• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Winter 2017 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:38 pm Reply with quote
CaRoss wrote:
Akiba's Trip was ridiculously stupid fun. It was upbeat and just charming in a way that too few lower grade anime aim to be. And Gonzo definitely went the right route by making it a bit more budget than they could have.

It looks colourful and is full of just bombast and ridiculousness that I can honestly see keeping me entertained throughout the whole season. Definitely going to keep this one on my "to watch" list due to the pure fun of it.

Also, if this is what the plot of the first game was like... why did we never get it here? (Other than the obvious PSP death) It's so much more compelling than the kind of... hmm... awful opening that Akiba's Trip 2 had.

Cool, the responses in here plus the couple of previews, I should give it a watch with dub out for some mindless fun like the game.

residentgrigo wrote:
I won´t bother with Space Battleship Yamato 2202, as I saw the whole original franchise back in the day, and this is a remake of the 2nd 70s tv show. I even ain´t that big a fan but it´s nice to see usually worthless Xebec do something worthwhile.

Just as a quick aside for those interested in it, it's definitely worth watching. The first season of this Yamato remake was actually fantastic, it still feels "right" and like a classic but more modern in touches, the updates were great, also including a couple of extra and finally useful female characters (particularly Yamamoto and ), the soundtrack nailed it, and it was a gorgeous production.
CaRoss

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:53 pm Reply with quote
DangerMouse wrote:

Cool, the responses in here plus the couple of previews, I should give it a watch with dub out for some mindless fun like the game.

If you enjoyed the game as mindless fun, then this show should definitely be right up your alley. While adapting the game that we never got in North America, due to it being on the PSP, the anime echoes the charm of the series really well.

It's not going to be winning any awards, but it's fun and that's what I'm always looking for from anime at least. Anything better than that is just a real treat Anime hyper
Shaterri

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:52 pm Reply with quote
It's interesting that even the worst review on Akiba's Trip is still 'this could have been a whole lot worse'. I'm certainly not watching it (I didn't even watch Keijo!!!!!!!!!) but maybe we're actually seeing a trend towards halfway-tolerable fanservice shows?
Wingbeats

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Watching Akiba Strip....and I wasn't completely off-put, and I was even amused at some points. I generally dislike the obnoxious otaku leads of shows like these, but this was one less annoying than usual.

Plus, the whole thing had that gleeful "hooray boobs!!" vibe of Keijo, which I watched all of last season. I rather like fanservice when it's gleeful not presented as shaming Very Happy

I'll give this one an episode 2, and I'm also rather excited about Funimation's attempt at true simuldubs. We truly live in the future, don't we?
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Izanagi009 wrote:

Also, can we get a review of the Fate/Grand Order OVA that came out? I would like to hear if it's worth my time

it's a good introduction to the series. while the first half is badly executed info dump, once things start rolling is as good as it can be. so, about as good as ufo table's ubw; but note that it is an intro for the game/tv series and by itself it might be weak.
dash56

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Akiba's Trip had some meh parts and some funny parts but over all it was a fun little show. Worth at least a 3 episode try.

Plus Rie Takahashi is always a nice VA to listen too.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:03 am Reply with quote
So Gonzo's 10th anniversary anime was Last Exile, their 15th anniversary was Mardock Scramble, their 20th anniversary was Last Exile - Fam, The Silver Wing and their 25th anniversary is...Akiba's Trip?? That's kinda sad. At this rate there won't be a 30th anniversary.

Despite this being a Gonzo joint, it felt weirdly like something Haoliners would put out. Not quite sure why exactly, something about the character designs, colors and lack of coherence, maybe. Anyway, one down and out. Next!
Key

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:41 am Reply with quote
Izanagi009 wrote:
Huh, i'm actually conflicted on Akiba's Trip

On the one hand, I like Keijo and Konosuba a lot for being over the top funny romps so the show might be nice

On the other hand, I'm not sure how its executed in comparison to Keijo and Konosuba

Anyone got advice?

The first episode is crap compared to either of those two. (Of course, Konosuba's first episode definitely wasn't one of its strongest, but it was still funnier that AT's.)

Quote:
Also, can we get a review of the Fate/Grand Order OVA that came out? I would like to hear if it's worth my time

It's getting a separate full review since it's not technically part of the TV season.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:30 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Izanagi009 wrote:
Huh, i'm actually conflicted on Akiba's Trip

On the one hand, I like Keijo and Konosuba a lot for being over the top funny romps so the show might be nice

On the other hand, I'm not sure how its executed in comparison to Keijo and Konosuba

Anyone got advice?

The first episode is crap compared to either of those two. (Of course, Konosuba's first episode definitely wasn't one of its strongest, but it was still funnier that AT's.)

I find that hilariously decisively concise. Wouldn't work as a preview blurb but there's only so many ways you can dress crap up.

I believe I'm going to watch Akiba Strip to see how bad it can get as I don't recall laughing during the first episode. I do remember thinking "What is going on?" and "Why is it going on?"

They did a better job explaining the first one than the second.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:01 am Reply with quote
Oh my, starting with the strongest contestant for the "best" first episode of the Season.
CaptainAvatar

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Just when I thought Keijo had set the bar for ludicrous fanservice, Gonzo drops the bar to the floor. At least Keijo, for all its ridiculousness, is watchable. This is not.
SkerllyF

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
So Gonzo's 10th anniversary anime was Last Exile, their 15th anniversary was Mardock Scramble, their 20th anniversary was Last Exile - Fam, The Silver Wing and their 25th anniversary is...Akiba's Trip?? That's kinda sad. At this rate there won't be a 30th anniversary.

Despite this being a Gonzo joint, it felt weirdly like something Haoliners would put out. Not quite sure why exactly, something about the character designs, colors and lack of coherence, maybe. Anyway, one down and out. Next!

You mean that at any anniversary they have, they release the most awful shows in existence?

And also, at this point, the company shouldn´t even exist. It hasn´t apported a worth watching show in the last 10 years or so. Wasn´t it dealing with bankrupcy a few months earlier?
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:45 pm Reply with quote
SkerllyF wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:

You mean that at any anniversary they have, they release the most awful shows in existence?

And also, at this point, the company shouldn´t even exist. It hasn´t apported a worth watching show in the last 10 years or so. Wasn´t it dealing with bankrupcy a few months earlier?

Those are far from the most awful shows in existence. While this one and and Fam were certainly weaker, they are far from the worst shows. Mardock Scramble and Last Exile are respectable shows to say the least. But let's not go any further down this road, while I'm still amenable to being polite.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:56 pm Reply with quote
SkerllyF wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:

I meant that each 5 yr anniversary shows a drop in quality. Last Exile was nearly a masterpiece, Mardock at least showed serious intent toward making something worthwhile (ymmv on their success), Fam was a shadow of its predecessor, but still showed some quality, but Akiba looks like an unsalvageable mess right out the gate.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:57 pm Reply with quote
I'll give Akiba's Trip this much: it was energetic without being OTT/exhausting; I didn't hate it (and actually don't mind watching another episode); having a simuldub available is impressive, even in 2017.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 33