• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Is There Too Much Anime Being Made?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:20 am Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
I still can't help but wonder how we're going to look back on this period in a few decades time. I get the feeling it might not be as favourable as we do the 90s since the sort of forgettable crap that would have been lost in time 20 years ago is produced in higher quantities these days with official subtitles and a dub.

I think we have an obligation to remember this period with fondness because this is when HD and streaming became the standard for tv anime. In my very personal opinion I see the period between 2009 and 2015 as the golden era for anime series. True, we get a lot of garbage, but in these years there were 4-5 fantastic shows and 8-10 great shows every year. I don't know about others, but that is pretty good to me.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:27 am Reply with quote
Paiprince wrote:
I can tell you haven't been into anime past this decade since TV anime followed your approach in gusto for years with terrible results to show for. What's worse is said anime just end like that. No one is satisfied.

Hmm, I think that a lot of people do end up being satisfied with anime original endings that wrap things up rather than a まだ戦いを続けている "go read the next LN or manga volume to see how it continues" non-ending, which is a popular option. There exist partisans of both approaches, and I think that the previous posters are correct to say that existing fans of the original work are more likely to prefer the canon non-endings than new and more casual fans. It's kind of absurd to say that "no one is satisfied" with either approach; there are fans of each approach, and each approach can be done well or poorly.

Quote:
And I don't even know what you're getting at when you mentioned "otaku-centric." Feels like you're just gonna go on the same tired old spiel about them moes.

If you've watched anime for more than a decade, Paiprince, then you should certainly know that there's an enormous difference in the target audience that occurred starting in 1999 with the rise of late night shows. Shows like Evangelion, Utena, Cowboy Bebop and others were all shown in normal hours of the day, in the early evening. From small beginnings in 1999, late night anime has grown to be a majority of all minutes, while daytime shows have shrunk. There's still the Saturday morning Jump shows, the PreCure franchise, and the Sunday night family staples, and things on NHK, but there's a whole range of genres have disappeared from daytime broadcast and been moved to late night. That makes their target audiences more otaku-centric, more aimed at existing fans, and less likely to appeal to the random channel surfer. Daytime shows have a certain cachet, as can certainly be seen in Girlish Number this season when they talk about Pre Cure ("Pre Para").

There are some effects I like, and some I don't like, but surely anyone who has seen anime before 2006 should understand the changes. One positive effect for us hardcore watchers is less filler and recaps than in the old days; shows for a mainstream audience in the daytime tend to have recaps and previews that make it easy to miss every other show and still follow things. (Just look at Naruto.) Another reason that there's less filler and recaps is that "just skip this week" or "show crappy animation that we'll fix for the home video release" is a lot more possible in the late-night infomercial timeslot for hardcore fans than in prime time viewing slots where something must be broadcast to keep the network happy. A possible downside is just stopping a season without coming to a good conclusion, since so much of the audience is willing to buy the source material to see what happens next (and indeed, with many of these shows the source material sells more than the show, which is really just a bit of fanservice.)
John Thacker

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:41 am Reply with quote
To say that "no one is satisfied" with shows that mix anime original content with the source material is to say that no one was satisfied with Blood Blockade Battlefront, which just isn't true. There were complaints, but many more people enjoyed it.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:42 am Reply with quote
One thing that seems different between Western and Japanese cultures is how much nostalgia is embraced. Here in the West, 80's entertainment culture is still beloved in the mainstream, and seems to be heavily influential on modern entertainment (Mad Max, Star Wars, Ninja Turtles, Back to the Future, Terminator, Smurfs, etc.) In Japan though, that sort of love for retro culture seems a bit ways non-existent --- it generally feels like entertainment there burns bright and fades fast, and even long-running shows are kind of integrated into the "here and now", as opposed to bringing back the actual atmosphere of a bygone age. I wonder also if the adult mentality of "grown ups shouldn't spend time on childish things" feeds into that any. I can remember too, in the 80s and 90s how influential Akira Toriyama and Rumiko Takahashi were on artists of the time, and it seems that that sort of influence just lived in the moment, since the modern generation appears to be more focused on the popular light novel art styles of today, than the styles we've seen in the past. You even sometimes see old-school artists adapting their style to reflect modern sensibilities, which seems to feed into a group-conscientious mentality that everyone generally seems to go with the cultural flow.

angelmcazares wrote:
I think we have an obligation to remember this period with fondness because this is when HD and streaming became the standard for tv anime. In my very personal opinion I see the period between 2009 and 2015 as the golden era for anime series. True, we get a lot of garbage, but in these years there were 4-5 fantastic shows and 8-10 great shows every year. I don't know about others, but that is pretty good to me.

I disagree. In the 80s into the 90s we saw some of the most influential and world-renowned works in anime, from Studio Ghibli, Akira Toriyama, Rumiko Takahashi, Leiji Matsumoto, Mamoru Oshii, and many other artists. Have there been any brand new shows since 2009 that have been nearly as groundbreaking? The most I can think of is Attack on Titan, which even then seems to be more popular than influential.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:13 pm Reply with quote
^The first one that comes to mind for influential would be Madoka. There's a reason so many shows since then have been compared to it, usually at least one every season, and that aired five years ago.

As to world renowned, if we are including films as you have, maybe Your Name might be one soon enough, given that it is on track to surpass nearly all the Ghibli films. We'll see how it is received outside Japan of course.
Paiprince

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:13 pm Reply with quote
John Thacker wrote:
Paiprince wrote:
I can tell you haven't been into anime past this decade since TV anime followed your approach in gusto for years with terrible results to show for. What's worse is said anime just end like that. No one is satisfied.

Hmm, I think that a lot of people do end up being satisfied with anime original endings that wrap things up rather than a まだ戦いを続けている "go read the next LN or manga volume to see how it continues" non-ending, which is a popular option. There exist partisans of both approaches, and I think that the previous posters are correct to say that existing fans of the original work are more likely to prefer the canon non-endings than new and more casual fans. It's kind of absurd to say that "no one is satisfied" with either approach; there are fans of each approach, and each approach can be done well or poorly.

Quote:
And I don't even know what you're getting at when you mentioned "otaku-centric." Feels like you're just gonna go on the same tired old spiel about them moes.

If you've watched anime for more than a decade, Paiprince, then you should certainly know that there's an enormous difference in the target audience that occurred starting in 1999 with the rise of late night shows. Shows like Evangelion, Utena, Cowboy Bebop and others were all shown in normal hours of the day, in the early evening. From small beginnings in 1999, late night anime has grown to be a majority of all minutes, while daytime shows have shrunk. There's still the Saturday morning Jump shows, the PreCure franchise, and the Sunday night family staples, and things on NHK, but there's a whole range of genres have disappeared from daytime broadcast and been moved to late night. That makes their target audiences more otaku-centric, more aimed at existing fans, and less likely to appeal to the random channel surfer. Daytime shows have a certain cachet, as can certainly be seen in Girlish Number this season when they talk about Pre Cure ("Pre Para").

There are some effects I like, and some I don't like, but surely anyone who has seen anime before 2006 should understand the changes. One positive effect for us hardcore watchers is less filler and recaps than in the old days; shows for a mainstream audience in the daytime tend to have recaps and previews that make it easy to miss every other show and still follow things. (Just look at Naruto.) Another reason that there's less filler and recaps is that "just skip this week" or "show crappy animation that we'll fix for the home video release" is a lot more possible in the late-night infomercial timeslot for hardcore fans than in prime time viewing slots where something must be broadcast to keep the network happy. A possible downside is just stopping a season without coming to a good conclusion, since so much of the audience is willing to buy the source material to see what happens next (and indeed, with many of these shows the source material sells more than the show, which is really just a bit of fanservice.)

I think there was a misunderstanding here. What I meant were anime like Rurouni Kenshin in which its TV series just went onto filler limbo and then ending on a filler which pissed off fans all over. I don't deny that an anime original ending can make or break a show (though I'm more inclined to suspect the latter) and a "READ THE MANGA/LN if you want more" ending is I think much worse. I was mainly questioning Skrelly's wish of having adaptations morph into whatever interpretation the anime staff want it to be regardless of their actual narrative capability.

One of the reasons why most "adult" anime is now relegated in the wee hours is because of PTA groups complaining about the content that shows like EVA and Bebop had. Not because of some perceived demographic shift in taste. And trying to make a template of what the "average channel surfer" watches is just as bad as labeling midnight anime as "Otaku-centric." Zankyou no Terror and Tatami Galaxy aired at midnight JST and those aren't what you would call "otaku-centric." So no, I disagree how a timeslot becomes the arbiter of what type of audience would watch an anime, especially when a lot of Japanese people own DVR recorders to watch what they like, whenever they want.

Kikaioh wrote:

I disagree. In the 80s into the 90s we saw some of the most influential and world-renowned works in anime, from Studio Ghibli, Akira Toriyama, Rumiko Takahashi, Leiji Matsumoto, Mamoru Oshii, and many other artists. Have there been any brand new shows since 2009 that have been nearly as groundbreaking? The most I can think of is Attack on Titan, which even then seems to be more popular than influential.

Almost everything by Makoto Shinkai, with Kimi no na Wa topping the charts in every anime ranking site. It came out just this year.
Moroboshi-san

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Paiprince wrote:
One of the reasons why most "adult" anime is now relegated in the wee hours is because of PTA groups complaining about the content that shows like EVA and Bebop had. Not because of some perceived demographic shift in taste.

Not really. More and more anime is sent late at night simply because that is the cheapest slot.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:24 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
^The first one that comes to mind for influential would be Madoka. There's a reason so many shows since then have been compared to it, usually at least one every season, and that aired five years ago.

As to world renowned, if we are including films as you have, maybe Your Name might be one soon enough, given that it is on track to surpass nearly all the Ghibli films. We'll see how it is received outside Japan of course.

I dunno', I wouldn't put Madoka Magica at the same level of cultural influence as any of the artists I'd mentioned. Maybe more of an insular influence within the anime industry itself, as opposed to having a sort of mainstream or global recognition.

As for Your Name, that might be one, though it's hard to say until it really hits Western shores. I wonder though, if it might wind up in a similar situation as Yokai Watch, where it's immensely popular in its home country, but doesn't make as big a splash with Western audiences due to differing sensibilities (I guess we'll see).

Those aside though, I'm still not sensing much in the way of recent works that have had nearly the sort of broad cultural impact that shows several decades in the past did, so I'd still balk at notions that we're living in something resembling a golden age (unless you were to call it a golden age for otaku, that could make sense, but for the medium as a whole, I think it's become a bit too insular to be a golden age).
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:46 pm Reply with quote
^I think it is a bit early to wonder about broad cultural impact. And at least one of those (the Dragon Ball franchise), while it is popular and influential, that doesn't necessarily equate to being of the highest quality. And it's not like Takahashi, Toriyama, and Ghibli have stopped making stuff since the 80's and 90's (and 2000's), it's just most of their recent stuff hasn't had quite the same impact as their prior work.

Perhaps more recent stuff has less impact on mainstream culture in Japan, that is more because that is the exception and not the rule, and not because the quality is less. Most of the most beloved anime, inside and outside Japan, will be loved most by fans of the medium and while there are some that have gone beyond that, none have really moved the medium from niche to mainstream, and I do not expect that to change. Perhaps it is merely a golden age for otaku (and probably sakuga fans as well), but perhaps those of us who are might be forgiven for accepting and enjoying such an age.

Last edited by zrnzle500 on Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
mbanu

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:58 pm Reply with quote
I think people underestimate the choices of a relatively small number of people on what gets to be a "classic" -- it's not as organic as you think. In the case of Cowboy Bebop, the show itself being good was important, but the reason it became a classic in the U.S. is because a handful of anime fans working in positions of authority at Cartoon Network made it their line in the sand, and managed to keep it on the air almost continuously from 2001 to 2015 -- there is a very short list of animated shows that have gotten that much airtime. If they had decided to choose another show, or had just cycled it in and out like the rest of their stuff, I doubt it would have the same status today.

Last edited by mbanu on Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Paiprince

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Moroboshi-san wrote:
Paiprince wrote:
One of the reasons why most "adult" anime is now relegated in the wee hours is because of PTA groups complaining about the content that shows like EVA and Bebop had. Not because of some perceived demographic shift in taste.

Not really. More and more anime is sent late at night simply because that is the cheapest slot.

That is also a factor, but to disregard the controversy those anime had is a disservice. Oh right, I forgot to name Gundam Seed as another example of another prime time anime that attracted the ire of parents because of sexual content. Granted, that didn't stop Gundam from being aired in the afternoon by virtue that it's Gundam, but the principle still stands.

Last edited by Paiprince on Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
SkerllyF

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

JoJo's all about being over the top. It's basically a parody of fist of the north star. Also, how does some opinions regarding the intros after Sono relevant to how the series will be remembered? If anything, JoJo is similar to One Punch Man in that regard that they both go over the top. Why? Because it's better than being another one of those generic shows that gets washed out every season.

Quote:
This here reflects the average attitude of the typical Jojofan: thinks his favorite series is the best while dismisses the rest.

That´s the same I say. JoJo is still a meme generator than something that has an enoooormous fanbase. It´s more famous now, but not as much as one thinks. I like JoJo and all, but it´s another franchise that suffers from overrating, just because DOESN´T HAVE FANSERVICE OR MOE OR A BLAND PROTAGONIST, AND IS THE SAVIOR OF ANIME.

For me true saviors of anime are those that go against the comfort zone and put an interesting twist in a tried-and-true formula(Keijo and Kill la Kill with fanservice, Girlish Number and School-live with moe, Re:Zero and Rakudai Kishi with bland light novels, etc). JoJo is people´s excuse to say that "MODERN ANIME ARE ALL BAD. DON´T WATCH ANY OF THEM"
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:22 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
^I think it is a bit early to wonder about broad cultural impact. And at least one of those (the Dragon Ball franchise), while it is popular and influential, that doesn't necessarily equate to being of the highest quality. And it's not like Takahashi, Toriyama, and Ghibli have stopped making stuff since the 80's and 90's (and 2000's), it's just most of their stuff hasn't had quite the same impact as their prior work.

Perhaps more recent stuff has less impact on mainstream culture in Japan, that is more because that is the exception and not the rule, and not because the quality is less. Most of the most beloved anime, inside and outside Japan, will be loved most by fans of the medium and while there are some that have gone beyond that, none have really moved the medium from niche to mainstream, and I do not expect that to change. Perhaps it is merely a golden age for otaku (and probably sakuga fans as well), but perhaps those of us who are might be forgiven for accepting and enjoying such an age.

Toriyama I think could be said to have taken quite a break from his work since the 90's, mostly only doing character work and one-shots off and on. Rumiko Takahashi I think unfortunately became the master of filler with the Ranma series, which seems to have caused her work to suffer since then. IIRC Miyazaki technically first retired at the tail end of the 90's, but he kept coming back, albeit to admittedly lesser renowned works in comparison to his earlier years at Ghibli.

I personally think the reason that more recent stuff has had less of a mainstream impact on culture in Japan and abroad, isn't so much about quality, as it is the target demographics --- more recent stuff seems to be designed less to appeal to the mainstream, and more to otaku-specific tastes. The daytime-tailored programming of the older generations I think encouraged more broadly appealing content, particularly to overseas audiences, while modern shows are a bit ways too beholden to the more particular tastes and culture of the otaku crowd, which can limit its appeal. More and more we're also seeing artists who are deeply entrenched in otaku culture creating works, which adds to the insularity --- to my knowledge, back in the day many creators in the anime industry actually came from different artistic disciplines (background painters, musicians, playwrights, etc.), and I think that may have added to the more cosmopolitan sensibilities that reflected in their works. Particularly in the 80's too, you could really see how Western Hollywood films and Hong Kong cinema had an enormous influence on anime creators of the time, and I think that may have played some in the lasting overseas appeal of their works.
SkerllyF

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:24 pm Reply with quote
John Thacker wrote:
Paiprince wrote:

Quote:

I´m not trying to offend people with this argument I said. But can answer me how a supposed "faithful to source material" adaptation does generate more money for the source material? If I see any JoJo adaptation being 1:1 faithful to the manga(and I´m aware of that), even when I like to read manga, I still chose the anime over the first, which should mean less sales. The same should happen with, say, OPM, even when there are more chapters. It should generate more sales if the anime adaptation mixes canon with non-canon but is as good as its source, because people will want to see what´s attractive about the source material, not to pinpoint any difference between the two and say that the manga it´s better, when sometimes is not true(looking at you, Black Cat manga, your anime is better).

I tend to look at this topic of Source VS anime in two ways:
1- People hate either bonus content related to the source in their animes, or don´t want to let other studios answer some questions that the author never bother to answer or use a character better than the author(a.k.a the best fillers in Naruto and FMA1)
2- It´s inmaturity to not understand what the term "adaptation" means and treat any adaptation as if it´s obligatory to be like its source material. Which makes me think people see the source materials as storyboards and scripts(manga and video games) or character designs and script(light novels or normal novels).
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Kikaioh wrote:
I can remember too, in the 80s and 90s how influential Akira Toriyama and Rumiko Takahashi were on artists of the time, and it seems that that sort of influence just lived in the moment, since the modern generation appears to be more focused on the popular light novel art styles of today, than the styles we've seen in the past.

Who did they influence? How are you measuring the impact? You can easily point to Kishimoto and other SJ creators as evidence of Toriyama's influence, but how long did it take to really see THAT impact? 15 years? 20? Most people that are going to make a difference based on CURRENT creators won't be proven for at LEAST a decade. So you can't say "Girls Und Panzer" was influential until "Random Director X" notes the impact it had on him when he was just starting out.

Heck, you could argue right now that Haruhi was influential simply for making Kyoto Animation into a noteworthy studio. Without that phenomenon do some of their later works get as much renown? Dragonball, Ranma & Sailor Moon were important to AMERICAN fans because of the timing. They weren't some pivotal work, Sailor Moon was simply the show that proved there was a female market for anime. Dragonball was the show that was "right place, right time". And Ranma was the "cult" show that many 80s anime fans coalesced around to form most of the clubs that became today's cons and fandom. Devil Hunter Yohko was REALLY "influential" for helping launch ADV Films, but everyone remembers Evangelion as the show they gave them a lot of money.

As I said on page 1, you can't KNOW what will "endure" until you get some distance. "Rocky Horror Picture Show" bombed on release, but it endures due to some psychotically devoted fans. If you look at the time, it was garbage that'd be forgotten in months (if not weeks). Is "Frozen" influential? It made a TON of money and was EVERYWHERE "in the moment", but will people still care in 5 years? Will women talk about how it changed their lives? Maybe. But no way to know that right NOW.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10