Forum - View topic
NEWS: Top 10 Grossing Domestic Japanese, Foreign Films of 2016 Listed


Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Lemonchest



Joined: 18 Mar 2015
Posts: 1381
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Good year for the top 10 domestic box office, making 22.85 billion more than last year, or a rise of 52%. However, unsurprisingly, that rise is almost entirely down to the success of Your Name, which accounted for 96% of that increase. Great year for Shinkai. Okay year for everyone not on the Your Name production committee.

It was also a better year for Japanese Live Action films, as even with the success of Your Name they account for 30% of revenues this year, as opposed to only 24% last year.

edit: Bored, so having a bit of a play with the top 100 box office (according to Box Office Mojo)

Total box office of the top 100 was 1.56 billion USD. Japanese productions accounted for 63 titles & 62% (976 million USD) of the box office. Toho was the dominant distributor, with its films taking 669 million USD, or 69% of the total domestic box office. Disney was the biggest foreign distributor, taking 247 million USD, or 42% of the total foreign box office.

According to wiki there were 40 Japanese animated features released this year, of which 16 made the top 100, with five in the top 100. Although they dominated the top 10, overall animated features took 44% of domestic box office revenues; though considering they constituted 34% of domestic titles, that still reflects the outsized influence of animation on the domestic box office.

The Yu-Gi-Oh film was number 68, for the person who asked.

Compared to 2015, revenues of the top 100 domestic titles were up 40% on 2015. Animation revenues were up 31%.


Last edited by Lemonchest on Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:05 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
KH91



Joined: 17 May 2013
Posts: 4859
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Mega Shinkai domination. Unfortunate that Yu-Gi-Oh! TDSoD is not in the top 10.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Zin5ki
SubscriberSubscriber


Joined: 06 Jan 2008
Posts: 5588
Location: London, UK
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Shinkai is bigger than Star Wars! But the powers that be prevent one of them from reaching our beady, ever-expectant eyes, alas.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Deynard21



Joined: 30 Dec 2016
Posts: 31
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Kimi no na wa looking at rest of movies in 2016 be like

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
#sukkar



Joined: 19 Nov 2014
Posts: 67
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:50 pm Reply with quote
KH91 wrote:
Mega Shinkai domination. Unfortunate that Yu-Gi-Oh! TDSoD is not in the top 10.


I'd wager a guess it's probably not even in the top 20.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Saku-dono



Joined: 14 Feb 2014
Posts: 621
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Woooo! Kimi no na Wa utterly destroys the competition. But well, I'm glad Conan's movie 20 did a great job, but now, I'm worried about their movie 21...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Afezeria



Joined: 20 Aug 2015
Posts: 496
Location: Malaysia, Kuantan.
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Glad that even Star Wars can't beat "your name". I have no problem with that franchise but it's nice seeing that even a major name brand will not always yield first place and utter success everywhere in the world. Seeing that a new Star War project had been announced right after Rogue One, I'm honestly feeling they are milking it at this point, something that Hollywood loved doing. It makes major sense if you are in the business though so I'm just saying it out of pure opinion.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Stuart Smith



Joined: 13 Jan 2013
Posts: 1054
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Afezeria wrote:
Glad that even Star Wars can't beat "your name". I have no problem with that franchise but it's nice seeing that even a major name brand will not always yield first place and utter success everywhere in the world. Seeing that a new Star War project had been announced right after Rogue One, I'm honestly feeling they are milking it at this point, something that Hollywood loved doing. It makes major sense if you are in the business though so I'm just saying it out of pure opinion.


One thing to keep in mind is this list is pure revenue, not tickets sold if you care about audiences. For example, Yokai Watch's opening beat out Star Wars opening in terms of ticket sales, but Star Wars had more expensive tickets so it made more money opening weekend.

As far as Star Wars is concerned I stopped caring about it the minute Disney got the rights. I view the Disney stuff non-canon just like Disney axed the older canon. But Star Wars is looking to be the new MCU with all the future spin-offs and movies. It's definately going to be an oversaturated franchise within a year or two.

-Stuart Smith
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jose Cruz



Joined: 20 Nov 2012
Posts: 1346
Location: Serra Gaucha/Minnesota
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Manga/anime is such niche and obscure subculture in Japan indeed. (sarcasm)

Out of the top 10 highest grossing Japanese films of 2016, 6 animations, 3 manga adaptations and one Godzilla film directed by Evangelion's director.

I hope Your Name's continues to gross a lot of money in China and maybe in the West. It's good if more people around the world are exposed to first rate animation.

About Star Wars: certainly, Disney is milking the franchise hard now and they will because anything with "Star Wars" on it makes a ton of money and they will make a new Star Wars movie per year until they they start to turn out a financial loss.

Lemonchest wrote:
According to wiki there were 40 Japanese animated features released this year, of which 16 made the top 100, with five in the top 100. Although they dominated the top 10, overall animated features took 44% of domestic box office revenues; though considering they constituted 34% of domestic titles, that still reflects the outsized influence of animation on the domestic box office.


Wikipedia's data on these movies is always very incomplete. I remember I read an article that said in 2006 there were about 130 animated films released in Japan. Although the article does not specify if among these films there were TV shows like Psycho-Pass that were screened in Japanese theaters or OVAs like Gunbuster which were also screened in Japanese theaters. So the definition of "animated film" is not very clear.


Last edited by Jose Cruz on Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Afezeria



Joined: 20 Aug 2015
Posts: 496
Location: Malaysia, Kuantan.
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
..
Oh, okay, Stuart. I'm guessing "your name" also had cheaper tickets and hence enhanced the reason to be happy with Star Wars being defeated by it with a huge miles? Can't believed they'd priced it high even for a major brand though, but they need to take all the advantages that is available, I presumed. I'll barely visited the cinema so I wouldn't really know.

Yeah, I read somewhere that Disney also used to cancelled some old Star War games and fired all the staffs that is responsible for it. I was never a big fan of this franchise but I'm always wondering how good it would get with a hard R rating. Guess with Disney at helm, that would never absolutely happened.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kutsu



Joined: 23 Apr 2011
Posts: 570
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Saku-dono wrote:
Woooo! Kimi no na Wa utterly destroys the competition. But well, I'm glad Conan's movie 20 did a great job, but now, I'm worried about their movie 21...


It probably won't do as well as a black organization anniversary movie, but the Conan movie franchise is still remarkably stable. I think it will probably do around 4.5-5 billion yen which would be a fine total.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mike Jensen



Joined: 31 Dec 2016
Posts: 5
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:11 am Reply with quote
Afezeria wrote:
I was never a big fan of this franchise but I'm always wondering how good it would get with a hard R rating. Guess with Disney at helm, that would never absolutely happened.

While the Disney logo would not appear on an "R"-rated moving, companies owned by the Walt Disney Company have gotten such ratings.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jayhosh



Joined: 24 May 2013
Posts: 811
Location: Millmont, Pennsylvania
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:41 am Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
Afezeria wrote:
Glad that even Star Wars can't beat "your name". I have no problem with that franchise but it's nice seeing that even a major name brand will not always yield first place and utter success everywhere in the world. Seeing that a new Star War project had been announced right after Rogue One, I'm honestly feeling they are milking it at this point, something that Hollywood loved doing. It makes major sense if you are in the business though so I'm just saying it out of pure opinion.


One thing to keep in mind is this list is pure revenue, not tickets sold if you care about audiences. For example, Yokai Watch's opening beat out Star Wars opening in terms of ticket sales, but Star Wars had more expensive tickets so it made more money opening weekend.

As far as Star Wars is concerned I stopped caring about it the minute Disney got the rights. I view the Disney stuff non-canon just like Disney axed the older canon. But Star Wars is looking to be the new MCU with all the future spin-offs and movies. It's definately going to be an oversaturated franchise within a year or two.

-Stuart Smith


Um, I'm not sure what you guys are talking about. Star Wars has been an "oversaturated" franchise long before Disney ever got their hands on it. From tv shows to books to video games to legos. It's always been everywhere, let's not pretend otherwise. And the new films are canon, whether you want to accept it or not.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
BVerfG



Joined: 23 Oct 2015
Posts: 33
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:54 am Reply with quote
Jayhosh wrote:
Stuart Smith wrote:
Afezeria wrote:
Glad that even Star Wars can't beat "your name". I have no problem with that franchise but it's nice seeing that even a major name brand will not always yield first place and utter success everywhere in the world. Seeing that a new Star War project had been announced right after Rogue One, I'm honestly feeling they are milking it at this point, something that Hollywood loved doing. It makes major sense if you are in the business though so I'm just saying it out of pure opinion.


One thing to keep in mind is this list is pure revenue, not tickets sold if you care about audiences. For example, Yokai Watch's opening beat out Star Wars opening in terms of ticket sales, but Star Wars had more expensive tickets so it made more money opening weekend.

As far as Star Wars is concerned I stopped caring about it the minute Disney got the rights. I view the Disney stuff non-canon just like Disney axed the older canon. But Star Wars is looking to be the new MCU with all the future spin-offs and movies. It's definately going to be an oversaturated franchise within a year or two.

-Stuart Smith


Um, I'm not sure what you guys are talking about. Star Wars has been an "oversaturated" franchise long before Disney ever got their hands on it. From tv shows to books to video games to legos. It's always been everywhere, let's not pretend otherwise. And the new films are canon, whether you want to accept it or not.


It probably depends how you understand oversaturated, but going by the normal definition, of there being so much of it that noone wants to see it anymore, it very clearly is not oversaturated nor do I believe it will be in a reasonable period of time, certainly not within two years. We don't see it with the other major franchises, so why would it happen to Star Wars? An individual might be fed up with it, but the general audience is lapping it up and will continue to do so for another decade, i'd venture
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Stuart Smith



Joined: 13 Jan 2013
Posts: 1054
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:12 am Reply with quote
Afezeria wrote:

Oh, okay, Stuart. I'm guessing "your name" also had cheaper tickets and hence enhanced the reason to be happy with Star Wars being defeated by it with a huge miles? Can't believed they'd priced it high even for a major brand though, but they need to take all the advantages that is available, I presumed. I'll barely visited the cinema so I wouldn't really know.

Yeah, I read somewhere that Disney also used to cancelled some old Star War games and fired all the staffs that is responsible for it. I was never a big fan of this franchise but I'm always wondering how good it would get with a hard R rating. Guess with Disney at helm, that would never absolutely happened.


Ticket costs for Star Wars cost more due to typical 4D/other premium cinema features. I think its around an extra 1000 yen per ticket, but don't quote me on that.

Disney seems content with toning down the franchise, so I doubt an R rated anything will happen again. They've banned Slave Leia and other things from what I've been told.

Jayhosh wrote:
Um, I'm not sure what you guys are talking about. Star Wars has been an "oversaturated" franchise long before Disney ever got their hands on it. From tv shows to books to video games to legos. It's always been everywhere, let's not pretend otherwise. And the new films are canon, whether you want to accept it or not.


We're talking about movies. Obviously they're now 'canon', but Disney axing all the continuity they didn't create and retconning the rest certainly rubbed many a old nerds the wrong way.

-Stuart Smith
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group