• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Is Miyazaki a good story teller?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:08 pm Reply with quote
I would add that Akane already explained everything really well before: the author of the thread is judging Miyazaki's films by some arbitrary standard and since it does not conform to his standard he judges it as bad storytelling. I would like to add that some of the best Western stuff also does not conform to his standards: War and Peace is not "perfect" in terms of "storytelling cohesion" either.

Ethnic origins of the audience certainly influence a lot the reception of stuff, Cowboy Bebop, although highly popular in Japan, is among the top 3-4 most popular anime series of all time among Western anime fans specially Americans since it appeals to the Americans psyche. While trOO otaku stuff like Nanoha is relatively more popular in Japan than among Western fans.

jal90 wrote:
^
I'm interested on this. Why do you consider them the gold standard for storytelling in animation? Miyazaki has better rounded stories in my opinion, particularly Porco Rosso; true, Kiki is a great coming of age and Mononoke is an amazing epic, but are their narratives that solid? If these are gold standard, what about Takahata's -pretty much- entire filmography?

Well, I would say all of Miyazaki's work up to 2001 can be regarded as the gold standard of storytelling in animation. And Conan (1978) would be perhaps the best example actually, perhaps the best 26 episode anime series in terms of linear storytelling quality ever made.

While Nausicaa, Castle in the Sky and Princess Mononoke are really great epic sci fi/fantasy storytelling as well. While Kiki is like the ultimate slice of life anime. Porco Rosso is also great. Well, everything Miyazaki did up to Spirited Away was pure gold. Then things started to decline with Howls and Ponyo and his last film was not as good as his classic output as well.

And versus Takahata I would say Miyazaki is not only superior in terms of storytelling but he is on another league entirely, Takahata is like Salieri and Miyazaki is like Mozart. Takahata's strength in my opinion is on the psychological realism of his work like Heidi (1973) and Only Yesterday (1991) and not on story telling.

Miyazaki said in his memoir books that his ability to focus his mind and concentrate on his work declined after Spirited Away. And indeed he talks for over a 100 pages in Turning Point about Princess Mononoke (which he said he made because he felt Kurosawa's Seven Samurai was not an accurate reflection of the feudal period in Japan so he decided to make his own interpretation of the Muromachi Period) and similarly about Spirited Away (he says he made the movie as a criticism of how children are spoiled in modern industrialized societies like Japan in 2001), then he doesn't seem to have had a very well formed intellectual underpinnings image of his later movies and he says that his mind became a bit less sharp and less able to focus for long periods of time starting around the time he was finishing Spirited Away.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:30 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't say Arkthelad's storytelling standard is arbitrary. It is based on Western movie narrative norms which stipulate that early on in a film you reveal what the film is about, the middle portion is devoted to developing what has been introduced and the final portion resolves the conflict/s in a satisfying way. This tradition also requires that action be "rising" so that stuff that happens later in the film needs to be bigger than what preceded it. It's expected that character/s will encounter a series of increasingly difficult obstacles to their readily identifiable goal. Tangential explorations and matters are not encouraged. Elements introduced early on need to be threaded throughout the narrative as opposed to dropped at some point without explanation. It's hard to argue that Miyazaki's films slavishly follow these principles. For me that is not a problem in the least. I am Miyazaki's helpless little bitch - I'd watch an animated film of his grocery list. For others, the lack of conventional Western storytelling techniques is more of a problem.

I think the OP's main problem is that he asks if Miyazaki is a "good" storyteller which I believe he feels is synonymous with "Western" storytelling and doesn't recognize that there are other ways to tell stories that can be extremely effective for some audiences, just not necessarily Western ones.
CameronMac

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:52 am Reply with quote
There may well be truth in only understanding a western approach to storytelling. I'd be interested to know whether Takahata or Kon tell stories following a western structure? As these two are without doubt outstanding storytellers and directors in my opinion. I've been wondering why I'm not so keen on Miyazaki's films and it seems to be that his character designs, settings, and animation are without doubt incredible but I don't see the same with the storytelling.

When comparing Grave Of The Fireflies and Totoro. GOTF has a very strong theme - the devastation of war. Totoro doesn't really have a theme or a point to it. Granted that Totoro has a lot of charm - the whole story just seems a bit pointless. I find GOTF too depressing but in terms of storytelling and directing it is masterfully done!

Only Yesterday will have grown men in tears. I don't see the Miyazaki equivalent. A Takahata film is able to make the viewer feel so many different emotions. Princess Kaguya is superbly told.

Another thing is cheating an audience. If you watched a film and in the end the main character pulled out a gun and shot the bad guy but this was the first appearance of the gun then you'd feel cheated - the day was saved by something the character shouldn't have had (cheating!). In Totoro magic saves the day (cheating). In Spirited Away - guess work saves the day (cheating). These are just two examples but Miyazaki will suddenly introduce things to move the story along or conclude a story with things that haven't been properly introduced.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:37 pm Reply with quote
@Cameron Mac, there is a clear point to My Neighbor Totoro: the sense of wonder and imagination of children. Its also a movie connected with GotF in that GotF is set in 1940's and Totoro is set in the 1950's about a decade after the war and it symbolically shows Japan's growing new spirit just after the devastation of that war.

Blood- wrote:
I wouldn't say Arkthelad's storytelling standard is arbitrary. It is based on Western movie narrative norms which stipulate that early on in a film you reveal what the film is about, the middle portion is devoted to developing what has been introduced and the final portion resolves the conflict/s in a satisfying way. This tradition also requires that action be "rising" so that stuff that happens later in the film needs to be bigger than what preceded it. It's expected that character/s will encounter a series of increasingly difficult obstacles to their readily identifiable goal. Tangential explorations and matters are not encouraged. Elements introduced early on need to be threaded throughout the narrative as opposed to dropped at some point without explanation. It's hard to argue that Miyazaki's films slavishly follow these principles. For me that is not a problem in the least. I am Miyazaki's helpless little bitch - I'd watch an animated film of his grocery list. For others, the lack of conventional Western storytelling techniques is more of a problem.

I think the OP's main problem is that he asks if Miyazaki is a "good" storyteller which I believe he feels is synonymous with "Western" storytelling and doesn't recognize that there are other ways to tell stories that can be extremely effective for some audiences, just not necessarily Western ones.

My point is that even for Western movie's this standardized way of doing things did not produce the best ones like Apocalypse Now, which also do not follow these tropes. The best stuff doesn't follow these standards of writing because they are better and hence different from typical stuff and so expecting a good storyteller to follows these rules strictly actually goes against artistic creativity and hence genuine greatness. Hence, to be a great storyteller like Miyazaki it is almost required to be different from what already is there and hence to not follow strictly the manual: great artists to do follow the manual. Instead it is the manual that will be rewritten by the great artist.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Arkthelad

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Jose Cruz wrote:

My point is that even for Western movie's this standardized way of doing things did not produce the best ones like Apocalypse Now, which also do not follow these tropes.

Apocalypse Now absolutely follows the Problem>Struggle>Resolution narrative structure that I laid out. It doesn't feel tropey because the main characters are so morally grey compared to most American films, but that's a separate issue from the narrative structure.

Jose Cruz wrote:
While Nausicaa, Castle in the Sky and Princess Mononoke are really great epic sci fi/fantasy storytelling as well.

You accuse me of judging Miyazaki's films by some arbitrary standard, but by what standard are you praising the story-telling in those films?
Alestal

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:31 pm Reply with quote
I personally believe Miyazaki is one of the greatest storytellers of all time. All of his movies have immense depth and sophistication, if you are observant enough to notice. The character development in his movies is exceptional and on-par with what you can experience reading a good fantasy novel!

In terms of intellectual or mature themes, I can see how some may feel that his movies are lacking. Many people are used to Hollywood force-feeding them a plot and having dialogue that explicitly states the "purpose" or "meaning" behind an event. Miyazaki's approach is more subtle and similar to many Disney movies in that they allow every viewer to take away something different from their experience. Simply put, his stories have characters that are relatable to many people for different reasons and in my opinion that is what matters most in a "great" story.
Alestal

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Arkthelad wrote:
CameronMac wrote:

Beginnings, Middle and Ends of his stories having nothing to do with each other.

For me this is one of the main problems, and it often is the result of a lack of dramatic focus ie the stories are not held together by a main character (or characters) trying to reach a goal or overcome a problem. About half way through Spirited Away, Chihiro tells her parents that she's going to save them, but she literally does nothing to that effect either before or after she says this. That's not just Spirited Away either.

Instead of Problem>Struggle>Resolution, it goes Problem>Characters doing random stuff>Resolution.

I can see what you are saying in regards to Spirited Away. The focus veered away from the goal of saving her parents, but I think in the context (that she was an adolescent girl in an unknown world) this is not surprising. I mean, there is only so much she could've done in that situation...she was just trying to navigate her way through a traumatic experience and was worrying about her own livelihood.

I also feel it is important to note that the "journeys" characters in Miyazaki movies have are typically not filled with excessive angst or strife. The protagonists end up reaching their goals by staying the course and committing to their adventures by experiencing the moment. By doing so, they end up finding what they seek in an almost "natural" way. It's a great way to tell these stories in a nostalgic "fairy tale" like way. It's also a great way to make an enjoyable and positive movie when you only have a limited amount of time to do so.
Arkthelad

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Alestal wrote:
The character development in his movies is exceptional and on-par with what you can experience reading a good fantasy novel!

Odd comparison considering a lot of fantasy novels don't have good character/plot writing because they tend to get bogged down in world building.

Alestal wrote:
Simply put, his stories have characters that are relatable to many people for different reasons and in my opinion that is what matters most in a "great" story.

If "relatable" characters are what make a good story then there should be no need for fiction of any kind in the first place. Real people are the most relatable characters of all and we're surrounded by them all day. If stories are just supposed to mimic that then they're redundant.

Alestal wrote:
I can see what you are saying in regards to Spirited Away. The focus veered away from the goal of saving her parents, but I think in the context (that she was an adolescent girl in an unknown world) this is not surprising.I mean, there is only so much she could've done in that situation...she was just trying to navigate her way through a traumatic experience and was worrying about her own livelihood.

Then why bother having her parents involved in the first place? She could have just got stuck there on her own. What purpose did having her parents turn into pigs have other than a cheap way to create some tension.

It's also not just Spirited Away, Nausicaa and Mononoke have the same problem.

Alestal wrote:
I also feel it is important to note that the "journeys" characters in Miyazaki movies have are typically not filled with excessive angst or strife.

I have noted it, and that's the problem.

Alestal wrote:
The protagonists end up reaching their goals by staying the course and committing to their adventures by experiencing the moment. By doing so, they end up finding what they seek in an almost "natural" way.

You're making my point for me brilliantly. Miyazaki's films are filled with characters who are faced with problems but then take no action to solve them. They just kind of solve themselves.
NearEasternerJ1

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Jose, Miyazaki likes Pixar, so he can't bash Disney whilst praising the company that isn't much different. He loves Bugs Bunny. Can't really attack Disney for liking western products that are wackier. The Incredibles was great. The Toy Stories were great. The rest aren't. Cars was horrible and Bug's Life was mediocre. Miyazaki isn't refined.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 11:53 pm Reply with quote
I've never been wowed by any Miyazaki film. He has definitely put out some good stuff, but I've never really felt that there was authentic growth in his characters and the stories tend to be one dimensional for me. I think he is from the school of abstract storytelling. Throw a bunch of crazy imagery at the audience and thread that through a very simple story usually relating to child-like themes, and blam, "masterpiece."

I'm not saying he's bad. I've enjoyed every film of his that I've seen. However, every time I finish a Miyazaki film, I leave the experience distinctly wanting more.
Woomy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:08 am Reply with quote
There's no denying Miyazaki has talent, but he's not impeccable. He's dished out some bad ones before too.

For example, Ponyo is freaking garbage.

One of the biggest problems with that story is the tonal shifts that literally tries to balance an apocalyptic event over what should just be a cute little love story. Not to mention characters that are left underdeveloped, and rather unexplained. Like, the fish dad or whatever drops this huge bomb about wanting to destroy humanity and what not, with it never being brought up again. Wait, what? That's actually a pretty big deal man.

I also don't think Howl's Moving Castle is a good as everyone says it is. I still like it, it's just not one of Miyazaki's best.

My favorite Miyazaki film is Princess Mononoke. Hell, if you asked me to name ONE movie that was my favorite, I'd still say Princess Mononoke.

I think his second best are actually a toss up tie between Spirited Away, and Kiki's Delivery Service. I garnered a new appreciation for Kiki not long ago. Realizing just how much I appreciate it. So yea, I put that up there too.
Woomy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:11 am Reply with quote
You know, I don't think Mamoru Hosada gets enough love. I think he's just as good, if not at times, a better storyteller than Miyzaki.

For example, Wolf Children alone is better than a lot of his work. I freaking ADORE Wolf Children.
Arkthelad

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:35 am Reply with quote
Woomy wrote:
You know, I don't think Mamoru Hosada gets enough love. I think he's just as good, if not at times, a better storyteller than Miyzaki.

For example, Wolf Children alone is better than a lot of his work. I freaking ADORE Wolf Children.

I like Wolf Children better than any of Miyazaki's films also, but Hosada didn't write that. The only film he's written on his own was Boy and the Beast which was horrific and much worse than any Miyazaki film. Though it shared the same problem they often have as regards lacking dramatic focus.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:22 am Reply with quote
I never saw Ponyo but what you are describing is part of my problems with most of his films. He will throw out a bunch of abstract ideas and unfinished concepts and I think critics tend to like that stuff because it seems "artistic" when coming from someone with his big name. However, his stories and characters do not feel complete.
Arkthelad

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:22 pm Reply with quote
He clearly puts a lot of thought into the characterisation of his protagonists

"Hayao Miyazaki Wants You To Know Why Nausicaä Has Large Breasts"

http://kotaku.com/hayao-miyazaki-wants-you-to-know-why-nausicaa-has-large-1791368978
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3