• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Is There Too Much Anime Being Made?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:13 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
#864447 wrote:
JoJo's all about being over the top. It's basically a parody of fist of the north star.

No it's not, Their plots and their cast couldn't be anymore more different from one another. Also for something to be a parody of another it has to be self aware of the fact that it's a parody. The series never comes close to doing this everything it does it plays it straight regardless of the potential risk of mood whiplash.

#864447 wrote:
Also, how does some opinions regarding the intros after Sono relevant to how the series will be remembered?

Because it's something that crops up everytime a new JoJo opening drops. To the point it's a meme in of itself.

#864447 wrote:
Why? Because it's better than being another one of those generic shows that gets washed out every season.

Something being over the top doesn't make it better than something else by default.

Stuart Smith wrote:
For One Piece fans, it doesn't matter if you read it or watch it because it's all the same,

Well sure aside from people giving Toei flack for the occasional issue with QUALITY and slight changes and how it ruins their favorites scenes from the manga.

What do you have against JoJo? It seems you despises it in general, and everything it is.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:07 am Reply with quote
#864447 wrote:
What do you have against JoJo? It seems you despises it in general, and everything it is.

Ummmm I actually like JoJo even in spite of Araki's sketchy writing and it's seemingly never happy fanbase where the anime is concerned.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:37 am Reply with quote
Didn't have time to read all the comments, so I apologize if someone has brought this up, but hasn't Hollywood been dealing with this problem since at least the '50s or '60s, and even more so after VHS became affordable and watching movies at home became popular?
Too many movies produced every year, less movies make a cultural impact. It's hard to separate the wheat from the chaff every year, and very hard to predict which movies will have a lasting place in cultural consciousness. Great example: even Lord Richard Attenborough himself has said that ET deserved the Best Picture Oscar more than his biopic Gandhi back in 1982. He appreciated winning the award, but he thought ET was the better movie. And generally, most critics and audiences agree with him (at least in hindsight).
I agree that there are too many anime series being put out each season, because it's a relatively smaller, more niche industry than Hollywood, with less of a worldwide reach and less money. But I don't think any individual anime series has a unique problem of trying to capture the cultural zeitgeist while competing with other series.[/url]
chaccide

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:04 am Reply with quote
In the good old days when we only had three television channels we remembered what shows were on by gum and we talked about 'em! Blah blah. Who remembers the great TV from the 50s and 60s now? But I bet people can remember crap shows like Gilligan's Island.

Here's the deal. Sturgeon's law holds. We're getting more good 'TV' than we ever were. The best will be remembered for as long as, say, that best episode of Playhouse 90. You know the one I mean, right?

Yeah, collective memory doesn't equal quality.
Goober2049

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:49 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Merxamers wrote:
When started watching Blood Battlefront Blockade live, i was convinced it would be a classic remembered for at least a decade. By the time i got it on Bluray, i rarely heard anything about it.

Same here. I was convinced that BBB was going to become an all time favorite. I affectionately refer to Blood Blockade Battlefront as Cowboy Bebop 2. By the way, apparently season 2 of BBB is airing in 2017.

And I agree with your 4 classics; I will only add Sword Art Online.

I think the part that hurt BBB the most is having to wait months for the final episode to air. By the time it came out, I had barely remembered what happened before and I wasn't terribly interested in re-watching the show before watching the finale. The end was still fantastic, but I wonder how many people dropped the show, or didn't even bother to start it, due to the finale being on hold for so long.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:55 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Didn't have time to read all the comments, so I apologize if someone has brought this up, but hasn't Hollywood been dealing with this problem since at least the '50s or '60s, and even more so after VHS became affordable and watching movies at home became popular?
Too many movies produced every year, less movies make a cultural impact. It's hard to separate the wheat from the chaff every year, and very hard to predict which movies will have a lasting place in cultural consciousness. Great example: even Lord Richard Attenborough himself has said that ET deserved the Best Picture Oscar more than his biopic Gandhi back in 1982. He appreciated winning the award, but he thought ET was the better movie. And generally, most critics and audiences agree with him (at least in hindsight).
I agree that there are too many anime series being put out each season, because it's a relatively smaller, more niche industry than Hollywood, with less of a worldwide reach and less money. But I don't think any individual anime series has a unique problem of trying to capture the cultural zeitgeist while competing with other series.[/url]

There is some pint to what you're saying. However, the biggest issue recently has been Hollywood studios releasing too many big budget films too quickly. This summer, particularly July and August are perfect examples. In one month, you had half a dozen movies with budgets approaching $200 million. Films with that kind of budget need long legs and big international receipts to make money. When you jam so many so close together, there simply aren't enough ticket buyers to go around. Several films that should have been sure fire hits struggled this summer because the next big thing came out the following weekend.

It's also important to remember that while it seems Hollywood is churning out a lot of movies, they are nowhere near their high point in decades past. In the 50's and 60's, the major studios like Paramount and Warner would put out dozens of movies every year. But true budgets were much, much lower and they would often play for much longer runs. The studios had an easier time recouping their investments. Even in the 80's and 90's the big studios were turning out more flicks than now, but they weren't so heavily dependent on big budget blockbusters to pay the bills. Their slates were better balanced with lower budget movies that were easy to at least break even on.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:16 am Reply with quote
SkerllyF wrote:

So many directors worrying about pleasing the fans of the source material(a.k.a ELITISTS) so they can choose one medium over the other(e.g when you choose the FMA manga over any adaptation when you could also watch the first series' fillers as well), when we could have a show mix with filler and canon that makes us enjoy both mediums. I hate that these days are very otaku centric with anime adaptations. I want to enjoy the best of both mediums, not discuss why "the source material iz better, it's a masterpiez, the anime sux" and things like that.

Nothing to do with directors. Is about the producers. If you want to promote some manga or LN you would like to be as close as possible with the source material or when the new fans watching the anime are going to buy the manga or the LN there is a high chance they will be disappointed. And also the current reader will go berserk if is not close to the source (look what happened with the last DxD season).

Manga/anime/LN otaku are the ones that buy the Manga, the LN's, and the expensive BD/DVD. So they are the ones paying the anime bills. If you want to sell a product, of course you will try to please the people that are spending the most money.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:09 am Reply with quote
There's too much reading into things.

Star Wars became a hit, because of "word of mouth".

The good stuff rises to the top, even in a flood of plenty.

We are still talking about Madoka Magica, even now.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:11 am Reply with quote
I wonder, if a show like Bebop was made today would it still have the same impact in the west? Maybe it being so exceptionally good might have won people over but I feel like it owes a lot of its success to being in the right place at the right time.

I actually went to Akihabara just a few months ago and lemme tell ya they've got no time for old crap unless it's something big like Evangelion or Sailor Moon. K-On! might have sold 40000 Blu-rays per volume on average in its day, but K-On! ended 5 years ago. So other than the obvious (Love Live and Osomatsu) what was displayed in all the anime shops over there? Well... Qualidea Code, Sweetness & Lightning, Tales of Xestiria, Mob Psycho and New Game. All seasonal shows.

Sunrise made the right move by turning Love Live into a franchise because it's still hot 6 years on. Love Live is still relevant because they keep making content. Evangelion is still relevant because of the movies, the spinoffs and the merchandise. Monogatari is still popular because it's never going to end. With its ridiculous sales Evangelion would likely be fondly remembered even if they left it at that. But would it be as popular as it is now if they didn't cash in? I doubt it.

When there were less shows coming out and even less making their way to to the west, the ones that did come our way had a much better chance to shine. But as the article said we've got more shows and more access. So just like Japan we wanna talk about the here and now. No one cares about that boob string show from 2015, but all your friends are watching Yuri on Ice so why don't you join them?

I still can't help but wonder how we're going to look back on this period in a few decades time. I get the feeling it might not be as favourable as we do the 90s since the sort of forgettable crap that would have been lost in time 20 years ago is produced in higher quantities these days with official subtitles and a dub. But hey, if I ever hear someone trash talking the anime of 2050 and talking about how great the 2010s are at least I can show them Endride, Pupa, Divine Gate and Infinite Stratos.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:24 am Reply with quote
chaccide wrote:
In the good old days when we only had three television channels we remembered what shows were on by gum and we talked about 'em! Blah blah. Who remembers the great TV from the 50s and 60s now? But I bet people can remember crap shows like Gilligan's Island.

Here's the deal. Sturgeon's law holds. We're getting more good 'TV' than we ever were. The best will be remembered for as long as, say, that best episode of Playhouse 90. You know the one I mean, right?

Yeah, collective memory doesn't equal quality.

That's another good point. Although some shows with lasting memory impact do deserve it (MASH?), lots don't. People argue that TV is too focused on niche audiences these days, but that's actually made more opportunities to make better quality shows with more and more variety of content and casts.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:20 am Reply with quote
chaccide wrote:

Twilight Zone is certainly remembered and widely and regularly discussed. In fact, it's still semi-regularly aired. Lost in Space, pretty much the same minus the semi-regularly aired part.

Gilligan's Island is remembered less for it's original run than for it's years of persistent visibility in syndication.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:32 am Reply with quote
An issue that is never addressed, is simulcasting. It didn't matter how much Anime there was in the past, in the west you only got it filed through TV and DVD/VHS. But now the audience is jumping from one season to another, every 2 months. I think even if the amount of Anime coming out each year was cut by half, it still wouldn't solve the problem. The only way a show can stay successful would be through strong DVD/BD for years to come.
Paiprince

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:57 am Reply with quote
SkerllyF wrote:
Kikaioh wrote:
I think part of the issue is that a lot of anime being created in this generation is very otaku-centric, which I think by its nature is less aimed at being "classic" and more aimed at catering to the tastes of the fandom.

It may be out of topic, but if there were less "faithful to the source material" adaptations, things would be a little bit better. Which is the need to adapt faithfully a source when you can take what works in the source material and mix canon with well made non-canon(depending on the substance and structure of the source material) and have a good series? In the US, a series based on a book doesn´t use as much of the books as we want anyway, so Japan should learn to use this approach as well.

So many directors worrying about pleasing the fans of the source material(a.k.a ELITISTS) so they can choose one medium over the other(e.g when you choose the FMA manga over any adaptation when you could also watch the first series' fillers as well), when we could have a show mix with filler and canon that makes us enjoy both mediums. I hate that these days are very otaku centric with anime adaptations. I want to enjoy the best of both mediums, not discuss why "the source material iz better, it's a masterpiez, the anime sux" and things like that.

Please Justin Servakis, make an aticle about this too, I even sent a question about this PLEASE

Or maybe, just bear with me on this one, most people have been burned out in the past because of inconsequential "anime original" content. I can tell you haven't been into anime past this decade since TV anime followed your approach in gusto for years with terrible results to show for. What's worse is said anime just end like that. No one is satisfied.

If the original content works, fine, but for anime's case it hardly ever happens. It's an adaptation so make it as one. And I don't even know what you're getting at when you mentioned "otaku-centric." Feels like you're just gonna go on the same tired old spiel about them moes.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:00 am Reply with quote
Moroboshi-san wrote:
Based on facts (statistics of animated minutes) amount of anime made is actually in decline and we are far from the peak of 2006.

Blood- wrote:
So, yeah, from my personal perspective I understand why there seems to be more anime - because there is. I guess if I'd been around in the Bubble Years, I would have had a different impression.

I think it should be noted that you two are talking past each other about two very DIFFERENT questions. It is ENTIRELY possible that both statements are TRUE. Which is to say, Moroboshi-san noted that less anime MINUTES are being produced. And Blood- noted that more anime SHOWS are being made. Both of those points are possible when you consider that recently there are a larger number of 3 minute episode shows. (Things like "I can't understand what my husband is saying" or "Oji-san to Marshmallow")

In that sense, you could have a net gain in the NUMBER of shows (+10 3-min shows, -3 "normal" shows) while still seeing a net loss in the LENGTH of anime (+30min -75min = -45 mins). Considering that most animators are paid by the DRAWING that may be a net negative for the industry in terms of "pay", or it could be a net positive if the shorter shows command anything near a comparable upfront cost (HIGHLY improbable). We don't have enough clarity into the industry dynamics to know for sure what impact it hase, but I could see arguments in either direction. (pro: more shows = more licensing opportunities and potentially higher per minute price quote, con: more (shorter) shows means more work that can't be re-used and more stress from constant project shifts)

I would assume that a higher number of "shorts" is a net negative if only because animators are paid by the drawing and so the number of cuts to "make a living" remains the same even though the amount of needed work falls. But I don't know enough about the inner workings to state that as "fact". (But it does make sense why the statistics would be quoted in terms of "anime minutes" rather than "shows produced")
Paiprince

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:02 am Reply with quote
#864447 wrote:

JoJo's all about being over the top. It's basically a parody of fist of the north star. Also, how does some opinions regarding the intros after Sono relevant to how the series will be remembered? If anything, JoJo is similar to One Punch Man in that regard that they both go over the top. Why? Because it's better than being another one of those generic shows that gets washed out every season.

This here reflects the average attitude of the typical Jojofan: thinks his favorite series is the best while dismisses the rest.

{Edit: Please refrain from excessive quoting.. I edited your post for you. I also suggest watching the thinly veiled insults towards fans of a show as well. ~ Psycho 101}
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10