• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Part 3 GN 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PsychoPearl

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:32 am Reply with quote
I really they continue making Jojonium for the rest of the parts, since they're much more interesting and better in terms of story in my opinion. They always stop at part 3 for some reason, but I guess that's because it is the most well known out of the series.. but the others don't get the love they deserve.

Quote:
It can sometimes feel like a shame for an author to kill off a particularly excellent bad guy.

I find this funny as spoiler[Dio, while dead, is still relevant and at fault for what for what in the future parts.]
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:56 pm Reply with quote
PsychoPearl wrote:
I really they continue making Jojonium for the rest of the parts, since they're much more interesting and better in terms of story in my opinion. They always stop at part 3 for some reason, but I guess that's because it is the most well known out of the series.. but the others don't get the love they deserve.

Viz has confirmed that they are releasing Part 4 after finishing Part 3. But whether it will be in Jojonium form is questionable since, as far as I know Part 4, never got a Jojonium release in Japan.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:34 pm Reply with quote
PsychoPearl wrote:

Well that would make sense given Diamond Is Unbreakable and Stone Ocean aren't exactly popular, in Japan anyway.
1dbad

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:13 pm Reply with quote
I like Hamon, but I honestly prefer the concept of Stands. I think they make the battles much more interesting, and allow characters to fight each other in more unique ways.

Between releasing the never-before-released Parts 1 and 2, and plans to release Part 4, I'd say Viz is in this for the long haul. Unless Diamond is Unbreakable sales poorly (which seems unlikely), I doubt Viz will be dropping this.

I do wonder how the lack of Jojoniums will affect Part 4's release though. Will Japan release Part 4 Jojoniums before Viz finishes Part 3's re-release? Will Viz try to make their own? Or will they release Part 4-onward in normal-sized volumes?
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:09 am Reply with quote
Stands are a lot of fun, especially as you get further along and see Araki continuously topping himself with how batshit insane they get, but it never sat very well with me how they pop up seemingly out of nowhere ("Dio stole Jonathan's body, so now we all have these fancy powarz!"), or how they almost entirely supplant Hamon as the series progresses. There were even a few times over the course of Stardust Crusaders where it seems like there were obvious opportunities for Joseph to use Hamon, particularly its healing powers, but he just...didn't. (And then when Part 4 rolls around, spoiler[Josuke's Crazy Diamond is able to heal wounds as well, which seems kind of redundant in retrospect.])
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:16 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
There were even a few times over the course of Stardust Crusaders where it seems like there were obvious opportunities for Joseph to use Hamon, particularly its healing powers, but he just...didn't.

Hamon can heal certain wounds by not all of them like a severed arm or a damaged eye ball. spoiler[If Joseph's team had a healer with the the powers of Crazy Diamond or even Gold Experience Kakayoin likely would still be alive and Polnareff wouldn't have lost some of his fingers and toes.
]
Hawkmonger

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:21 am Reply with quote
My problem with early Stardust Crusaders, up to Justice at least, is that it's all a bit more mundane than whats come before, and what will come after. Oh' i'm sure it was revolutionary at the time, Stands where a wholly new idea, but in retrospect it wasn't the greatest period for Jojo.

Thankfully in the next two volumes it'll really kick up a gear and go full blown bat shit insane, a trend that hasn't let up to this day.
anddo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:13 am Reply with quote
PsychoPearl wrote:

An often unknown fact is that in Japan, the JoJonium series of rereleases were replaced with all new omnibus editions that are currently finishing up Part 4. You can find the documentation for these volumes here http://www.goodreads.com/series/93219-jojo-s-bizarre-adventure-omnibus-edition.

These will likely be localized for western release starting from Part 4 and onwards (unless Viz dreadfully decides to redo the entire series from Part 1 all over again).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1