• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 8 Ghost Bustin' Anime to Keep Spooks Away

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:57 am Reply with quote
Showsni wrote:
I really enjoyed the manga of Ghost Sweeper Mikami, though I haven't seen the anime. Or played the SNES game, though that looks pretty good too. In any case, I'd highly recommend the manga. The way the relationship between the male lead and another character developed was particularly memorable.

Sadly, Section23's anime DVD collection seems to be out of print. Crying or Very sad
In the meantime, while we wait and hope for Discotek(?) to rescue more of ADV's riches, ToeiAnimationUS has the entire series up on their own YouTube channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wiysqnr6n7A
kgw

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:09 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Curling. Curling, curling, curling. Yes I'm biased because I curl, but dear lord it would be amazing.

I voted for curling too, and here we don't even curl. It could be an epic comedy series as no other. Very Happy
Felicity dash

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:29 pm Reply with quote
But isn't Yuri on ice already about figure skating?
Souther

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Definitely dodgeball. I only know of one dedicated dodgeball anime. Something as whacky as the Super Dodgeball Games would be pretty great.

EDIT: E-Sports's a good choice as well. Would love a shonen about fighting games and the competitive scene.

Last edited by Souther on Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:59 pm Reply with quote
TooLazyToComeUpWithaName wrote:
Hockey all the way. Hockey is such a high energy sport that it'd be great to watch.
Apply a little hot-blooded shounen and it's beyond perfect: after all, who doesn't want to see fights that threaten to smash the glass at every turn?
Cetais

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Felicity dash wrote:

Yes, but can you name more than two anime about figure skating? It's about sports that aren't represented a lot, it's not because it happened twice that you don't need to make more.

That's like LGBT characters, "there's one here, so we don't need to have more for the other 200 anime airing this year"

Someone added Turkish oil wrestling, and it totally got my vote. Along wrestling and lacrosse.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Heh, I loved that little shout out they did in Tokyo ESP. Fortunately, Peggy got rescued.

I'd have loved to have seen a domestic release of Ryoko's Case File, it was a fun show. Underrated and forgotten, alas.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
ryonomiko
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Nearly all the members of SPR which Mai unexpectedly gets a job at in Ghost Hunt have abilities, not just Mai.

I love Natsume Yuujinchou, but ayakashi/yokai are not ghosts, as in spirits of dead humans, so is the list meant to be the more broad spectrum of supernatural? Even so, Natsume doesn't hunt ayakashi.

I'd hoped to see Psychic Detective Yakumo on the list.
Raikuro

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:10 am Reply with quote
aereus wrote:
Can't believe he didn't mention Mononoke? Or does it have to be stuff only available physically?

Mononoke has been available physically since July 2014.
https://smile.amazon.com/Mononoke-Artist-Not-Provided/dp/B00IXL1J3U/
Ouran High School Dropout

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:45 am Reply with quote
Have fond memories of both Ghost Sweeper Mikami and Phantom Quest Corps. Loved the dub for Ghost Stories! Have Ghost Hunt but haven't watched it yet.

...and I'm probably going to regret this, but does anyone else here remember a little OVA called Ghost Talker's Daydream?
SejinPK

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:57 pm Reply with quote
After reading the title of the article, I couldn't help but think of how, on Kaiki's (from the Monogatari Series) business card, he advertises himself as a ghost buster. Razz

More on-topic, a "sports" anime I'd love to see is one focusing specifically on the internal Chinese martial arts (taijiquan, baguazhang, and xingyiquan) that actually does them justice. The only mention of any of them I've seen in an anime is baguazhang in Kenichi: History's Mightiest Disciple, which is just a glorified name drop. I know this is incredibly specific, and the knowledge base on the part of any creators to actually do the internal martial arts justice is probably not there. Maybe if Chinese co-productions become better in the future, there'll be the slightest chance of this happening.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:44 pm Reply with quote
aereus wrote:
Can't believe he didn't mention Mononoke? Or does it have to be stuff only available physically?

I'm a she, but I've featured Mononoke a few times already. It was on my short list for this column but decided to go with shows that haven't been written up in The List before. Mononoke would also qualify for sure.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tomchic420

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:33 am Reply with quote
Cetais wrote:
Felicity dash wrote:

Yes, but can you name more than two anime about figure skating? It's about sports that aren't represented a lot, it's not because it happened twice that you don't need to make more.

Yeah. Hopefully a figure skating anime with a male and female pairing.
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:09 pm Reply with quote
aereus wrote:

I was just thinking of that show, although I couldn't recall the title.

And wouldn't Bleach count as a ghost busting show? Granted it's the Shinigami who are doing the ghost busting. Although they seem to spend more time fighting among themselves than dealing with ghosts.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3