• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Reveals Dragon Ball Super English Dub Cast

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NJ_

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:58 pm Reply with quote
SaiyamanMS wrote:
Everyone else is as expected. (Has Tia Ballard played Marron before? Not that Marron really matters.)

She voiced Marron in Kai (confirmed by her at Animaine 2014) and Resurrection F.
ryoukosan245

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:09 pm Reply with quote
This is Basically the same voice cast from Battle of the Gods/Resurrection of F minus Laura Bailey as Trunks.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:43 pm Reply with quote
This is a simuldub right? If so, it makes sense why Laura couldn't join, since she has shown the capability of coming back to do direct-to-DVD dubs, as seen with Soul Eater Not. Hopefully, along with her husband Travis Willingham for D.Gray-man Hallow (since he routinely comes back to voice Portgas D. Ace), they will eventually supplant their voices in. Trunks was Laura's breakout role, so I feel she will be utterly CRAVING to come back.
Heishi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Don't see the hate for Laura here.
I think she is a fine VA and will miss her as Kid Trunks.

That being said, great to see everyone else back.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Heishi wrote:
Don't see the hate for Laura here.
I think she is a fine VA and will miss her as Kid Trunks.

That being said, great to see everyone else back.

I've always liked her kid Trunks, but I'm sure Tipton will do fine, too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Wow, what's with the negativity toward Laura Bailey?
nagpo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Takkun4343 wrote:
Yeah, that's great and all, but what about the rest of the dub for Kai?

we don't talk about that
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:29 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:

Me either. She's easily one of the more prolific VA's to come out of the 1st Generation Funi pool (Along with Troy Baker, Vic Mignogna, and her husband Travis Willingham).
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:42 pm Reply with quote
emory

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
This is a simuldub right? If so, it makes sense why Laura couldn't join, since she has shown the capability of coming back to do direct-to-DVD dubs, as seen with Soul Eater Not. Hopefully, along with her husband Travis Willingham for D.Gray-man Hallow (since he routinely comes back to voice Portgas D. Ace), they will eventually supplant their voices in. Trunks was Laura's breakout role, so I feel she will be utterly CRAVING to come back.

It can't be a simuldub because the show is almost a year and a half old now.
emory

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:

I'll bet it's because they used a Mr. Satan clip and not a Hercule clip.
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
belvadeer wrote:

Me either. She's easily one of the more prolific VA's to come out of the 1st Generation Funi pool (Along with Troy Baker, Vic Mignogna, and her husband Travis Willingham).

Not saying if the hate is deserved or not, but just being a prolific anything doesn't mean you're always very good. David Cage is a "Prolific" Game Dev but some of his stuff is hot garbage same could be said for Peter Molyneux

Laura is a popular and frequently utilized VA but let's be frank her range is very limited, her voices can boil down to three archetypes, Young Child both Male and female sound the same, Peppy Teenage Girl between 13 and 20ish, and mature lady who sounds seductive.

Other than those three voices she's not really stretching the limits. If we compare this to say Monica Rial I'd say she's far more diverse in her tones and voices than Laura is. Both are great but just cause Laura is more "Prolific" doesn't mean she's necessarily better than her peers. Part of her popularity in casting comes from her location, she has far more opportunities in LA with the union than someone like Monica does in Texas.

Now again both are great and it's up to individuals to decide who they like more, that's just opinion, but just being more used doesn't mean your inherently better, with that logic Justin Beiber is the greatest musician of our time because he's more "Prolific" than some of his contemporaries in the music industry.

Also in full discloser I do personally feel Laura is a tad overrated, is she one of the best, yes of course, is she the best...I can't say she is.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Raebo101 wrote:
but Sean has always played him less like a typical super hero, and more like, well, Goku.

He has?

Topgunguy wrote:
Doc Morgan as the Narrator? Oh, God almighty! Why?! Kyle Hebert gets the excitement going on with his narration.

What Penguin Truth said even DragonBall's narrator for the dub wasn't so damn over the top.

Snakebit1995 wrote:

Laura is a popular and frequently utilized VA but let's be frank her range is very limited, her voices can boil down to three archetypes, Young Child both Male and female sound the same, Peppy Teenage Girl between 13 and 20ish, and mature lady who sounds seductive.

Other than those three voices she's not really stretching the limits.

Oh so basically she's the female version of Steve Blum.
NimbusRain

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Laura is one of my favorites, so I'm sad to see that she's not returning. But I understand how those things go. She has bigger roles to play out in LA and I certainly wouldn't want the dub to be held up even more than it already has been.

On that note, does anyone know of any young male roles that Alexis Tipton has played in the past? Any good sample clips so we can get a feel for how she might portray Trunks? She seems to have been in quite a few things in the past couple years but I'm not terribly familiar with any of her characters.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Snakebit1995 wrote:

Not saying if the hate is deserved or not, but just being a prolific anything doesn't mean you're always very good. David Cage is a "Prolific" Game Dev but some of his stuff is hot garbage same could be said for Peter Molyneux

Other than those three voices she's not really stretching the limits. If we compare this to say Monica Rial I'd say she's far more diverse in her tones and voices than Laura is. Both are great but just cause Laura is more "Prolific" doesn't mean she's necessarily better than her peers. Part of her popularity in casting comes from her location, she has far more opportunities in LA with the union than someone like Monica does in Texas.

Now again both are great and it's up to individuals to decide who they like more, that's just opinion, but just being more used doesn't mean your inherently better, with that logic Justin Beiber is the greatest musician of our time because he's more "Prolific" than some of his contemporaries in the music industry.

Also in full discloser I do personally feel Laura is a tad overrated, is she one of the best, yes of course, is she the best...I can't say she is.

I never once said she's the best (there are a couple vas i place abovr her), but the hate is a tad undserved.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4