• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Do Voice Actors Get Re-Cast In Sequels and Reboots?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Touma

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:39 pm Reply with quote
mercury_star
Just use what is written at the bottom of the instructions and replace "(at)" with "@".

There is a reason why the usable address is not written, You should remove it from your post if you see this before the moderators do.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
NearEasternerJ1

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Jonny Mendes wrote:
For what i understand from the article and the knowledge i have the big difference between a re-cast in the original cast and the dub cast is the difference between what is a voice actor in Japan and US.

In Japan voice actors are idols, some of the are even well know outside the anime fandom, with a very big pool of talent and were a re-cast happens mostly from personal matters as health matters, the Seiyū retired from voice acting, been moving to a different career or marriage.

Even when a different studio take over the project most, if not all talent are the same. Looking at Fate franchise.

In the US there a small pool of talent were voice acting is seen more as a part time job until a better deal appear. There are changes in the voices in a many of the anime franchises.
Not many voice actors stick around for much time.

Voice actors in Japan are NOT idols or famous and voice acting pays roughly the same as U.S. LA dubs and certainly less than U.S. union American cartoon work. The differences aren't superficial, but they're not that pronounced. Also....

animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?most_prolific=cast
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Just Passing Through wrote:
Then there's the Scott Freeman/Illyich Guardiola reason for a recast...

that there is an understatement. though funi can pull it off from time to time. they did found a way to get most of the dub cast from the tenchi muyo series to do the ryo-oki ova's as well did a cameo for ep 17-18 of the gxp series.

while doing these reboots are a massive gamble, for well known series like berserk, its definitely worth it since it is still well liked. too bad bastard couldnt get the same treatment of a reboot.

Quote:
One very prominent hentai voice actor once completely seemed to disappear from the face of the earth in between episodes of a show he starred in; the part had to be recast halfway through the series.

that i never heard of before at all. if any VA , ero or non ero all of a sudden dropped off from the face of the planet, it would be known by the entire otaku community and i sure never heard of that ever happening. wonder what series that VA was doing? why? cause depending on the series, it might explain some things.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
wonderwomanhero

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 12:54 am Reply with quote
Off the top of my head the dub va's for the original Ritsuko Akagi, Tomo Takino, and Hone Onna haven't done anything in years. Same with some of the Utena dub cast.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 2:02 am Reply with quote
JRPictures wrote:
I'm pretty sure Kari will be back for the the upcoming seasons of FLCL, the head of Toonami stated they intend to bring back both the Japanese and English casts of the show. Besides she's still pops up in anime from time to time, recent examples being Fate/Zero, F/SN Unlimited Blade Works, Nagato Yuki-chan, Durarara x2 etc. I wouldn't sweat it.

Excellent.

ryoukosan245 wrote:
One example of both the Japanese and English cast getting recast is Ghost in the Shell Arise. From what I heard Funimation wanted to get the original cast back ,but they were ordered by Production I.G. to recast everyone in order to follow what the Japanese version did.

Bad call on I.G's part in my opinion then. The show would have done much better here with the SAC cast, and it's not like the characters were that different.

Funi did a good job though on the new cast, but nothing can match the SAC cast. And Sabat kind of sticks out weird as Batou after decades of Epcar.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 2:51 am Reply with quote
wonderwomanhero wrote:
the original Ritsuko Akagi

Sue Ulu? She hasn't done any voice acting work in anime since 2002. Her last credited performance in anything was the Landers movie in 2004. Another one of those cases where the person in question seems to have just disappeared from the scene. Your guess is as good as anyone's regarding what she's doing nowadays.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 8:57 am Reply with quote
NearEasternerJ1 wrote:
Jonny Mendes wrote:
For what i understand from the article and the knowledge i have the big difference between a re-cast in the original cast and the dub cast is the difference between what is a voice actor in Japan and US.

In Japan voice actors are idols, some of the are even well know outside the anime fandom, with a very big pool of talent and were a re-cast happens mostly from personal matters as health matters, the Seiyū retired from voice acting, been moving to a different career or marriage.

Even when a different studio take over the project most, if not all talent are the same. Looking at Fate franchise.

In the US there a small pool of talent were voice acting is seen more as a part time job until a better deal appear. There are changes in the voices in a many of the anime franchises.
Not many voice actors stick around for much time.

Voice actors in Japan are NOT idols or famous and voice acting pays roughly the same as U.S. LA dubs and certainly less than U.S. union American cartoon work. The differences aren't superficial, but they're not that pronounced. Also....

animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?most_prolific=cast

But they are idols. They are promoted by big talent and voice actor management companies as idols. Some are music idols and child idols before voice acting.
What you should asking is why idols are so badly payed. Most idols receive low salaries.
They are for the most time young girls and boys that want to make big in the entertaining industry and go to the idol industry to get they name out and promote themselves. Most don't get in to the music/acting industry and after graduate from idol go to regular jobs. But during idol phase the work like crazy but are badly payed.

Like music idols, most seiyūs are badly payed.
But inside the anime fandom they are idols, with big fan groups, and many anime otaku buy anime based if they favorite seiyū are in that anime.
And some as Nana Mizuki are big outside anime fandom. Many go to be famous as J-Pop/anisong singers with many Oricon top appearances.

For absolute numbers of anime appearances don't forget that in US are very few good active voice actors and they get most of the jobs, and in Japan are hundreds and anime producers can chose from them so off course they appear in less animes.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 9:04 am Reply with quote
Just Passing Through wrote:
Then there's the Scott Freeman/Illyich Guardiola reason for a recast...

While normally I prefer a dub cast to remain the same, what those guys did justified a recast (though the choices might be a different story).
Dagon123

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 11:02 am Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:

that there is an understatement. though funi can pull it off from time to time. they did found a way to get most of the dub cast from the tenchi muyo series to do the ryo-oki ova's as well did a cameo for ep 17-18 of the gxp series. .

You are horribly mis-remembering. The only 2 returners from the 90's series for GXP ep 17 were Bob Pappenbrook and Rebecca Forstadt (and they themselves were replacements for the original originals), and hilariously enough? They recast Rebecca as AYEKA, when she played MIHOSHI, yet Bob still played Katsuhito?

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity, but don't rule out malice."

And most of the time in Funimation's case, it's both, because....

AnimeLordLuis wrote:
Well it's perfectly understandable that some voice actors can't return or don't want to since they have their own lives and besides it's not as if the production team doesn't atleast try to get them back. Rolling Eyes

Why don't you go ask Jeff Nimoy and Petrea Burchard why they didn't return? Because from their accounts Funimation cared about enough to get them back as they do farting. Both were also VERY disrespected by the people from Funimation who contacted them for the roles, being treated virtually identical.

And you can absolutely tell when the producers for the dub don't give a crap in the world about getting the originals back.

Almost every single voice actor I've ever talked to would LOVE to return to just about any big role they've had, but the company doing it has to be willing to care with their checkbook, and if they don't? well "You get what you pay for"
ryoukosan245

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Dagon123 wrote:
jr240483 wrote:

that there is an understatement. though funi can pull it off from time to time. they did found a way to get most of the dub cast from the tenchi muyo series to do the ryo-oki ova's as well did a cameo for ep 17-18 of the gxp series. .

You are horribly mis-remembering. The only 2 returners from the 90's series for GXP ep 17 were Bob Pappenbrook and Rebecca Forstadt (and they themselves were replacements for the original originals), and hilariously enough? They recast Rebecca as AYEKA, when she played MIHOSHI, yet Bob still played Katsuhito?

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity, but don't rule out malice."

And most of the time in Funimation's case, it's both, because....

AnimeLordLuis wrote:
Well it's perfectly understandable that some voice actors can't return or don't want to since they have their own lives and besides it's not as if the production team doesn't atleast try to get them back. Rolling Eyes

Why don't you go ask Jeff Nimoy and Petrea Burchard why they didn't return? Because from their accounts Funimation cared about enough to get them back as they do farting. Both were also VERY disrespected by the people from Funimation who contacted them for the roles, being treated virtually identical.

And you can absolutely tell when the producers for the dub don't give a crap in the world about getting the originals back.

Almost every single voice actor I've ever talked to would LOVE to return to just about any big role they've had, but the company doing it has to be willing to care with their checkbook, and if they don't? well "You get what you pay for"

Really ,cause from what I heard Jeff Nimoy was contacted by Funimation to come down to Texas if he wanted to return for the Trigun movie ,but was told he would have to pay his own travel expenses to get there, so either he decided it wasn't worth it or he took to long to decide and they already started dubbing. Also if Funimation didn't care about getting people back for their roles they would go out of their way to do so, for instance they didn't have to get Johnny Yong Bosch back for the Trigun Movie, they could have very easily recasted him with someone like Micah Solusod. Not to mention they decided to outsource the Black Lagoon OVA's to Ocean in order to get the cast back even though it would have been cheaper to recast everyone. If Funimation recasts everyone it's usually because of money issues.
Dagon123

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 1:59 pm Reply with quote
ryoukosan245 wrote:

Really ,cause from what I heard Jeff Nimoy was contacted by Funimation to come down to Texas if he wanted to return for the Trigun movie ,but was told he would have to pay his own travel expenses to get there, so either he decided it wasn't worth it or he took to long to decide and they already started dubbing. Also if Funimation didn't care about getting people back for their roles they would go out of their way to do so, for instance they didn't have to get Johnny Yong Bosch back for the Trigun Movie, they could have very easily recasted him with someone like Micah Solusod. Not to mention they decided to outsource the Black Lagoon OVA's to Ocean in order to get the cast back even though it would have been cheaper to recast everyone. If Funimation recasts everyone it's usually because of money issues.

Money was obviously part of the issue, and yes, he would have had to pay his travel expenses, but the important piece you're missing (from which I've been personally told by Mr. Nimoy) Is that when he was talking with Funimation, he was doing it in a group with Johnny and Dorothy-Elias Fahn, Funimation told all 3 of them what you heard from Jeff, that they would have to pay their own way. So they all decided to basically tell Funi "Get us all or get none". So Funimation decided to wait it out......and also decided to talk to Johnny behind the other two's backs (which is still a little sore spot with Jeff), and Johnny decided to take the pay cut, and Dorothy and Jeff were not told anything and were recast without telling them.

The same was done to Ms. Burchard (though the Tenchi Muyo cast didn't negotiate together).

And that is absolutely shameful, if you are a professional, grow a pair and tell the actors "Thanks for your time, but we are going to do this instead"
ryonomiko
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 7:09 pm Reply with quote
How come amount of money the production has isn't a factor mentioned as a reason why?

D.Gray-man Hallow wasn't THAT long ago, nearly all the seiyuu involved are all still very active. Cost to hire them would've been a factor though. I tried Hallow but I can't get through it, I keep expecting to hear the original cast and the revised version doesn't work for me. Yet, Funimation had no problem getting the original dub cast for it... so still waiting on WHY it wasn't the case for the Japanese cast. Confused

Tohru Furuya not brought back to be Mamoru in Sailor Moon Crystal was a let down too, given they did bring Kotono back for Usagi. Tohru could've easily done it (ability wise).

So was very happy to see Saiyuki and Fullmetal Panic (Japanese) casts will still be the same for the next installments.
mercury_star

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
mercury_star
Just use what is written at the bottom of the instructions and replace "(at)" with "@".

There is a reason why the usable address is not written, You should remove it from your post if you see this before the moderators do.

Thank you, I so dumb I dont realize that at! is suppose to be @
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 10:23 pm Reply with quote
I don't really mind recasting when it comes to remakes because it's going to be a new iteration of the characters, although there might be character voices I've grown attacted to. Sequels definately need the old cast back, however. It definitely seems more of a problem in the American industry than the Japanese one due to unions, cheap companies, and people moving away. Though to be fair, companies know American fans aren't as obsessed with voice actors as Japanese fans are so their product will still sell.

This can be a double edged sword when it comes to redubs, though. Seeing the old 4Kids/Saban cast back for the Yu-Gi-Oh Duel Monsters and Digimon Adventure movies is disappointing since it means they wouldn't get a proper dub. In cases where the old actors were part of an extremely censored version, recasts are more than welcome, like One Piece and Sailor Moon.

-Stuart Smith
ryoukosan245

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:28 am Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
I don't really mind recasting when it comes to remakes because it's going to be a new iteration of the characters, although there might be character voices I've grown attacted to. Sequels definately need the old cast back, however. It definitely seems more of a problem in the American industry than the Japanese one due to unions, cheap companies, and people moving away. Though to be fair, companies know American fans aren't as obsessed with voice actors as Japanese fans are so their product will still sell.

This can be a double edged sword when it comes to redubs, though. Seeing the old 4Kids/Saban cast back for the Yu-Gi-Oh Duel Monsters and Digimon Adventure movies is disappointing since it means they wouldn't get a proper dub. In cases where the old actors were part of an extremely censored version, recasts are more than welcome, like One Piece and Sailor Moon.

-Stuart Smith

Even though I don't think the voice acting in Yu-Gi-Oh! is very good I don't really mind the cast, I just wish the show actually had a good dub. I find that a lot of bad voice acting in dubs tend to come from bad directing rather that voice actors being miscast.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4