• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Chain Chronicle: The Light of Haecceitas (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:21 pm Reply with quote

Chain Chronicle: The Light of Haecceitas (TV)

Genres: Action, Adventure, Magic, Fantasy, Shounen
Themes:

Plot Summary: This is the story of the Chain Chronicle, a book that describes everything that happens in the world.

The citizens of the remote continent of Yggd once thought that there was nothing beyond their continent. The continent was divided into several regions, each with its own king. Though there were small skirmishes amongst them, a lord, chosen by the kings in conference, always maintained balance -- until the evil Black Army arrived.

"All will be engulfed in black."

The Volunteer Army, led by Yuri, was no match for the Black Army. During the fighting, the Lord of Black captures half of the Chain Chronicle, as well as the capital. During their retreat, Yuri and the Volunteer Army encounter a boy fighting the Black Army all by himself.

So begins the story of the Chain Chronicle, of the Volunteer Army's and Black Army's battles for the fate of the world, and of friendship.
----------------------------------

CR is streaming this today. It's based on the game, Chain Chronicle.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dessa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:44 am Reply with quote
Just watched the 4 movie-version episodes on CR (I'm assuming that they'll be equivalent to TV episodes 1-4), and I'm really interested in this one. I like that it starts with a loss, reminds me a lot of Suikoden Tierkreis (which, even if it was a bad Suikoden game, was a good game overall). Definitely looking forward to more.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:07 am Reply with quote
So this seems cool. I have to admit I'm generally not a fan of "start near the end" type stories because stuff happens to characters we don't really know yet therefore don't have a real connection to. But it seems like an interesting world and obviously we will get to know the characters in the episodes to come.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:32 am Reply with quote
I am seeing it as a different type of story that looks to be starting where one would normally end, but instead the good guys failed and other things are happening. Actually kind of looked like the hero has corruption inside of him, which was what I was thinking with his eyes, and maybe why his magic was different to the rest of his group at the end.

Actually reminds me of a story idea I have been working on which has its setting hook start with the hero fail to kill the dark king in his castle as not a bad thing, and then a stable country with dark traits. Although with the black king here talking about destroying everything.

I kind of want to see the Oni people. They have a clear Japanese style to them, really don't understand why English always localise it as "ogre", it tends to have a cultural relation that does not come across with the English word.
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:39 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
I am seeing it as a different type of story that looks to be starting where one would normally end, but instead the good guys failed and other things are happening. Actually kind of looked like the hero has corruption inside of him, which was what I was thinking with his eyes, and maybe why his magic was different to the rest of his group at the end.

Actually reminds me of a story idea I have been working on which has its setting hook start with the hero fail to kill the dark king in his castle as not a bad thing, and then a stable country with dark traits. Although with the black king here talking about destroying everything.

I kind of want to see the Oni people. They have a clear Japanese style to them, really don't understand why English always localise it as "ogre", it tends to have a cultural relation that does not come across with the English word.

That's what they were called in the english version of the Chain Chronicle game before it got shut down last year.

As a former player for Chain Chronicle before the untimely demise of the english version, it's great to see the characters from the game again. It's obvious Chain Chronicle: The Light of Haecceitas was made for fans of the game since they would immediately know who some of those characters are.

Of course it would be confusing and spoilerish for first time viewers since Phoena relationship with the Black King and the Holy Kingdom's Princess identity is something that later gets revealed in the later part of the game's story.

So far the anime is based on Book 1 of the game with the changed being the Heroes lose the final battle, one important character dies and a original not from the games appears. I'll be watching episode 2 to 4 later.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:43 pm Reply with quote
So before I check this out I just wanted to confirm something: Is the TV airing just the movies cut up into 20 minute chunks? Or do the movies stand alone and the TV series picks up after they end?
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Crunchy already has the movies split into 4 episodes, I'm pretty sure the TV versions are basically the same thing, possibly with some edits.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3

This is a really solid show. Not a surprise to see Burckhardt's fate, but a shame, nonetheless. He is definitely a dick, but his strength will be missed, no doubt. I wonder if he can be brought back from the darkside. That evil babe who brought him over could probably convince me to go over, too...
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Well I checked out the 4 episode movie version. While the feeling that I'm missing a lot never goes away, I do like Aram so I can get invested in it in terms of it being his story. Certainly helps that it's pretty awesome watching him fight while the others spend more time shooting off big super attacks.

Aesthetically it's fine, though I much prefer Granblue Fantasy's more colourful and high fantasy type setting where as Chain Chronicle has a more gritty medieval type setting.
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Haven't tried this one yet. Does it make a difference if you watch the movie or tv versions? As in, does one have more story or go more in depth than the other?
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Just watched the last episode, and since some people are only following along with the TV version I suppose I shouldn't go into specifics.

It definitely ended strongly. There were a few points where the animation took a dip and had me worried, but obviously they moved the budget where it mattered and the final fight was legit.

Aram's still the highlight for me, though Yuri, Juliana and even Phoena put in a good showing. I wasn't too enthusiastic going into it but I must say I got pretty pumped as it went along.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I'm not a fan of Aram's type of character -- the young-blood who's full of optimism/hope since they tend to get "special treatment". Yuri's my type of character though -- I enjoy cynicism and doubt. That's why I like his whole transition -- it's a heroes' journey thing.

That said, the show didn't disappoint though it's a fairly follows the tradition of most RPGs so what you expect to happen does happen. I enjoyed the music and the animation quite a bit. Character wise, I didn't really care for anyone except Yuri , Phoena, and Juliana. It didn't help that there was a huge cast and none of really made lasting impressions.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:43 pm Reply with quote
EmbraceMe wrote:
Personally, I'm not a fan of Aram's type of character -- the young-blood who's full of optimism/hope since they tend to get "special treatment".

I feel that Aram is a bit different from others of that type. He was set up as being the "I don't need friends" loner sort and he could have easily been more of a Sasuke CRAWLIN IIIIIN MY SKIIIIIIN brooding type. Instead he's still pretty cheerful and his reluctance to make friends is because he's actually tried to start over many times but it always ended badly. Travelling with Yuri made him more open to the idea again and this time his companions were strong enough not to die so easily. Of course then the thing with Yuri happened but at that point Aram's belief in the power of bonds had become strong enough to prevent him from losing heart.

The optimistic type is usually one who is like that because they know no hardship. Aram's been through all the hardship and knows how bad things can get yet he still stays positive anyways. So at the very least he has an informed optimism rather than a naïve one.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:24 pm Reply with quote
True, the naive ones certainly annoy me more but I don't know, optimism (and by extension, the "genki"/type characters) are archetypes I generally dislike. In other words, HOW DARE PEOPLE BE HAPPY WHEN I'M NOT HAPPY.

Though, to be fair, Aram didn't get too much on my nerves as much as others of the same archetype. So he has that, though the "special treatment" thing is a slight peeve. I mean, he has (spoilers from the last 4 episodes) spoiler[the whole Light power thing and the furball he picked up becomes a dragon. Stop giving happy people good stuff!]

Oh, and I guess one complaint about the ending is the spoiler[lack of a Yuri and Phoena hug/kiss/PDA.] Come on! I guess I'll put my Japanese class to work by sending an angry email to production.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:57 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

Chain Chronicle feels like a bit of a mystery to me, like it should have all sorts of parts that would make me enjoy it, like all of the fantasy stuff, but in the end I was kind of lukewarm with it. It could be proof that I am kind of on burnout of anime, but maybe I also want to look at other parts that turned me off. I kind of think that in the end it was Aram, I really was not that interested in the brooding to optimist young kid like character, which might have felt like a nice insert character for a younger audience, I kind of wanted more of the other cast. Yuri's transition into a villain part way was kind of an interesting idea, but it felt kind of killed when placed with Aram's full role as protagonist. Like I wanted to know more, but due to failure of growing those characters, several scenes that tried to focus on them kind of fell flat as they were nothing but an archetype. Specifically comes to mind is the archer who is scantly dressed, who I kept wanting to know more about, but she never felt like a realised character. Phoena was probably the best character, and stayed a consistant character in a good way, but again troubles from who she was bouncing off of.

There were a bunch of interesting characters and locations, but maybe from the way it did things it just kind of felt like most of the characters had been there or met them before that we really did not get to enjoy it as much as hoped as if from Aram's point of view. Animation I think was pretty cool, there were some nice action scenes, and it generally all looked nice, but I don't think I really soaked it all in, like there was not enough weight for me to get invested. Maybe these rambling thoughts are not really making any sense?

I rate the show as Decent (6/10), I did not really lose my time watching this, I just think it was missing some sort of spark that would have made it much more enjoyable. I don't know, maybe someone else can say better, maybe it was in the writing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1