• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Urara Meirocho (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:57 am Reply with quote

Urara Meirocho (TV)

Genres: comedy, slice of life, supernatural
Themes: fanservice, moe, Yuri

Plot Summary: Meiro-chō is a town where all-female diviners (uranaishi) live and where girls from all over the country yearn to become the top diviner — "Urara." Today, a solitary girl named Chiya enters the town's gates. However, she has another purpose coming here, besides becoming the Urara. Chiya's days as an apprentice diviner begin as she meets three friends — the earnest Kon, Kōme who is a fan of Western culture, and the shy Nono.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:00 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

*kicks Stark700 in the bag for not creating this series discussion thread*

Okay, do you like Cute Girls Doing Cute Things shows? Do you like Cute Girls Doing Cute Things shows that whiff of yuri? Do you like Cute Girls Doing Cute Things shows that whiff of yuri and have sweet visuals and an interesting world?

Well then step right up, folks, this show is for you! I adore it. It will be my weekly antidote for the evil of this cynical, cold world. And always remember, if you want to apologize properly, you have to show your tummy.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:00 am Reply with quote
I picked Urara Meirochou in the survey of most anticipated Winter 2017 show, more or less on a guess, but after seeing it I don't regret the choice. It is adorable.

The habit of Chiya of exposing her belly when apologizing as well as her background in the mountains makes me suspect she might possibly be some kind of fox/wolf deity/spirit/youkai as that behaviour is generally regarded to be an act of showing submission in wolves/foxes/dogs...
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:21 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

Reminds me of last season's Anne Happy. Really cute, but my favourite character so far is the creepy doll. I did giggle at some of the jokes like all the cute animals that are apparently not even affiliated with her, a nice touch of them reacting the same way as her.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:17 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
And always remember, if you want to apologize properly, you have to show your tummy.

I got to admit, I really loved that part... right, not because of that but because it's natural animal posturing when showing deference, only it has nothing to with stripping. Not to say I didn't dislike that part or rather what was seen... moving on...

Overall, I really liked it. The music and overall presentation is good, especially the use of colors. However, I'm not a fan of the design as it keeps reminding me of other shows and it's not the design of the original manga just by looking at the first book's cover... let's see... character designer also did Oreshura and Shana? I noticed Chiya's hair occasionally went "total Shana" with its spiral cowlick but I thought it was just a coincidence
Yuri Fan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:44 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Episode 1

*kicks Stark700 in the bag for not creating this series discussion thread*

Okay, do you like Cute Girls Doing Cute Things shows? Do you like Cute Girls Doing Cute Things shows that whiff of yuri? Do you like Cute Girls Doing Cute Things shows that whiff of yuri and have sweet visuals and an interesting world?

Yes! YES! HECK YES!

The first episode was great, the best of the season so far. Can't wait for the next episode.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:48 am Reply with quote
I am shocked - SHOCKED! - that a poster named Yuri Fan likes this show. Wink
Yuri Fan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I am shocked - SHOCKED! - that a poster named Yuri Fan likes this show. Wink

I'm full of surprises, aren't I?

By the way, I'm a person, not a poster! (Bad joke, I know, but I had to say it!)
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:40 am Reply with quote
Episode 4. That last scene in the episode preview was interesting, especially since this show hasn't really touched a supernatural aspect so far despite the setting, at least one that couldn't be explained otherwise...

And the cast continues to be cute as always... Smile
tsukumiyomi

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Episode 8 is the best of the season.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:54 pm Reply with quote
It was a good eppie. I was actually afraid for Kon that maybe she had lost her divination powers. Happy that's not the case.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:49 pm Reply with quote
I thought that the bikini thieving crabs were funny. An animal Chiya does not get along with. Also, the doll seemed to speak at the same time this episode.

Just talking about the earlier from the show. We are all thinking that Chiya's mother is like the head Urara or something, right?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:26 am Reply with quote
Huh? Er, I mean, yeah! Of course! Wow, I picked up on that AGES ago! Kinda shocked you're only mentioning it now, DP.

*shifty eyes*
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:58 am Reply with quote
Episode 9

Another super solid eppie. Being the super observant and highly intelligent viewer I am, I quickly picked up on the fact that the "calamity" was going to be bogus, but I didn't know it was an official exam. The mystery of Chiya's mother is kept alive.

I'm sure there would be more chatter about this show at ANN if it was running on CR and not just on TAN. I hope it is doing well in Japan.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:10 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

A little fanservice lite last episode. I have been kind of critical with other shows that have been showing at the same time, calling them out on some frustration, that one might logically think that this kind of by the numbers cgdct (cute girls doing cute things) anime might be open for me to also show some dislike, but I think it is kind of the opposite. I look no further than what I feel from something like the OP makes me feel to say that this show for me has actually been kind of fun, something other shows actually fail to pull off or forgot to do. Probably won't be for everyone with its yuri bait and willingness to show some skin of these 15 year old girl characters, but along the same lines of shows like Is the Order a Rabbit, Kiniro Mosaic, Anne Happy and Sansha Sanyou, it is fun. And such an attitude can work with making a slice of life an enjoyable life.

Again I will mention not only the OP, but the ED were both actually fun and charming songs. It was not the best this season at it, Kobayashi-san especially this season showed what these shows can do, but that got such high reaction that it is kind of unfair to compare this to it. Favourite character of the show was the doll, Matsuko, and by extension Nono. I thought the show got some nice mileage of the creepy aspects of the doll of a show that was otherwise meant to be cute, and conceptually interesting that everything it said was coming from its timid owner even if it was anxious over what it said. It was kind of cute/funny how just in this final episode in the bath it seemed Matsuko was replaced with a little monkey that likely came from Chiya's animal magnetism and got picked up by Nono. Chiya herself was also a well of interesting things with animals, not that it actually felt like her character was reliant on it.

And to say it once more, I had fun with the show. I kind of even liked how it left off with news that now they are 9th level that they would leave their teacher and attend a school, that it would be sad for leaving but also excited that something new is coming. And I think it was that kind of positivity for the show itself ending that I think propped it up even a little. I would give it a rating of Good (7/10), that maybe at time writing this it was something that appealed to me, but something light like this and a little fun was kind of worth seeing. I don't think that I am as of yet waiting for more, I would like to have Chiya find her mother, but I am also satisfied, although I do look forward to more shows that can have some fun like this.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1