• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your Favorite Anime/Manga Couple?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raftina

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 5:06 pm Reply with quote
I think you mean sweet on the outside with bitter bits inside.

One substantial disappointment I've had with Marmalade Boy is the ending. spoiler[Despite the lengths to which the title dramatized the sibling relationship between Yuu and Miki, and despite the two coming to accept that they are siblings but will love each other anyway, the author decided to ruin it by revealing that they are actually not related.] It was still a great journey to watch, but the resolution just knocks it down a notch for me.

Chiibi, you have always made me suspicious, so lets confirm: Cosette or Eponine?
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Raftina wrote:
Chiibi, you have always made me suspicious, so lets confirm: Cosette or Eponine?

For those who don't know, Raftina is talking about Les Miserables.

I don't have particularly strong feelings about that, but I am more sympathetic towards Eponine. She falls under the "long standing companion who goes ignored when guy falls for a girl he barely knows" category, though in this case it's a bit karmic considering how she treated Cosette as a child.

But it's still complete BS that in the more kid friendly anime version spoiler[SHE STILL F---ING DIES WHEN EVEN JAVERT GETS TO LIVE!!!]
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Raftina wrote:

Pffft Cosette for sure. Eponine got on my nerves. Anime hyper

(course I only saw the 2012 movie but....)

I would love to track down Shoujo Cosette but this anime is so hard to find. I only knew it even existed from a random AMV on youtube. :p

About Marmalade Boy's ending: spoiler[Canonical incest is TABOO in most shoujo manga. The ones that allow it are aimed at an older demographic but MB ran in Ribon, whose target audience ranges from 8-13-year-old girls so............yeah, nope. Anime hyper]

I'm glad Yoshizumi chose the ending she did....even though I don't care about the series anymore. lol
Raftina

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Huh, that is surprising. I thought for sure you would be for Eponine. She is a creepy stalker criminal (for reasons other than stalking) who tried to get a guy she barely knew killed just because he likes someone else--a yandere if I ever saw one.

Shoujo manga does have canonical incest. For example, there is the aptly name I'm in Love with My Little Sister, which ran in Shoujo Comic (though that is aimed at the slightly older 13-18 age group. Yu Watase's Ceres, Celestial Legend ran in the same magazine. I do not see why Wataru Yoshizumi could not have chosen the incest ending, though the ending she did choose was better than the one she had planned.

Speaking of Wataru Yoshizumi not going for the bold ending, I wanted NoelxSasa end. Sad
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:03 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
Pffft Cosette for sure. Eponine got on my nerves. Anime hyper

Well I'm surprised too. You seem to have such a hatred for nice girls that I was beginning to fear for your boyfriend's physical well being Razz
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Raftina wrote:
Huh, that is surprising. I thought for sure you would be for Eponine. She is a creepy stalker criminal (for reasons other than stalking) who tried to get a guy she barely knew killed just because he likes someone else--a yandere if I ever saw one.

Lol, you know I HATE yandere, right? Anime hyper Least favorite type of character....girls and guys both. UGH.

Quote:
Shoujo manga does have canonical incest. For example, there is the aptly name I'm in Love with My Little Sister, which ran in Shoujo Comic (though that is aimed at the slightly older 13-18 age group. Yu Watase's Ceres, Celestial Legend ran in the same magazine.

Yes more "mature" ones do, but as I said, "the ones aimed at younger audiences like Ribon series do not."

Quote:
I do not see why Wataru Yoshizumi could not have chosen the incest ending,

Because that is unacceptable for an eight-year-old girl to see?

Rolling Eyes You will find that (just like seinen compared to shounen), the older the demographic, the more controversial themes may become for manga. Like you will probably find incest, sexual experiences, rape, bloody violence and pregnancy themes in Sho-Comi (Yuu Watase's magazine) but NOT Ribon or Nakayoshi. If the characters DO have sex, it's incredibly subtle...you may be unsure of what they are even doing at first. Anime hyper If a girl crushes on her blood-brother, it's regarded as wrong and "do not want" Shugo Chara)

.....kind of messed up that the manga targeted at the YOUNGER girls are the ones I'm always praising and with the older ones, it's totally opposite.

Quote:
Well I'm surprised too. You seem to have such a hatred for nice girls that I was beginning to fear for your boyfriend's physical well being

Cosette's the main character who had a horrible childhood and a sad family life....why SHOULDN'T I wish for her happiness!?

Oh, I broke up with him because he's pessimistic and unstable. >_> I need someone whom I don't have to beg to not kill himself every other week. (I wish I was kidding)
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
Oh, I broke up with him because he's pessimistic and unstable. >_> I need someone whom I don't have to beg to not kill himself every other week. (I wish I was kidding)

Well, you certainly made the right move there. Though I must admit I do Identify with your ex a little bit. While nowhere near as extreme, almost 30 years of experience has me convinced that no girl will ever be romantically interested in me, so if one ever did appear I'd be greatly skeptical and require constant reassurance.

Anyways, I watched some Rayearth recently and while Fuu/Ferio is great (but wtf is up with Umi/Clef?) I'm all about Hikaru/Lantis. In the manga Hikaru was the embodiment of pure pureness and kinda just loved everyone, and don't get me wrong she's totes adorbs, but I like how the anime gave her some real conflict. spoiler[Feeling guilty about killing Emeraude and Zagato is one thing, but then to go around and fall for Zagato's brother is super juicy. She didn't even realize she felt that way until Nova forced her to notice and while she thinks she shouldn't feel that way, you can't really control who you fall in love with. On Lantis's end, while we don't get to really go into his head, he makes it clear he doesn't resent the Knights for what happened to Zagato and eventually he returns Hikaru's feelings. Shame they're separated right after but in the manga they could freely return to Cephiro so maybe it's possible in the anime too. Also I find him being literally twice her height to be cute and funny.]

Primura needs to die in a fire, though.
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:37 pm Reply with quote
I've had lots of favorite couples over the years, going back at least as far as Lum/Ataru (Urusei Yatsura) & Hikaru (Rick)/Misa (Lisa) (Space Fortress Macross). Favorites of titles I've watched in the last few years include:

Chiyo & Nozaki (Monthly Girls Nozaki-kun): Honestly, I think Nozaki has known all along that Chiyo has a crush on him. But all his knowledge of romance has come from shoujo manga, so I think he's decided to use that as his model for how to handle her. Which as far as Chiyo is concerned, may actually be a smart move. The supporting couples of Seo/Waka & Kashima/Hori have also been fun to watch.

Taiga & Ryuuji (Toradora): I stopped watching romcom anime for about a decade, mostly because I just lost interest. But this was the first I'd seen in a long time to pull me back into the genre, and I've been hard pressed to find anything to quite equal it. I loved the way these two character developed over the series.

Senjogahara & Araragi (Monogatari): Yes, I am a proud member of the Senjogaharem. Although I do wish Nisio Isin would let Hanekawa find someone worthy of her.

Kraft & Holo (Spice and Wolf): Ever get to the end of a series, and discover you desperately wish there was more because you just didn't want to let the characters go? That's how I felt at the end of Spice and Wolf. I've seriously considered reading the translations of the light novels, but I haven't yet because the few light novel translations I've tried have been wretched in terms of how well they read.

Yuta & Rika (Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions): Another series I find difficult to match. Loved the ending to the first season; thought the second season was fine but not as good.

Hachiman & Yukino (My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU): Okay, this one hasn't been quite resolved yet, but I still think storywise Hachiman & Yukino getting together makes the most sense. Besides, I like it when the smart girl wins one.

Kaizaki & Hishiro (ReLife): The newest inductees to this list. They'd better do another season of this, because I want to see these two figure out thatspoiler[ they're both test subjects and are actually close to the same age].

Unfortunately, there have been quite a few misfires in my preferred 'ships lately. I was for a while very interested in Haganai, but I was stupid enough to read some spoilers and discovered spoiler[that Yozora pretty much loses the romance battle in that series]. That more or less killed my interest in that title. The Noucome ending was frustratingly ambiguous, tho I still think Amakusa & Yukihira was the most likely outcome. A few others I've tried have been okay but don't quite rise to the same levels the ones above do (Naho & Kakeru from Orange, for instance, was fine but I don't think I'd be interested in a continuation of their story).

I have some high hopes for Masamune-kun's Revenge, but still too early to judge that series.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:30 am Reply with quote
@ DeTroyes - have you seen Lovely Complex? I consider it along with Toradora two of the best rom-coms I have seen thus far.
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
@ DeTroyes - have you seen Lovely Complex? I consider it along with Toradora two of the best rom-coms I have seen thus far.

No I haven't, tho you're not the first to recommend it to me. Its on the "will get to it eventually" list.
Raftina

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Looking back at the couples I supported over the recent past, I realized something interesting: I am very drawn to couples that have an air of doom hanging over them. The couple does not necessarily have to be doomed--I am generally happy that things work out when the couple overcome odds--, but actually being doomed can quite easily enhance my enjoyment of the couple.

Because the narrative mood of the couple is more important than what actually happens, I will not be enclosing the couple in spoiler tags: I will simply avoid mentioning how the couple worked out.

The example that gave rise to this epiphany is actually not from anime: It is from Vocaloid. I had always preferred the Kagamine pair to the other vocaloids, because they come in a pair and often sing in duets, and I appreciate the small chorus of Len and Rin's voice, but what really got me into this couple are two videos: Servant of Evil and Soleil. It also helped that I read some of the comments on Youtube that observed--and I agreed--that Len and/or Rin die in a disproportionate amount of videos that pair them.

Just last year, we have had some examples in anime. The most recent is Magical Girl Raising Project. I read the synopsis that there would be a requirement to cut down the number of magical girls, so I was expecting it to develop into a cruel game--if not death then something also horrible. And here comes La Pucelle to pair with Snow White--childhood friend, declaration of protection, possible love interest, knight and princess. My most immediate expectation is that La Pucelle will die or drop out to protect Snow White somehow. And watching the impending doom as the two shyly work with each other was quite a treat.

And Macross Delta's Hayate x Freyja? I initially supported this couple because of Macross' tradition of having the young singer lose tragically to the older love interest. Admittedly, Freyja and Hayate's interactions--and Freyja's actions in particular--won me over quite independently, but that was not why I initially liked it.

Then there was Orange, the show whose premise is that the protagonist received a letter from her future self telling her to save a classmate who was no longer going to be with them by the end of the year. Would Naho succeed in saving Kakeru, or would history repeat itself? The dramatic tension increased greatly when it was revealed that spoiler[Naho was married to Suwa in the future timeline]. The first episode succeeded excellently in instilling a sense of unease despite depicting mostly shots of a group of friends participating in the ordinary joys of life, in part at least because the shots made the episode seem like a collage of photos that the main characters were viewing in the future.

And Erased, Satoru x Airi > Satoru x Kayo because I was expecting the time travel to alter history enough that Satoru and Airi would become strangers.

Kindred spirits!

Last edited by Raftina on Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:58 pm; edited 2 times in total
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Raftina wrote:
And here comes La Pucelle to pair with Snow White--childhood friend, declaration of protection, possible love interest, knight and princess. My most immediate expectation is that La Pucelle will die or drop out to protect Snow White somehow. And watching the impending doom as the two shyly work with each other was quite a treat.

Best ship of 2016, man.

I'm still very torn up about it. Anime cry I loved them. I loved them so much.
louis6578

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:16 am Reply with quote
Not according to the totally inaccurate Crunchyroll anime awards. I think my new favorite couple is Chiibi x Full Moon Wo Sagashite. Laughing
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:44 am Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
I think my new favorite couple is Chiibi x Full Moon Wo Sagashite. Laughing

That is certainly the best example of ever true-eternally-lasting love. Laughing
Undying. Unyielding. Invincible.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Raftina wrote:
It also helped that I read some of the comments on Youtube that observed--and I agreed--that Len and/or Rin die in a disproportionate amount of videos that pair them.

Twincest doesn't often have happy endings, does it?

But yeah, you're certainly not alone in that. There's a reason Romeo and Juliet is still so beloved.

You might want to check out a manga called Bitter Virgin for an interesting, albeit super super dark, take on that sort of thing. spoiler[It's about a flashy playboy who openly expresses his total disinterest in an androphobic classmate, only to accidentally find out that she was the victim of sexual abuse from her step dad. She was even pregnant twice (one miscarriage, one given up for adoption). She doesn't know he knows (she thought she was confessing to a priest) and actually warms up to him precisely because of his lack of interest. The irony, of course being that he does start falling for her.] At the very end of the series spoiler[they do get together, but the last few pages has them admitting things probably won't work out between them. Having outside circumstances (usually death) is typical for keeping a couple apart but this is one of the few cases where a couple admits they won't last due to not really being right for each other.]

It certainly is more interesting when couples have some obstacles to overcome. That's why Kirito/Asuna gets pretty dull after ALO, and why Mashiro and Azuki's relationship in Bakuman was the least interesting thing going on. It wasn't until near the end where spoiler[their relationship gets exposed and they face fan backlash] that I actually got invested in it. I even cheered when spoiler[Azuki won the role] when I wouldn't have prior to that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 13 of 14