• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Reveals Dragon Ball Super English Dub Cast

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Panzer Vor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:49 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Snakebit1995 wrote:
Laura is a popular and frequently utilized VA but let's be frank her range is very limited, her voices can boil down to three archetypes, Young Child both Male and female sound the same, Peppy Teenage Girl between 13 and 20ish, and mature lady who sounds seductive.

Other than those three voices she's not really stretching the limits.

Oh so basically she's the female version of Steve Blum.

Which is extremely unfair to Mr. Blum, but that's a different topic entirely.

Of course, range isn't everything. Not everyone can be Mel Blanc or June Foray. Better to have three voices that you can act well with than thirty voices that you can't act with at all.
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:49 pm Reply with quote
I would never in any shape or form ever consider Laura Bailey a bad actress she's proven over the last decade that she can be an exceptional actress. Its a damn shame that's she's not returning to play Kid Trunks but such is life. I'll have to hear how Alexis Tipton sounds in the role but its likely to be a bit jarring just considering Laura's voice is so iconic in the role. Alexis can be a competent actress on some level but I wouldn't describe her as a remarkable acting talent certainly capable tho. I'm sure at the very least she'll be fairly decent in the role.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:53 pm Reply with quote
I'm a little bummed since Laura being in the movies and Xenoverse 2 made me think there might be a shot, but then again, I also figured it would be a lot easier to schedule those than a series, so I wasn't necessarily expecting her to return.

Otherwise, the cast looks like what I was expecting, so I'm ready for it to start.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Not too surprised about Laura. Her coming back for Battle of Gods made sense because it was just a movie. She's probably too busy to return for an ongoing series. She didn't even return as Dende in Kai 6 years ago.

Always glad to see Meredith McCoy get work, and I'm glad she's been returning as Android 18. I always thought she was an underrated voice actress with quite a bit of range. She was BOTH versions of Launch, and she can do some decent boy voices too. Wish she would get some other work for FUNi outside DBZ.

Topgunguy wrote:
Doc Morgan as the Narrator? Oh, God almighty! Why?! Kyle Hebert gets the excitement going on with his narration.

FUNimation has always had different narrators for each of the different series. Brice Armstrong for DB, Kyle Hebert for DBZ, Andrew Chandler for DBGT. It only makes sense for Super to have one of it's own, even if he's already had a shot at it in Kai. I happen to like Doc Morgan's narration. It reminds me a lot of Doc Harris and Dale Kelly from the earlier Ocean/FUNi versions.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:54 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:

Always glad to see Meredith McCoy get work, and I'm glad she's been returning as Android 18. I always thought she was an underrated voice actress with quite a bit of range. She was BOTH versions of Launch, and she can do some decent boy voices too. Wish she would get some other work for FUNi outside DBZ.

I like McCoy quite a bit, too (except as Fujiko, so glad they got Ruff to play her in The Woman Called Fujiko Mine TV series). She is strangely underutilized.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
theNightster

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:08 am Reply with quote
looks like Laura Bailey is too busy with the video game work to do Dragon Ball ATM.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:04 am Reply with quote
Fantastic! Aside from kid Trunks all of the Dragon Ball cast will retain their roles in Super and I've been waiting a looong time for this. Very Happy
CANimeFan88

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:58 am Reply with quote
Panzer Vor wrote:
Of course, range isn't everything. Not everyone can be Mel Blanc or June Foray. Better to have three voices that you can act well with than thirty voices that you can't act with at all.

That's too bad. I'm actually wondering when we will have a Mel Blanc or June Foray type VAs in the voice over industry for a new generation. Does anyone come close? What is necessary to become a great voice actor? Mel Blanc and June Foray are legends.
Topgunguy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:23 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Topgunguy wrote:
Doc Morgan as the Narrator? Oh, God almighty! Why?! Kyle Hebert gets the excitement going on with his narration.

Way too over the top. The Japanese narration has always been more reverent and sagely.

Dude... to hell with the Japanese version. I don't give a rat's ass what the Japanese originally intended or how it originally sounded.
davem1992ftw

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:20 am Reply with quote
No Laura is a shame and McCoy as 18 again is lame (preferred Clinkenbeard).

Wouldn't watch since I despise Super but cool I guess.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:32 am Reply with quote
Topgunguy wrote:

Dude... to hell with the Japanese version. I don't give a rat's ass what the Japanese originally intended or how it originally sounded.

Oh look, everyone, it's Barry Watson!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
EvilOmar78

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:01 am Reply with quote
I just hope they announce the rest of Dragon Ball Z Kai on bluray.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:02 am Reply with quote
Topgunguy wrote:

You also don't care that even the narrator for the Ocean dub wasn't so damn hammy and needlessly over the top either?
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:38 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

Oh look, everyone, it's Barry Watson!

the guy who played the oldest kid in 7th Heaven?
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:35 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Oh so basically she's the female version of Steve Blum.

Steve Blum has range beyond the Spike voice, that's just his bread and butter. He was great in Spectacular Spider-Man
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4