• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
To the gods of anime.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peter a

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:27 am Reply with quote
Just watched this video on sending a letter to the gods of anime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1D5hVieqns

I now know it`s not only me who is totally sick with the situation of most anime I’ve watched, which never come to any kind of conclusion.
I’m starting to choose my anime which have at least 20 episodes or season have a season 2, but most of the time this just doesn`t not work because you can have a 12 episodes anime which come to a conclusion or 30 or more which don`t.

A example of this :-
Charlotte , 13 episodes.

Children have supernatural powers, but loose there powers when they grow up, they are hunted by scientist to be used as lab rats, (short story) the main character has the power to steal other power and decides the only way to save them is to go around the world and steal everyone’s powers before he loses his steal power and save the world, THE END
FULL STOP, 13 episodes.

ai yori aosh & ai yori aosh enisi , 37 episodes.

A college student, who lives alone, met a beautiful but bewildered girl dressed in kimono at train station. It turned out that the girl in front of him was a childhood friend who came all the way to Tokyo to marry him.
Their parents are in charge of multinational companies (the yakuza ?) and a arranged marriage was set up when they was young around five ?.
He runs away and gets disowned, the marriage is off.
( ignore plenty of story )
They fall in love, but are told they can`t marry due to multinational company bit and are given a compromise, she set up a boarding house where she becomes the landlord and he becomes a tenant and they can`t show any affection to each other, But the boarding house get filled up with his college girl friend who are all in love with him, two years on and 37 episode later nothing has changed and still no conclusion.

The next season could be that she is in charge of a retirement home and he is still the tenant.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:41 am Reply with quote
Ah yes, the great Non-Conclusion Syndrome in anime, the bane of many fans. That's why when a title comes along that is actually a complete story with a proper ending, savour it for the rarity it is.

My personal most bitter "end half way through story, likely never to get a conclusion" entry in this dismal sweepstakes is Shigurui: Death Frenzy. You know how packets of cigarettes are legally required to have health warnings on them? It should also be the law that anime series have warnings like, "Beware! This title ends abruptly and you may never get any continuation!"
peter a

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:37 am Reply with quote
I wouldn’t mind if anime came to a halfway house like “Heavy Object”, which comes to a satisfactory ending where he saves his princess ( jail bate ) , but leave it open to add more OR Buso Renkin which as a time limit before he dies which is resolved.

But can list 50 anime which opens a goal or conflict which is never resolved.

Quote:
That's why when a title comes along that is actually a complete story with a proper ending, savour it for the rarity it is.

The only anime I`ve found which come to a hard stop are Assassination Classroom , Charlotte , Aldnoah Zero , Akame ga kill , Code Geass.
Which Assassination Classroom and Code Geass , they are now added more to their franchise , WHY the hell ?

Quote:
You know how packets of cigarettes are legally required to have health warnings on them? It should also be the law that anime series have warnings like, "Beware! This title ends abruptly and you may never get any continuation!"

plus one on that !!! , Big bold red letter, this anime may end abruptly without any continuation!"
Key

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:45 pm Reply with quote
peter a wrote:
The only anime I`ve found which come to a hard stop are Assassination Classroom , Charlotte , Aldnoah Zero , Akame ga kill , Code Geass.
Which Assassination Classroom and Code Geass , they are now added more to their franchise , WHY the hell ?

There are numerous others. Ones which immediately come to mind are Death Note, Maria the Virgin Witch, Midori Days, Romeo x Juliet, Simoun, Flag, Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040, Angel Beats!, Chrono Crusade, the anime version of Witchblade, Crest/Battle of the Stars (while I think there could be more story to tell there, the last OVA was a distinct wrap-up). . . well, I think you get the idea. Anime does have an annoying habit of open-ended series, but there are a lot more complete ones out there than you probably realize.

(And for the record, Ai Yori Aoshi does have a definitive ending in the manga.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Sorry, Key, but I'm going to have to disagree with you on Crest/Banner: the real story is the war, and that wasn't concluded. Even the main couple's relationship wasn't really concluded except maybe in the sense that they became an Official Couple. They did reach a decent stopping point in Banner 2 (which Banner 3 doesn't really change). OTOH, I think they did run out of source material -- there wasn't enough left to continue, IIRC.

More generally, I agree that this Non-Conclusion Syndrome (to adopt the term) does drive me a bit bonkers. I pretty much care about story above all else, so when a story is left half-told (if that), it grates on me, especially when I am pretty sure that the conclusion will never be animated.

But, that's part of the deal when it comes to anime, just like having virtually every show being about kids of various ages, or how many of them use high school settings, or treat all Americans as being blonde, blue-eyed, overly aggressive, and lacking in manners. These things just have to be endured because when anime is good, it's easily worth all the other things that annoy me.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Anime that is adapted from manga or series of light novels (which is 75% of all anime) tends to end without a clear conclusion because the source material has not ended: the anime works as an animated adaptation of a part of the story to get you to buy the manga/novels and continue following it.

However, there are many anime that have a well defined ending many of which are original series. Examples of great ones that have clear endings?

Gurren Lagann (2007)
Kill la Kill (2013)
Shirobako (2014)
Ping Pong the Animation (2014)
Madoka (2011)
Hyoge Mono (2011)
Yuri Kuma Arashi (2015)
RahXephon (2002)
Evangelion (1995) (a experimental ending though)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
peter a

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:59 pm Reply with quote
@key
Quote:

Thanks for that Key, I`ve never ever read any manga in my life, but will have to see if I can get a plot summary for volume 17 of the manga to get the conclusion.

Quote:
Angel Beats
, Isn`t that on everyone top 10 cry-baby list ?

@Tuor_of_Gondolin
Quote:
overly aggressive, and lacking in manners.

I think that is called a just a plain old Tsundere .
What get me is you can have a girl which spends her time beating up boys and all that is totally acceptable ?
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:19 pm Reply with quote
peter a wrote:
@Tuor_of_Gondolin
Quote:
overly aggressive, and lacking in manners.

I think that is called a just a plain old Tsundere .
What get me is you can have a girl which spends her time beating up boys and all that is totally acceptable ?

It is if she's hot.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:25 am Reply with quote
peter a wrote:
@key
Quote:

Thanks for that Key, I`ve never ever read any manga in my life, but will have to see if I can get a plot summary for volume 17 of the manga to get the conclusion.

Plot summary: spoiler[A relative of Kaoru has shown up who could inherit the Hanabishi zaibatsu instead of Kaoru, and he has tried to make a claim on Aoi which includes confinement. Kaoru eventually comes to the rescue and both he and Aoi decide to renounce their family names so that they can be together, thus leaving everything behind. The two finally have sex (the volume is graphic enough on this that it comes shrink-wrapped), and when Tina comes back to Japan to visit them four years later they are married apartment-dwellers with Aoi as the stay-at-home wife for salaryman Kaoru. Meanwhile Miyabi has been adopted by the Sakuraba family to presumably be the heir apparent to the family's zaibatsu and Taeko is one of her employees at the store she manages. Chika is attending University and Mayu is back in England, though still pining for Kaoru.]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:33 am Reply with quote
In my case while I am not generally bothered by the rushed/inconclusive endings of most anime series I was really bothered by Nanoha Vivid because the show ended exactly in the middle of a tournament. And apparently Vivid Strike! has nothing to do with that tournament so Vivid it's like the single most inconclusive anime I ever watched: it feels like the show was a 26 episodes long show but the last 14 episodes were destroyed in a fire or something.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 8:21 am Reply with quote
I don't agree that Madoka had a complete ending. Indeed, they kept milking more content out of it. It's probably a good example of a show that hit the anime jackpot where they deliberately create shows that don't fully conclude either as advertisement for a Manga or in the hopes of it being wildly popular so they can make more. Madoka succeeded in that, so they started pumping out more stuff to make big profits.
peter a

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:41 am Reply with quote
It`s my first time I`ve attempted reading any manga ( Ai Yori Aoshi ,Volume 17 ) and can say that my mind is not wired for reading it.
When I read a book I use my imagination to fill in gaps where it hard to remember if you`ve watched a film etc or read a book, but didn`t get any emotion from the manga, but I would have watching it in anime or reading it in book form.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:40 am Reply with quote
My big problem with manga is whenever it tries to convey action. Most of the time I find myself looking at the page wondering, "what the hell is the artist trying to convey here?"
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
My big problem with manga is whenever it tries to convey action. Most of the time I find myself looking at the page wondering, "what the hell is the artist trying to convey here?"

There's an art... sorry... to panel layout where a whole page is outlined as one single concept- if it's done right. But this is for American style comics, like Windsor McKay's Nemo in Slumberland to Disney's Carl Barks and Bill Waterson's Calvin and Hobbes... action superhero comics don't have to try nearly as hard as physical movement is so easy to convey or should be... but manga doesn't have much leeway or forethought for such design; a weekly series has to have an outline in a day or so just getting the plot down is a feat but monthlies can have- not always- more thought put behind its layout. You can have panel shapes inferring action or layouts showcasing it serially but it takes time they don't have.

Which is why so few battle series were monthlies; If you don't have to do it, why bother?

And yes, I've been studying the art of the comic strip almost as long as animation...
Key

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:

I don't read a lot of manga, but I've read enough to know that manga-ka who are truly good at this are few and far between. The best that I've ever seen is Yukito Kishiro, the creator of Gunnm/Battle Angel Alita. There's something about the way he panels and choreographs his battle sequences which makes them remarkably easy to follow compared to most other manga-ka.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1