• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Reveals English Dub Cast for One Piece Film Gold

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
D00dleB0Y

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:54 pm Reply with quote
romanmack wrote:

Incorrect with one of those, Tipton played Young Sabo just recently.

Morgan Garrett voiced Young Sabo. Also, most of the examples you and a few others have mentioned (like JYB, Travis Willingham, Keith Silverstein) have actually recorded their lines while in California. Todd Haberkorn and Matt Mercer travel to Texas occasionally (especially Todd), so they are exceptions. Todd has already voiced multiple characters in One Piece, while Matt is voicing Law.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:55 pm Reply with quote
D00dleB0Y wrote:

Morgan Garrett voiced Young Sabo. Also, most of the examples you and a few others have mentioned (like JYB, Travis Willingham, Keith Silverstein) have actually recorded their lines while in California. Todd Haberkorn and Matt Mercer travel to Texas occasionally (especially Todd), so they are exceptions. Todd has already voiced multiple characters in One Piece, while Matt is voicing Law.

Todd's voice kind of fits, but he already plays Kahzu, so I didn't consider him. And the California thing is actually why I considered them. I assume Keith recorded his lines there, so why not the other actors? JYB has quite a few Funimation roles as it is with no union ties, and he is actually a Texas native, so he could probably do what Travis did for his lines.
coolkidpiccolo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:41 am Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
D00dleB0Y wrote:
Looks like they are making us wait for the cast announcements of Sabo, Koala, and Max. Shame Sad

Well, guess it's time for predictions then. I'm really hoping Johnny Yong Bosch plays Sabo, since he has yet to be in this series. Max is going to have to be played by a buff guy and one who is a rather big name, and honestly from Funimation's catalog I don't know who would fit. And for Koala, definitely a regular, so maybe Jeannie Tirado?

Possible Sabo candidates:
Johnny Yong Bosch
Josh Grelle
Bryce Papenbrook
Austin Tindle
Robbie Daymond
Blake Shepherd

Possible Koala candidates:
Jad Saxton
Alexis Tipton
Jeannie Tirado
Erica Mendez
Stephanie Sheh

Last edited by coolkidpiccolo on Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:58 am; edited 1 time in total
coolkidpiccolo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:47 am Reply with quote
D00dleB0Y wrote:
romanmack wrote:

Incorrect with one of those, Tipton played Young Sabo just recently.

Todd is still a FUNimation regular. Matthew Mercer also came down consistently during the whole year last year and a bit this year, but not sure for how long though. I watched his Q&A panel on YouTube and he said that it's getting more difficult for him to climb on a plane and fly to Texas on regular intervals, because he's getting a hell of a lot of jobs from LA companies, and not to mention his appearances with Critical Role. Although he did mention that there are talks that FUNimation are planning to open a studio in LA to make life easier for those who has to travel but can't (my guess is they are also trying to sidetrack third party recording studios), but he said so himself that he likes visiting his pals in Dallas.

When Travis Willingham was recording for Ace recently, they must have told him (or he must have figured out) that Ace suffers something unfortunate (you know what it is), so he was still committed to hang around to voice him til the very end, but Joel McDonald said in a commentary that half of Travis' Ace lines were recorded in Los Angeles because he didn't have a lot of open-windows to climb on an airplane when necessarily (even though he was born in Dallas, as was Troy Baker, and Johnny Yong Bosch also lived there before he became a Power Ranger (before FUNimation's origin)).

Keith Silverstein did take me as a surprise though because he's a Union Actor and I saw on his Twitter that he partakes in the #PerformanceMatters strike. Although i don't know what the agreement was to get him to voice a character in a non-union dub, I'm glad they did get him because his voice works awesomely good with Gild. Maybe he's fi-core (which explains why DC Douglas voices X Drake in the One Piece Dub). I don't know. I don't know what the union contract allows and doesn't because he didn't use his pseudonym (David Roach) when the cast got announced.
1dbad

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:11 am Reply with quote
Keith's casting really excites me. He's one of my favorite voice actors, so it'll be nice hearing him in one of my favorite dubs.

I was not expecting Michele Knotz at all, but it will be cool to hear her in something else. I always thought she was the best of the replacements TPCi managed to find. Would love to see more New York talent brought on sometime!
Mr Sinister

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:36 am Reply with quote
This is one the of better anime movie trailers I've seen, got some goosebumps towards the end. Great work to the dub crew and whoever edited this trailer.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Is it just me or is the location in this movie based on Las Vegas? It kinda seems to me that it would be an obvious inspiration for it. Still looks like an interesting movie.
DarkEXE

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
D00dleB0Y wrote:
Looks like they are making us wait for the cast announcements of Sabo, Koala, and Max. Shame Sad

Well, guess it's time for predictions then. I'm really hoping Johnny Yong Bosch plays Sabo, since he has yet to be in this series. Max is going to have to be played by a buff guy and one who is a rather big name, and honestly from Funimation's catalog I don't know who would fit. And for Koala, definitely a regular, so maybe Jeannie Tirado?

Johnny Yong Bosch is finally voicing Sabo in Stampede.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2