• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Discotek Licenses Crusher Joe Anime Film, OVA Series

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:53 am Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
FLCLGainax wrote:
Yay! Now I can retire my VHSes. Hope the AnimEigo dub is included.

Since Discotek doesn't do their own dubs but just digs up the archival ones, that's a fair assumption.

Most remember the Crusher Movie for introducing the Dirty Pair, and the joke was that the "goofy" girl-mercenary movie on-screen was parodying the Joe team's work-for-hire jobs.
Prophetically, the Pair became the better remembered series.

Oh yes, a mention of the DP cameo on a fansite was how I first discovered the CJ movie.
It would have been interesting to have given the Pair an episode with Yaz's original designs from the novels, but I think the redesigns by Dokite made them stand out better.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:01 am Reply with quote
russ869 wrote:
Tough choice... do I keep my pre-order for the Japanese BD that releases in a week or cancel it and wait the undetermined amount of time (> 1 year seems likely) for the US BD? The Japanese BD won't contain english sub/dub, but I'm guessing the US BD won't include extras like both the 4:3 and 16:9 versions of the movie.

Is it common for these releases to carry both aspect ratios? From what I've seen, companies have been butchering releases by only offering cropped 16:9 when that's not how the anime was produced (Genma Taisen, Harlock, Beautiful Dreamer, and others).
NJ_

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:18 am Reply with quote
^About that 16:9 movie version, according to this post, apparently it's an LE-exclusive while 4:3 is the main feature.
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:10 pm Reply with quote
A lot of films from this era were framed for both TV and theater in mind.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:09 pm Reply with quote
FLCLGainax wrote:
A lot of films from this era were framed for both TV and theater in mind.

Even so, it's not the same as live action where a take can be done dozens of times and at many angles. You're losing information that people had to spend time to create...

And I'll actually refute you on that, because many times you get the effect where the framing feels wrong and the heads are cropped on the top.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2