• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Clowns to Haunt Your Nightmares

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Or there's the creepy clown from the Clannad Movie as well
Dextres

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Hisoka from hunter x hunter and the clowns from tokyo ghoul are my top picks from seeing their shows respectively.

Neither of those characters are nothing to mess around with.

for grandmas I would hang out with:

Pinako Rockbell (FMA). If anything else, it would be pretty cool along hard work to learn about how to make prosthetic body parts/auto mail(as long as it doesn't involve a heavy dose of math though).

Edit: Crap, just check it out in the real world, alot of math, enigneering and autonomy. f@#k it I still hang out with Pinako Rockbell (FMA) anyway!

Last edited by Dextres on Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Tiberius from Demonbane should def be on this list , if not number one.

He rapes boys and girls, is a murderer, and the worst part of all his body is in a perpetually form of rot and decay. He is so bad nobody likes in his group of bad guys who are each twisted in their own right.

I mean he is basically Hisoka but much much worse.
ATastySub
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Gonna throw in agreement that Donato shouldn't be on the list. Not necessarily for RE: spoilers itself, but rather as an editorial decision. The only way you would even know enough to put him on the list is either reading non-english manga or scanlations. That seems like a really bad choice to put that information in something written specifically for an english audience. You're either unintentionally encouraging the reading of scanlations or ambushing your audience with something that is yet to be released. I have no idea if Viz's license applies to RE: after they finish Tokyo Ghoul, but regardless of series this type of information should probably not pass editing. Maybe there's some leeway in a focused article on a series or subject, but definitely not in a feature such as The List. No disrespect meant to Lynzee (other than that I liked the choices!) but I think it's better not to include choices like that in the future.
Vycey

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:23 pm Reply with quote
I did a double take seeing Donato on the list. Glad I'm not the only one who thinks it's way too soon to have him up there without a spoiler warning at the very least.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:38 pm Reply with quote
@Vycey & ATastySub My response is simply, so what?

I agree a general spoiler warning at the beginning might be appropriate, however there's no clause stating it's restricted to licensed/released properties either. Or are you seriously suggesting there should be some blackout on news on stuff not getting over to the West? Those days have long past...
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Though I lack any data to corroborate this claim, I have a certain confidence that a slight majority of clowns are more likely to elicit fear than mirth. Grimaldi's legacy is a tainted one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vycey

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:

I agree a general spoiler warning at the beginning might be appropriate, however there's no clause stating it's restricted to licensed/released properties either. Or are you seriously suggesting there should be some blackout on news on stuff not getting over to the West? Those days have long past...

Uh, no? I'm suggesting a spoiler warning. Calm yourself.
ATastySub
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:

This is not a news article. There is nothing wrong with ANN reporting on news/series as they always have in that capacity, or even in an editorial that is accompanied with a spoiler tag or such. I am, however, seriously suggesting that they do not publish story details that their audience can only get via scanlations in more general features as that not only seems in poor taste but also against ANN's general policy.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Yay it's in very poor taste for an official legal supporting website to be publishing current in japanese spoilers that there is not a official translation out for yet. ESPECIALLY without a spoiler warning!
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:40 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure Buggy is haunting anyone's dreams, any more at least. He's been more a comic relief character than sinister for a while now. Though insofar as some people are afraid of all clowns, perhaps only in that regard would he qualify as such.
tintor2

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Hisoka's pic was perfection. Laughing

Meanwhile, while the Millenium Earl is a complete "happy" monster in the manga's latest chapters, spoiler[he is becoming quite a deep villain with Nea even calling him Mana, Allen's late guardian]
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:28 pm Reply with quote
I don't know why so many people are terrified of clowns sure some clowns have been featured in horror movies but those are more the accept-in than the rule. So just like with Buggy I find clowns humorous rather than scary. Laughing
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Buggy is about the furthest thing from nightmare fuel I can think of. Very Happy

Hisoka or Mad Pierrot, on the other hand... Shocked
7jaws7

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Count me as an outlier, but I didn't find that Pierrot episode scary at all - that was just plain weird compared to the rest of the series Confused
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3