• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Lowest rated magical girl anime?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eriek

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Hello there, I'm morbidly curious: what's the lowest rated magical girl anime here on ANN?

I'm asking here because I don't know how to find it.

Searching for the genre in the search tool seems to only return animes with a rating above 5: animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/search/genreresults?w=series&w=movies&from=&to=&lic=&a=AA&a=OC&a=TA&a=MA&th=magical+girls%7Cmagical+girl&o=rating

I also searched for the words 'mahou' and 'shoujo' in the bottom 500, since animes in the genre usually seem to use those words in their name, but surprisingly, I couldn't find anything: animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/ratings-anime.php?top50=worst_bayesian&n=500

I know I could look thru the bottom 500 by hand to find the needle in the haystack, but I was hoping that maybe someone here would know already or could tell me a better way to find it? Thanks Smile
Errinundra

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:56 pm Reply with quote
I'm curious to know also.

To answer your question, there aren't any anime in the encyclopaedia that have been tagged as "magical girl" and have a Bayesian rating below 5. The lowest scored is Momokyun Sword. The unscored anime haven't had enough people rating them to generate a score. As I recall, there must be a minimum of either 7 or 9 ratings.

A complicating factor is that not every magical girl show has been tagged as such, eg Fairy Princess Minky Momo.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:08 am Reply with quote
And low ratings sometimes mean "it's not well-known so not enough people saw it".

I'm trying to think of a magical girl anime I outright hated for being awful but....

I can't think of any. :'D Even tasteless shows like Moetan or Dokuro-chan...I still enjoyed them to some degree.
louis6578

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
And low ratings sometimes mean "it's not well-known so not enough people saw it".

I'm trying to think of a magical girl anime I outright hated for being awful but....

I can't think of any. :'D Even tasteless shows like Moetan or Dokuro-chan...I still enjoyed them to some degree.

Am I the only one here who saw and loved Puni Puni Poemi.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:51 pm Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:

Am I the only one here who saw and loved Puni Puni Poemi.

Puni Puni Poemi is a sacred treasure. Laughing
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:20 am Reply with quote
PPP is the pinnacle of what a magical girl should be.

"The Heavens call, the Earth calls, the Fans call! And heads will roll if this video doesn't sell! By accepting the power of magic, Puni Puni Poemi makes her big debut!"
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Oh now I remember.....

I didn't enjoy Jungle De Ikou all that much.

It's.......trashy. Rolling Eyes All you have to do is look up an image of it to see what I mean. People may enjoy it for how trashy it is, however......unlike Puni Puni Poemi, it's...um......while it's similar....it goes to very uncomfortable places. PPP isn't trying to turn its viewer on. It's having fun being ridiculous. You're not offended because you're too busy laughing.

JDI......is going out of its way to make you uncomfortable in a not-so-funny way. It's too similar to how real hentai treats its characters....and its characters are little girls before they transform and get F-cups.

Bennet the Sage only got so far into it on Anime Abandon, then he said "NOPE!!" and bailed. Laughing
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:27 am Reply with quote
Errinundra wrote:
To answer your question, there aren't any anime in the encyclopaedia that have been tagged as "magical girl" and have a Bayesian rating below 5. The lowest scored is Momokyun Sword. The unscored anime haven't had enough people rating them to generate a score. As I recall, there must be a minimum of either 7 or 9 ratings.

If Momokyun Sword is included, then I am putting a vote towards that.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:35 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Errinundra wrote:

All right all right....I need to find out what this is......

*googles*

WTF ARE THOSE THINGS ON HER BODY?

NOPE.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
DuskyPredator wrote:

All right all right....I need to find out what this is......

*googles*

WTF ARE THOSE THINGS ON HER BODY?

NOPE.

You should check out the ED, it is actually kind of funny that the majority of the comments are the same thing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1