• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Is Workplace Romance So Taboo in Anime?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:44 am Reply with quote
If Japan would relax its immigration policies, its low birth rate wouldn't be so much of a problem. There are plenty of people on Earth in general, and Asia in particular, the problem is most of them aren't allowed to become Japanese citizens. I have this impression that Japan would rather create elder-care robots than allow immigrants to do those jobs, and that has a negative xenophobic connotation to me.

But then again, I live in New York City, and I've always loved living in a place where you can overhear conversations in multiple languages on a busy street. Anti-immigration sentiment never made any sense to me, in America or anywhere else.

Back to the main topic, I've definitely read manga with an undercurrent idea that office ladies are *expected* to find a spouse at work, but that might be as old fashioned as "office ladies" themselves.
Peebs

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:53 am Reply with quote
I'm more interested in finding out where Jennifer is watching Fune no Amu because Amazon is still not streaming it. I think they're going the Netflix route.
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:18 am Reply with quote
Peebs wrote:
I'm more interested in finding out where Jennifer is watching Fune no Amu because Amazon is still not streaming it. I think they're going the Netflix route.

If you don't know the answer to that question, no one here can help you, I'm afraid. I suggest Google.

I gave up waiting for Amazon so I've resorted to less-than-legal sources. As a Prime member, I don't have a problem with this since I've already paid to watch this show. If Amazon wants to sit on it, that's their decision, but I don't feel the need to accept it.

Is this really the future for noitaminA streaming, waiting for the entire series to end before it becomes available? Amazon, like Netflix, seems to think everyone binge watches entire series these days rather than following every episode when it is released. That might make sense for some series, but for anime, where there is an active community online of people who watch shows in "real time," it just encourages piracy.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:35 am Reply with quote
Peebs wrote:

I just assumed Jennifer was in Great Britain, where Amazon is streaming the show legally. But I'm still angry at Amazon. Don't license shows you don't plan to stream in your legal area and leave people hanging.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:13 am Reply with quote
Paiprince wrote:
Your workplace is not a hookup zone. Simple as that. Being professional actually holds weight in a real company. Losing productivity because of quarreling ex's makes for poor form.

Yes, but that doesn't mean you can't take interest in any of your coworkers - love is love, right? Besides, if we want to stick with anime, look at Travis Willingham and Laura Bailey. They're pretty happy.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Paiprince wrote:
Why do you and so many others make it sound like that's supposed to be a bad thing? In fact, it should be a model for countries that can't even control their population from exploding

India & China?

Paiprince wrote:
and tearing their infrastructure

You can live in a country with a healthy or moderate birth rate and still have terrible infrastructure.

Paiprince wrote:
and social services

....A high birthrate doesn't really affect this negatively.
Paiprince

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
Paiprince wrote:
Your workplace is not a hookup zone. Simple as that. Being professional actually holds weight in a real company. Losing productivity because of quarreling ex's makes for poor form.

Yes, but that doesn't mean you can't take interest in any of your coworkers - love is love, right? Besides, if we want to stick with anime, look at Travis Willingham and Laura Bailey. They're pretty happy.

There exists a time and place for everything. Sorry to say, but workplace romance just opens itself up to potential disasters and everyone is going to feel the fallout. Work is not school or a club. You can be friends with your co-workers, but anymore than that is inviting yourself into trouble just like any form of workplace politics. Good for those two and I hope it lasts beyond their careers because it'll be more than awkward if they had a bad break up and were still in the business.

BadNewsBlues wrote:
India & China?

I don't understand what you're trying to prove or disprove by those examples.

BadNewsBlues wrote:

You can live in a country with a healthy or moderate birth rate and still have terrible infrastructure.

Uh, sure but those are nonfactors here. I'm mostly calling out on the countries that have high birth and mortality rates which oftentimes have terrible infrastructure.

BadNewsBlues wrote:
....A high birthrate doesn't really affect this negatively.

Yes it does in a way that government stretches itself beyond its means to adequately handle each case for starters.

And immigration isn't the magic ticket to population recovery. I could not stress this enough. Taking in outsiders just because their homelands can't contain themselves and diluting their population to become another multi kulti "haven" is very short sighted. At the risk of derailing this further, I'll leave it at that.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:29 pm Reply with quote
@Paiprince Well the terrible infrastructure isn't because of the large population growth, it's because many of those countries are poorer. Like others have said, even in a 1st world country like the US, infrastructure is far from the best to say the least (It was given a D+ by the American Society of Civil Engineers). Granted we could have better infrastructure if the right people had allowed it but that is a discussion for a different place. And if anything the high birthrate in such countries is because of the high mortality rate, in particular the child mortality rate. Just like even 100-200 years ago in 1st world countries, you have to have a lot of kids so that enough can survive to adulthood to support you when you are older.

China and India were brought up as the population growth is what is making China especially approach being the largest economy. And China is a good example of how not to control population, with their one child policy not really curbing growth that much and leading to a significant shortfall of female population, which could be problematic in a number of ways.

While I disagree with an number of your positions, here and elsewhere, I think you're right about how to improve the birth rate, namely making childcare and raising more affordable. Now Japan has some of its own issues, like women essentially having to choose between work and marriage/having children but doing what you said is still part of the issue.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Paiprince wrote:
Yes it does in a way that government stretches itself beyond its means to adequately handle each case for starters.

You can also have cases where the Government essentially gives no concern to putting money where they should put it. It's not usually a case of government stretching resources thin.

Paiprince wrote:
Taking in outsiders just because their homelands can't contain themselves

This is most generally not why people immigrate to other countries, for example all the immigrants coming out of Syria aren't leaving there because the country can't contain their population.

Paiprince wrote:
And immigration isn't the magic ticket to population recovery.

It isn't but to be fair neither is taking an arbitrary xenophobic approach to immigrants a beneficial stance either. Europe isn't exactly helping themselves with this mentality and neither is Japan with their passive aggressive stances towards Koreans for example.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Romi Park is one of the best VAs in the business, and she's Korean-Japanese, so as far as I'm concerned, letting some immigrants in has already benefited Japan in general and the anime industry in particular. Wink Razz
Wrial Huden

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:42 pm Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:48 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
China and India were brought up as the population growth is what is making China especially approach being the largest economy. And China is a good example of how not to control population, with their one child policy not really curbing growth that much and leading to a significant shortfall of female population, which could be problematic in a number of ways.
Polygamous societies have always had a problem with ridding themselves of excess males. The easiest and most traditional way is war: enough menfolk get culled and the survivors get glory and women. A primitive society might not notice the economic effects, but a more modern economy like China's is going to show signs of wear when resources are diverted from capital to military use(and given China's... unsatisfactory war record, it's highly unlikely they'd get back from any defeated enemies the wealth they poured into it).

So yes, population control sounds great on paper, but actual implementations leave much to be desired(at best: you'd have to compensate for the greying population somehow, in addition to above-mentioned sex ratio).
BadNewsBlues wrote:
It isn't but to be fair neither is taking an arbitrary xenophobic approach to immigrants a beneficial stance either. Europe isn't exactly helping themselves with this mentality and neither is Japan with their passive aggressive stances towards Koreans for example.
How is Europe taking a xenophobic approach to anything? If anything, it's falling on its sword taking in far too many people from completely different cultures; they've already exceeded the velocity at which they can integrate foreigners.
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:59 pm Reply with quote
That's interesting, I didn't know that China had a dearth of women. That could be disastrous in the long term. Definitely something I'll have to research. I'm curious how the one child per family policy would effect the gender ratio though. Is this due to first borns being male more often the female? Confused
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
How is Europe taking a xenophobic approach to anything?

You can try looking at countries like Great Britain, France, Sweden and a few others and how they perceive groups, like Muslims for example. Instead of seemingly rhetorically asking questions you can easily look for answers yourself.

Polycell wrote:
If anything, it's falling on its sword taking in far too many people from completely different cultures; they've already exceeded the velocity at which they can integrate foreigners.

.....This completely justifies things like the Breexit vote which was partially driven by anti immigrant sentiment and countries like France doing things like trying to ban things like headscarfs how?

Like these countries being taxed to the limit from the influx of refugees coming into their borders is one thing but the anti immigrant sentiment and islamophobia that's being ratcheted up in these places is another and far worse problem that you can't exactly gloss over or pretend doesn't exist.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:16 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
That's interesting, I didn't know that China had a dearth of women. That could be disastrous in the long term. Definitely something I'll have to research. I'm curious how the one child per family policy would effect the gender ratio though. Is this due to first borns being male more often the female? Confused

There is nothing inherent in such a system that skews the gender ratio but when that intersects with a patriarchal system and male children are valued more than female ones and you can only have one kid, of course more male children would survive. spoiler[To be specific they were usually either aborted or left on like a mountain to die. Yeah...]Here's one article I found but searching one child policy gender imbalance will generate a great deal more.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3