• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your Favorite Anime/Manga Couple?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:12 am Reply with quote
willag wrote:
Y'know, while I can see and understand both sides of the argument, I'm personally in Chiibi's camp. If I see two people with good chemistry and a healthy, developing companionship, I'm usually not sitting there thinking to myself, "Wow, I can't wait to watch these two form a great friendship and nothing else!" No, more often than not, I want them to develop their companionship into an eventual romance, because I'm a romantic at heart and I get my romance satisfied vicariously through fictional couples I watch/read.

Hither twice on all points! In the case of arrangements such as that of Toradora, the audiences that come to gravitate towards them would be predominantly disappointed if the chemistry proved to be inert, shall we say. Few production companies would wish to perform a romantic bait-and-switch manoeuvre when the money of the masses hangs in the balance. Heavens, popular fiction has been that way for millennia.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cam0

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:12 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
I recently remember that scene in the snow storm when spoiler[Taiga accidentally confessed to Ryuji.] He was right freaked out about it and tried to pretend it didn't happen. If he supposedly spoiler[returned her feelings at the time that's not the reaction he would have had. Or if it's what made him realise his feelings then something like "Taiga likes me? No way! But... Why does that make me kind of happy?" would leave me with no complaints.]

I think that when spoiler[Taiga accidentally confesses to Ryuuji, he freaks out because he doesn't know how to react to it. Only at that point he starts to realize that he is love with Taiga, but instead of confronting his feelings, he tries to run away because it's all too much to take so suddenly. I suppose a lot of different thoughts ran in his head at that point like "But she likes KItamura. Is it ok for me to...?"] I don't know, been a while since I've seen it.

Vaisaga wrote:
you can't just blindly accept a couple just because it's expected. "I don't need to properly develop this relationship because when they hook up the readers will just accept it as the obvious outcome without thinking too deeply into it!" Too many authors seem to think this.

Ryuuji and Minori weren't even close, most of the time went into developing the bond between Taiga and Ryuuji. This kinda thing is the case most of the time. The main characters get the most development because they are the main characters. So often times the canon pairing is the one that makes the most sense to me.

Speculating how the relationship will turn out in the future seems futile to me. You follow the story for as far as the story takes ya. I don't really get into any "I wonder how they'll relationship will be in a few years" speculation. In a few years Taiga and Ryuuji or Sorata and Mashiro would no longer be teenagers. People can mature and change a lot during that time. So thinking that their relationship will be doomed seems odd to me anyway. You might as well speculate that Ryuuji will be run over by a car and Sorata will become a pathetic drunk that'll force Mashiro to do everything in the house. Eh.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:42 am Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
I think that when spoiler[Taiga accidentally confesses to Ryuuji, he freaks out because he doesn't know how to react to it. Only at that point he starts to realize that he is love with Taiga, but instead of confronting his feelings, he tries to run away because it's all too much to take so suddenly. I suppose a lot of different thoughts ran in his head at that point like "But she likes KItamura. Is it ok for me to...?"] I don't know, been a while since I've seen it.

Would have been nice if they had, ya know, actually showed that.

Cam0 wrote:
Speculating how the relationship will turn out in the future seems futile to me.

It's mostly an exercise in looking at how they'd actually function as a couple. Since most anime ends at the confession they don't explore the difficulties faced in an actual relationship.
Cam0

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Would have been nice if they had, ya know, actually showed that.

Show what? spoiler[I think it's clear that Ryuuji isn't man enough to confront Taiga's feelings and his own at first. Taiga was like apologizing for falling in love with Ryuuji, probably because of Minori. So Ryuuji covers up the confession so that things would continue as normal.] Again though, it has been a few years since I've seen Toradora and I'm not good at remembering details so I might be wrong about all this and make a big fool out of myself.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Quote:
It's mostly an exercise in looking at how they'd actually function as a couple. Since most anime ends at the confession they don't explore the difficulties faced in an actual relationship.

It is probably just as well. If you want to be realistic, high school romances are notoriously short lived, few survive graduation. This is especially true if one or both parties leaves the area for college or a job. There is nothing like exposure to the real world to shine a cruel light on your partner's qualities and yours as well.

These shows are mostly intended to be romantic comedy or drama. Essentially the romance ends when you become a couple and start banging. "Romance" in a settled relationship usually means one or both is sleeping around.
Night fox

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
I really don't think Taiga/Ryuji is a good pairing due to their power dynamic. Think of their married life: either Ryuji is a house husband while Taiga lazes about the house or Ryuji is an overworked salaryman who comes home and has to cook and do other chores while Taiga lazes around the house. He's going to get fed up with her at some point, yet can't leave her because she's so dependant on him. And before you ask "Why doesn't Taiga work?" her hair trigger temper is going to get her fired a lot.

Vaisaga wrote:

Well, it sounds a bit like you don't think that Taiga should be in a relationship with anyone, because she's lazy and temperamental, and that she might as well go jump off the nearest bridge. Laughing (ok, slight exaggeration there.)

Most people aren't perfect, you know, and that is especially true for teenagers. With your reasoning, half the people in Hollywood shouldn't be in a relationship. Wink
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
Show what?

His inner thoughts, specifically the moment spoiler[he realises his true feelings. He is the viewpoint character so we're supposed to be inside his head.]

Night fox wrote:
Well, it sounds a bit like you don't think that Taiga should be in a relationship with anyone, because she's lazy and temperamental, and that she might as well go jump off the nearest bridge. Laughing (ok, slight exaggeration there.)

I want Taiga to grow up, learn to take better care of herself, and be more independent. She won't be able to do that if she has a live-in man slave.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Madoka and Homura from PMMM (well, kinda like a couple but certainly two persons sharing a very intense affection and perhaps the most memorable couple from series I watched: I felt their affection more than in other series involving romantic relationships).

San and Ashitaka in Princess Mononoke (while the movie is not romance based I really felt their bond grow quickly over the course of the 134 minutes of the film and by the end they felt really close to each other).

Nagisa and Tomoya in Clannad. While the writing of Clannad it might feel quite "forced" under the lenses of classical literature, given it's adapted from a videogame, but still a couple that made me feel like I was really "there". Actually Clannad Afterstory is perhaps the best videogame adaptation of all time (considering how bad most videogame adaptations tend to be).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:

I want Taiga to grow up, learn to take better care of herself, and be more independent. She won't be able to do that if she has a live-in man slave.

Well, since they are getting married, Ryuuji has a loooong time to teach her everything about keeping house. :p lol

I've never read the light novel version but I think I may start....
Cam0

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:59 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
His inner thoughts, specifically the moment spoiler[he realises his true feelings. He is the viewpoint character so we're supposed to be inside his head.]

I don't necessarily disagree but I don't remember Toradora having a lot of inner monologue so maybe that's not Toradora's style of storytelling. spoiler["Keeping us in the dark" about Ryuuji's true feelings was never an issue for me since, from my point of view, his true feelings always lied with Taiga. The lack of transparency was obviously an issue for you.] We'll just have to agree to disagree which is to accept that TaigaxRyuuji IS THE ONE TRUE P-.... Sorry.

I think I'll need to rewatch Toradora someday. I have it rated as "Masterpiece", but that's a pretty outdated rating so I don't necessarily hold by that rating anymore.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:45 am Reply with quote
Pretty sure it had plenty of internal dialogue. It is based on a light novel, after all.
Cam0

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:10 pm Reply with quote
I can't dispute you on that.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:11 pm Reply with quote
I started the novels last night. It's not told from first person-point of view (ahh disappointing).

But Ryuuji's description of Minori every time she's in the scene is so eye-rolling. "She sparkles like the sun! She's so dazzlingly brilliant that I can't look at her!"

Only three chapters in and I'm already tired of it. Rolling Eyes Really empathizes his blind infatuation. It's just so ridiculous that's it's going to fuel my dislike towards the ship even more. ( I didn't hate it in the show or Minori herself but I always liked Taiga better)

Basically, I can't stand it when a character constantly praises their crush like they're some kind of amazing god/ddess who's way above their level. SHE'S STILL A HUMAN BEING geeze. Seriously, I loathe this trope.....until it gets torn down in a glorious way later on *coughmyownseriescough* Cool
Cam0

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:50 pm Reply with quote
I don't get what Ryuuji even sees in Minori. Minori is a weirdo. A very cynical part of me always had a thought that Minori's goofiness was just an act to hide her true self.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:09 pm Reply with quote
@Chiibi

Over the top praise like that is usually an indication that someone is imposing their own image on their crush without reference to the real person. It seldom survives interaction with the actual person.

@Cam0

You may be right, but it is also possible that her "real" self is an hyperactive ditz that flits around like a butterfly on speed. I doubt anyone could keep up with her. Ami on the other hand would be even worse to date. She is practically a poster child for "high maintenance".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 7 of 14