• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Race and age in Anime.

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:27 am Reply with quote
As far as I know, the only people who have red eyes in real life are albinos. There is a lack of pigment in the iris and you are seeing the color of the blood vessels in the interior of the eye.

In anime, as with hair color, anything goes. Most of the time, red eyes tend to be used to indicate the supernatural, a vampire or such. In some cases the eyes turn red to show the surfacing of the supernatural element. Sometimes they are used to show a person capable of a berserk rage. Of course, sometimes it is just because ...
peter a

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:17 am Reply with quote
Just watched a YouTube video about Scarlett Johansson playing the role of Motoko Kusanagi (the major) in the live action version of ghost in the shell and the so called white washing.
https://youtu.be/eKkp2jjOk88
The narrative about ghost in the shell is whether the major has a ghost ( soul ) at all, The story says she was transferred to a shell as a dying baby, but is hinted she is totally man-made, so the major`s character is totally ambiguous where ethnic origin is never been defined and her form is just a exterior shell.
Why have people in the west recently become so political correct lately ? , where we can`t have Christmas nativities in school just in case it insults so other religion, where the truth is only person who cares about it is Mr and Mrs pc.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:43 am Reply with quote
^
While I agree with your point about the Major's cyborg body, I think the so-called whitewashing claims are a sign of the grief that some in the anime fandom are feeling that what was once for the initiated only is about to be appropriated for a mass audience.

And I say this as a mod: ease off on the pc name-calling. It doesn't add anything valuable to any conversation and is only likely to piss people off.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:54 am Reply with quote
peter a wrote:
The narrative about ghost in the shell is whether the major has a ghost ( soul ) at all, The story says she was transferred to a shell as a dying baby, but is hinted she is totally man-made, so the major`s character is totally ambiguous where ethnic origin is never been defined and her form is just a exterior shell.

I mean, sure, but I can be certain if the Major was cast as a black woman half the people saying that would be mad. There's no real reason to cast her as white, either, and it's a bit sad that's just the default option for so many people. Scarlet does have the curriculum of 'doing cartoon characters in live-action', though. She's just a consequence of the underlying reality of US casting, really.
peter a

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:38 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I mean, sure, but I can be certain if the Major was cast as a black woman half the people saying that would be mad.

I wouldn't have any objections if I thought she was the best person to play the role.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:14 am Reply with quote
One thing I'll say about the casting of Scarlett Johansson as The Major - and I say this as an admirer of her looks - she has the perfect blank look for the part.
peter a

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:24 am Reply with quote
I think they should be gone with Magan fox to play the major

Sorry Errinundra , l know what you are going to say to that "It doesn't add anything valuable to any conversation and is only likely to piss people off"

Only joking !!! , even I'm not that daft.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2