjoyed romance novels up until the point she hit menopause, and now finds such stuff tripe and unappealing. I have another friend who identifies as an aromantic asexual (who also has a chemical imbalance disorder where estrogen causes harm and pain to her), and she has little to no desire to watch romances play out on screen.

The reasoning is probably a lot more complicated than just "hormones." I think we're all driven by a bunch of different reasons.

So, as a final note, I can understand where others come from, and there have been times myself when I wish I was satisfied with just friendships or other non-sexual relationships. But, usually, I'm happy with the way I approach things.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:59 am Reply with quote
willag wrote:
If I'm really attached to a certain pair or couple, why should I just settle for them being friends when what I really want is the whole kit-and-caboodle? I want the partners, friends, and lovers. I want the buddy-buddy friendship, the camaraderie, the tough love, the teasing, the emotional attachment, the shared desires, and the romantic/sexual attraction.

Well, I was talking about it from a narrative perspective, not a shipping perspective. I still maintain that Taiga being rejected by Ryuji which prompts her to become independent of him would be much stronger character development for her.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Chiibi wrote:
Well, it is terribly boring to me. because I like shippage. :p

Lol I did in Amagi Brilliant Park but nobody agreed with me here. Rolling Eyes It happened again with Musaigen Phantom World and surprisingly, mine was the more popular pairing.

It does occur once in a while but not very often.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:57 pm Reply with quote
It really is a case by case basis, but as I believe I've said to you before, it's important that you don't only ship a couple because you're "supposed to." Ship them because you genuinely think they'd be good together.

I really don't think Taiga/Ryuji is a good pairing due to their power dynamic. Think of their married life: either Ryuji is a house husband while Taiga lazes about the house or Ryuji is an overworked salaryman who comes home and has to cook and do other chores while Taiga lazes around the house. He's going to get fed up with her at some point, yet can't leave her because she's so dependant on him. And before you ask "Why doesn't Taiga work?" her hair trigger temper is going to get her fired a lot.

Another couple doomed to failure is Sorata and Mashiro from Pet Girl of Sakurasou. Sorata is mostly enamored by Mashiro's exotic beauty while Mashiro likes how he takes care of her. Imagine their married life: Sorata is an overworked salaryman whose dream of making video games has gone long unfulfilled. He comes home from work every day to find the place a mess and tons of chores to do because Mashiro doesn't do anything. Mashiro is still a successful manga-ka and is mostly responsible for supporting them. Sorata is constantly reminded of how she's flourishing in her dream while he's only known failure. That she makes more money than him is emasculating, especially as a Japanese man. And so he takes to drinking to cope with things. Maybe he starts to get a bit aggressive, maybe even abusive. Mashiro isn't equipped to comfort him, or even realise he's having a hard time in the first place, and when things get out of hand she can't even leave since she's so dependant on him.

That's why Nanami is better for him since she's some one who can empathize with him.

Maybe I'm getting a bit too real with this, but you can't just blindly accept a couple just because it's expected. "I don't need to properly develop this relationship because when they hook up the readers will just accept it as the obvious outcome without thinking too deeply into it!" Too many authors seem to think this.

A positive example is When Supernatural Battles Become Commonplace. While Hatoko is a sweetheart, the chemistry between Jurai and Tomoyo is just too good. No shortcuts taken there.
Raftina

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Perhaps Sorata should take the opportunity afforded by Mashiro's income to start indie game development? Our development tools have advanced to the point that a single individual, if in receipt of reasonable support, can develop videogames on his own. I do not think the Japanese culture of having the man of the house support the family with work has a particularly strong impression on Mashiro, if at all, so she would not object.

Why would Sorata need to become an overworked salaryman, other than at his own insistence? Certainly, his work would be interrupted more often than Mashiro's, because he needs to clean the house, but that is an imbalance seems sustainable and seen in successful real life relationships. Certainly it is not the disaster of the Ryuuji and Taiga relationships you described.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Raftina wrote:
Perhaps Sorata should take the opportunity afforded by Mashiro's income to start indie game development? Our development tools have advanced to the point that a single individual, if in receipt of reasonable support, can develop videogames on his own. I do not think the Japanese culture of having the man of the house support the family with work has a particularly strong impression on Mashiro, if at all, so she would not object.

Sure, Mashiro wouldn't care about it, but it's still a deeply ingrained cultural norm that can't be shaken off so easily. Having his wife support him would be seen as a great shame and there are several times in the show where he snaps at her because he's jealous of her success. So he has to get some sort of job, and salaryman is what everyone becomes, if anime is to be believed.

I don't know if Japan has something like Steam (even if it did Steam Greenlight is flooded with so much shit your game is likely to go unnoticed), but sure, he could make a doujin game and try to sell it at Comiket but there's plenty of anime that show just how hard that is. Type-Moons are few and far between.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
It really is a case by case basis, but as I believe I've said to you before, it's important that you don't only ship a couple because you're "supposed to." Ship them because you genuinely think they'd be good together.

I really don't think Taiga/Ryuji is a good pairing due to their power dynamic. Think of their married life: either Ryuji is a house husband while Taiga lazes about the house or Ryuji is an overworked salaryman who comes home and has to cook and do other chores while Taiga lazes around the house. He's going to get fed up with her at some point, yet can't leave her because she's so dependant on him. And before you ask "Why doesn't Taiga work?" her hair trigger temper is going to get her fired a lot.

This wasn't something I thought about too much....and I can't assume anything but it's possible for teenagers to change and mature a little once they become adults, you know?

Besides, there are plenty of jobs you can take where you don't have to interact with people. Anime hyper

I don't always think "Wait, what will their married life be like!?" when I ship pairings. I just jump to the conclusion that they "will be happy always because LURVE!! ♥".

Quote:
you can't just blindly accept a couple just because it's expected.

Oh yes I can. Anime hyper As long as I like both of the characters and like the idea of them together.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
I don't always think "Wait, what will their married life be like!?" when I ship pairings. I just jump to the conclusion that they "will be happy always because LURVE!! ♥".

I don't always extrapolate things that far either, but while it's tempting to just say "She needs some one to take care of her, and he needs some one to take care of, so they go together perfectly!" you should stop to think "Wait, that means he'll always be doing all the work. That's hardly fair..."
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:48 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
I don't always extrapolate things that far either, but while it's tempting to just say "She needs some one to take care of her, and he needs some one to take care of, so they go together perfectly!" you should stop to think "Wait, that means he'll always be doing all the work. That's hardly fair..."

I agree that is not a good relationship.....but I do not agree that's the relationship Taiga and Ryuuji have in the first place.

Ryuuji never needed to take care of her; he had his immature mother for that. He took care of Taiga because he wanted to.

Feeling obligated to do something verses actually wanting to do it....there's a difference there.

If Taiga needed him that badly, how did she manage on her own before she met him anyway? It's not like she's completely helpless.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:05 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
If Taiga needed him that badly, how did she manage on her own before she met him anyway? It's not like she's completely helpless.

She was living in filth from what I recall.

I recently remember that scene in the snow storm when spoiler[Taiga accidentally confessed to Ryuji.] He was right freaked out about it and tried to pretend it didn't happen. If he supposedly spoiler[returned her feelings at the time that's not the reaction he would have had. Or if it's what made him realise his feelings then something like "Taiga likes me? No way! But... Why does that make me kind of happy?" would leave me with no complaints.]

An even earlier scene comes to mind, when they're at that cabin or beach house or whatever it was when they were just hanging out together and Taiga was saying how comfortable it is. I liked that because it showed how void of romantic tension their relationship was. While spending time with your crush can be relaxing your heart is always going to beat a little faster or your face will heat up just a bit. If it doesn't, perhaps you don't like them that much after all.

The newest episode of Sound! Euphonium nicely illustrates the difference (though I'm sure this could cause it's own argument). In one scene Reina has no problem getting up in Kumiko's face, saying all sorts of normally embarrassing things to her, but when she sees Taki later she clams up and even the slightest touch from him nearly causes her to fall over. The former is a close friendship, the latter is romantic affection.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 14