• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Winter 2017 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:12 am Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
Theron wrote:
Quote:
I also think there's a fairly obvious choice for who should be Being X

So, you thinking Jeremy Schwartz?

John Swasey, actually. I've always imagined him voicing God at some point.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bassgs435

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Just coming to correct something. Youjo Senki isn't Funi's first simuldub to be released this season, Akiba's Trip is. With the first 2 episodes' dub being uploaded at the same time the sub was. Of course, this was obviously an experimental thing, and it didn't hold for long with episode 3's dub being uploaded around a week after the sub
Raebo101

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:49 pm Reply with quote
On the Simuldub of Fuuka, Gabriella Ekens said:
Quote:
With the exception of Fuuka's bit, Funimation has decided to keep the songs in Japanese. I don't mind it, but I do wonder how consistent they'll be – so far it's only affected Koyuki, but Fuuka herself will be getting a proper song in a few episodes.

Knowing Funimation, the rest of the songs will probably be dubbed for the home video release. Caitlin Glass also ADR directed Show By Rock, and they dubbed all the songs.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:58 am Reply with quote
Aaron definitely has had his share of harem/fan service show leads with titles "Cat Planet Cuties", "Corpse Princess", "Dragonar Academy", and "Sankarea". I am enjoying his role of Yuu, especially the moments where his character is mistaken for being a pervert. Also, as he used to play Alphonse, Alphonse still likes cats (subtle dirty joke).
Raebo101

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:28 pm Reply with quote
On the Simuldub of Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid, Rebbeca Silverman said:
Quote:
Hopefully it's an issue which will be fixed when the series is released on disc as being due to the pressure of getting the simuldub out and not a sign of how the characters' relationship is going to be treated by the dub.

Thanks a lot for pointing this out, because it helps to put this into perspective. From how Kobayashi acted in the first episode, the scriptwriter may have been convinced that the character was straight. Kobayashi certainly didn't indicate that she may be into women at all. But that's all this is; the first episode. Unlike the Japanese producers, FUNimation doesn't have all the answers. In a Simuldub, FUNimation only has the materials that are given to them from their Japanese partners, and they work episode by episode. Had it been a home video release, where they WOULD have all the answers, the line in the English Dub may not have been written the way it was.

This controversy really annoys me, because, in a dub that gets so much right, I don't want to see all the focus given to one measly misunderstood line! I mean, the scriptwriter has worked on Yurikuma Arashi, an anime where EVERY girl is a lesbian, and they did a very good job adapting it. So I highly doubt they'd attempt to change Kobayashi's sexuality. They just need more to go on. I'm positive the relationship between Kobayashi and Tohru will be treated the same way it's being treated in the subbed version from here on out.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Raebo101 wrote:
Quote:
Hopefully it's an issue which will be fixed when the series is released on disc as being due to the pressure of getting the simuldub out and not a sign of how the characters' relationship is going to be treated by the dub.

Thanks a lot for pointing this out, because it helps to put this into perspective. From how Kobayashi acted in the first episode, the scriptwriter may have been convinced that the character was straight. Kobayashi certainly didn't indicate that she may be into women at all. But that's all this is; the first episode. Unlike the Japanese producers, FUNimation doesn't have all the answers. In a Simuldub, FUNimation only has the materials that are given to them from their Japanese partners, and they work episode by episode. Had it been a home video release, where they WOULD have all the answers, the line in the English Dub may not have been written the way it was.

This controversy really annoys me, because, in a dub that gets so much right, I don't want to see all the focus given to one measly misunderstood line! I mean, the scriptwriter has worked on Yurikuma Arashi, an anime where EVERY girl is a lesbian, and they did a very good job adapting it. So I highly doubt they'd attempt to change Kobayashi's sexuality. They just need more to go on. I'm positive the relationship between Kobayashi and Tohru will be treated the same way it's being treated in the subbed version from here on out.

I agree, the dub has a fairly strong start. I was a little worried about Sarah Wiedenheft at first, but she grew on me as the episode continued.

As for the line, Hopefully it will be something that's ironed out in the home release.
Zumie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:54 pm Reply with quote
A lot of people seem to be giving Youjo Senki a bad rap and I haven't had a chance to weigh in. I'm surprised of the hate it's getting- but in retrospect I guess it's because of the "moe" feel related to it.

When I first seen the character designs, they looked horribly wonky and bad- but the anime itself is a surprise and beautiful, truly a surprise (and a relief considering I was a fan before hand). And, of course, I don't see anything ugly about Tanya nor her.. counterpart- miss complicated-name-who-i-can't-remember!

Nonetheless, I think and hope there will be a second season, or maybe a least a long first season. I don't remember the last time an anime got a 24 episode season but it will be nice, and considering how many light novels there are out, it shouldn't be a problem finding material.
Soulpiece

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:23 am Reply with quote
Raebo101 wrote:
Quote:

I don't get the hate this dub is getting after one line, people think it's offisive to kobayashi character growth & think funi is erasing lesbian relationships in it. Also saying it doesn't matter if this won't be in the bd/DVD release & the dub script will make torhu into a lesbian rapist???
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:12 am Reply with quote
Zumie wrote:
A lot of people seem to be giving Youjo Senki a bad rap and I haven't had a chance to weigh in. I'm surprised of the hate it's getting- but in retrospect I guess it's because of the "moe" feel related to it.

When I first seen the character designs, they looked horribly wonky and bad- but the anime itself is a surprise and beautiful, truly a surprise (and a relief considering I was a fan before hand). And, of course, I don't see anything ugly about Tanya nor her.. counterpart- miss complicated-name-who-i-can't-remember!

Nonetheless, I think and hope there will be a second season, or maybe a least a long first season. I don't remember the last time an anime got a 24 episode season but it will be nice, and considering how many light novels there are out, it shouldn't be a problem finding material.

It has also been given a lot of love too. The character designs do grow on you.
steelmirror

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:11 pm Reply with quote
You know, with respect to the dub of Kobayashi's Dragon Maid, I actually thought the line change was good. The original line 'but I'm a girl' sort of seemed to me to suggest 'girls should only like boys, why are you trying to have such a relationship with me?" Whereas the new line doesn't reject the idea of homosexual relationships, it just says "I'm not into girls."

I mean later developments in the show reveal that Kobayashi actually might be open to that sort of relationship, but for her character at that moment (she's just met this dragon and is completely overwhelmed by a totally unexpected one-sided crush that might apparently also have the power to cause Ragnarok) the line makes sense to me, and is an improvement on the dismissiveness of the original.

I'll hold off on judgement until I see the rest of the dub, but I seriously doubt Funi is trying to bury the lesbian themes of this show. For one, they translated Tohru's protestation of being "attracted to you, sexually!" just fine. For another, honestly, given how blatant the show is, how could they? Laughing
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:10 am Reply with quote
Quote:
In the sub, the line is translated as, “But I'm a woman,” while the dub switches it to “But I'm not into women,” which on the surface seems harmless enough but could also be interpreted as a rejection of the homoerotic themes that do take hold later in the series.

... the places people go to match lip flaps, huh? But as a response to this, I'll quote a line from one of my favorite Sam Raimi movies:

"Lady, you ain't seen nothing." The woman in question shakes her head nervously.
"... yet." If you're paying even a bit of attention, the "yet" was implied in the line; I don't even know anything about the franchise or upcoming episodes, it's storytelling 101.

That is, if she was already into girls, there'd be no where for her character to go. And shouldn't "But I'm a girl" be even worse? Because while she's leaving her own sexuality alone, ambiguous even, she calls Tohru's into question?

Personally, I'm offended that the line wasn't changed to the more accurate and funnier "But I'm not into dragons."
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:08 am Reply with quote
...where the "yet" is implied...
meiam

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:19 pm Reply with quote
...Dat thumbnail picture Cool
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 33 of 33