• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - The Best of 2016

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rai The Noblesse

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:17 pm Reply with quote
FFXV was a disappointment, FFXIII back then was better...., and FFXIII is one of the worst FFs...

but thanks to its cool grafix and fresh setting, FFXV was special. ... but can't really recommend it to rpgs fans (too many faults) ... unlike FFXIV, which is highly recommended for mmo fans..

GOTY is Dark Souls 3.. with Dishonored 2 (when playing ghost + nonlethal on very hard) and Fire Emblem Fates (full package + hard & classic mode) both on 2nd spot...
phantom_raze

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:29 pm Reply with quote
It's been a good year for me even if I haven't played all of the games that are well-received. My favorite games in particular are Enter the Gungeon, Dark Souls 3, Oxenfree, Hatsune Miku Future Tone and Furi. I still have a lot of backlog to get through.

Oddly enough, I actually don't have much to look forward to next year. The only releases I kinda care about is Gravity Rush 2 and the Digimon: Next Order... probably Nier: Automata also. And I'll mostly wait for reviews before dipping in any of those.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Gravity Rush was also a favorite of mine. Missed on the Vita, and was pleasantly surprised. Yeah, the story is kind of whatever, a lot being typically Superhero origin stuff. Loved Kat and the gravity gameplay is a blast when you get the hang of it.

Uncharted was probably my favorite just because it had the most emotional impact on me being the last one. It ended the series on such a perfect note that rarely happens in games I feel.

Some other mentions are Rachet and Clank, Trials of Cold Steel, Tomb Raider, Severed, just off the top of my head.
wolf10

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:17 pm Reply with quote
It feels weird to say, but FFXV made me nostalgic for FFXIII. The open-world felt like the natural progression from Lightning Returns, but it was odd playing a game that started out as an entry in Fabula Nova Crystalis but in the end became exactly the story FFXIII was made to deconstruct. I might actually need to replay the XIII trilogy after this...
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
I don't play Overwatch, but everything I've seen indicates it's an online-only multiplayer shooter. Which means no single player campaign, no story mode, and no reason to care at all about the characters let alone their sexuality. Which makes the buzz about Blizzard advertising introducing LGB represtation not only transparently manipulative, but ultimate pointless to boot. Although the fact Blizzard seems to be making money on cosmetics in a first-person only game leads me to believe they can sell ice to an eskimo so they know what they're doing I suppose.

Yes, the first game is online-only multiplayer, however there's been quite a few cutscenes on their Youtube channel, comic series, and probably more media on the way, also it wouldn't surprise me if some type of single-player spin-off(s) game will eventually come out as the first game was a huge success. For those of us who follow this other media, we DO know these characters and yes it does mean something that Tracer (who is their iconic character as she's generally the most prominent and the one on the game's cover) is a lesbian or bi.

And yes, loot boxes are available to purchase but you can obtain them by playing and a recent update made obtaining free ones even easier to do. It's also worth noting they've added new characters, maps, and game modes absolutely free since the game's release (for everyone, no season pass required) and this will continue in 2017. I would raise a major eyebrow at anyone trying to argue that Blizzard is trying to milk its fanbase, yes you can give them more money for loot boxes but it's entirely optional and Blizzard is providing plenty of additional free content. For the record, I have bought some loot boxes and don't regret it at all. For free-to-play games that generally have low-quality gameplay I wouldn't give the devs an extra cent, but for a game like Overwatch that a lot of time and effort went into making such an incredibly fun and well-balanced game I feel no regret giving a little more to the people behind it. I mean, I bought No Man's Sky at full price, THAT I regret in terms of this year, but to Blizzard they deserve every cent of that price tag IMHO.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:51 pm Reply with quote
I'd have to give my nominations to Trails of Cold Steel II and Shin Megami Tensei IV Apocalypse. Both have been fantastic games in their own right and definitely deserve to be called the best of 2016 for me.

To update, I finally have a PS4 and the game I'm playing on it is Exist Archive at present. Enjoying it quite a bit since it's sparked my old Valkyrie Profile flame. There's a lot of great RPGs to look forward to next year, so I can't wait for 2017. :D
Paiprince

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:01 am Reply with quote
Should Cold Steel 2 even count when it came out in Japan 2 years ago? Overwatch as GOTY? Come on now. Persona 5 is the undisputed king of 2016. Only Japanese game haters would even dare to challenge this.

Anyways, 2016 was a wild ride for the gaming industry, for better or worse. The VR hyping, the political correctness fiasco through games, console mid upgrades etc. If you've been so much as following the goings on, you'd agree with me.
meiam

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:18 am Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
Gladiolus I want to punch in the face by now, he's just too cocky and OMG, Chapter 5: spoiler[Noctis: Man, it's really hot! Gladiolus: HEY, YOU'RE THE KING! CALM DOWN AND GET IT TOGETHER! Me: Holy cow, cool your jets, dude! We're in a volcano, heaven forbid somebody mention the temperature. Also, you've also complained here and there on this journey so far so way to be a big hypocrite.] It's like they're trying to make the cool, experienced, and wise character like Auron from X but Auron worked because he would offer advice within a reasonable amount and he was self-confident but not really cocky.

Gladiolus actually somehow, manage to actually top that and eventually become even more of a obnoxious pain in the ass later on.

But yeah, most of the way trough and FF15 is a mixed bag, but overall decent game but nothing amazing. The variety of environment, monster and weapon is really good to amazing but story is flat out awful, non sensical mess (eventually there are entire segment of the story that I was asking myself "why did I just do that?" and couldn't actually answer that question...). Worse plenty of character are absolutely not fleshed out and then your supposed to have strong reaction to, like *minor early game spoiler* spoiler[the king dies and he was in the game maybe 1 minute, hard to care about him. And that's far from the only time the game does that.]. Combat is kinda shallow but cool looking and when it does click it's pretty awesome.

On overwatch, I really like it most of the time. But some let just ruins games for me, playing with random usually means there's no real way to defend against the bigger ult and you just end up randomly dying without being able to do much. I much preferred battleborn, but sadly there servers are empty wasteland.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:01 am Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
And yes, loot boxes are available to purchase but you can obtain them by playing and a recent update made obtaining free ones even easier to do. It's also worth noting they've added new characters, maps, and game modes absolutely free since the game's release (for everyone, no season pass required) and this will continue in 2017. I would raise a major eyebrow at anyone trying to argue that Blizzard is trying to milk its fanbase, yes you can give them more money for loot boxes but it's entirely optional and Blizzard is providing plenty of additional free content. For the record, I have bought some loot boxes and don't regret it at all. For free-to-play games that generally have low-quality gameplay I wouldn't give the devs an extra cent, but for a game like Overwatch that a lot of time and effort went into making such an incredibly fun and well-balanced game I feel no regret giving a little more to the people behind it. I mean, I bought No Man's Sky at full price, THAT I regret in terms of this year, but to Blizzard they deserve every cent of that price tag IMHO.

I wasn't critiqing F2P/cash shop stuff so much as I found it amusing skins were in an FPS game since you don't see your character as you play like you do in other genres so cosmetic skins seemed a bit odd.

-Stuart Smith
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:23 am Reply with quote
Paiprince wrote:
Should Cold Steel 2 even count when it came out in Japan 2 years ago? Overwatch as GOTY? Come on now. Persona 5 is the undisputed king of 2016.

Well sure if you look pass the fact that labeling any game GOTY is a subjective thing so of course there will be no unanimous decision on such a topic. Along with the fact that most of the non japanese speaking Persona fanbase (which is smaller than other fanbases) hasn't played Persona 5 yet to properly judge the game in anyway.

Paiprince wrote:
Only Japanese game haters would even dare to challenge this.

I'm not and I challenged it :S
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:35 am Reply with quote
Paiprince wrote:
Should Cold Steel 2 even count when it came out in Japan 2 years ago? Overwatch as GOTY? Come on now. Persona 5 is the undisputed king of 2016. Only Japanese game haters would even dare to challenge this.

I don't see why not. We're talking about the game being released here, not there.
Vanadise

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:14 am Reply with quote
Cold Steel II was fantastic, but left me a little unsatisfied. I was hoping it would be as good as Sky SC, and it wasn't, on multiple levels. It leaned on the JRPG tropes a little too hard and didn't resolve enough of the questions from the first game.

2016 had a lot of sequels that were good but not as good as I hoped for, actually. Bravely Second was great in a lot of ways, but compared to the first the soundtrack and characterization were lacking. Fire Emblem Fates had good gameplay (well, on the Nohr path), but the story was a dumpster fire. Both of them were also hurt by weak localizations and overzealous censorship. Deus Ex, Zero Time Dilemma, Pokemon Sun & Moon were also all good, but not as good as their predecessors.

Doom sure was good, though. Easily the best FPS I've played in many years. (disclaimer: I don't like competitive multiplayer-focused FPS's) Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth was also surprisingly good. Blood & Wine, while not a standalone game, was great and had more content than many full games. There were also a lot of good indie games, like Momodora, Hyper Light Drifter, and Shantae... and then there was Mighty No. 9, which I wanted to love but just couldn't.

It's weird to think about it because RPGs and platformers are normally my preference, but Doom was probably my game of the year. I didn't bother with multiplayer at all, but the single player campaign was just perfect.
roesnail

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:37 am Reply with quote
Looking back I didn't play many games that came out this year because I wait now for games to go on sale. While overwatch was really fun it only occupied my time for only three months and I was done.I know that SFV has its problems but it was the one game that I continued to come back to every week even though I really suck at it so I guess that is my GOTY.
cloud8100

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:19 am Reply with quote
Definitely FFXV was the best for me. I personally enjoyed chapter 13 despite the shift in tone. Actually became really immersed in the story too. Dunno what exactly didn't make sense to people, it was pretty self explanatory if you paid attention. No worse than the stories of the other ff games. I do agree it could've been portrayed better though.
MajorZero

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:07 am Reply with quote
My top 5 will be:

1) The Witcher: Blood and Wine
2) Tyranny
3) Dishonored 2
4) Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
5) Civilization VI

Looking forward to the next year. Both Torment and D:OS2 are must-have material.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3