• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - The Amazing World of Anime Arcade Games

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:05 am Reply with quote
I like some of the Gundam arcade games, the earlier ones aren't as good as say Gundam Vs or the Rengou vs Zaft games. Did anyone play Gundam Federation vs Zeon in the 2000's? Well that's also a pretty decent arcade game as well not as good as the Gundam vs games, but it's fun to go back to.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
Did anyone play Gundam Federation vs Zeon in the 2000's?

Yes, the Dreamcast port is still one of my most regularly replayed games. The game keeps track of the accumulated stage clears for both Federation and Zeon playthroughs, and displays them at the game over screen in the form of an ongoing war report. We used to divide everyone who wanted to play into two teams, reset the save file, and take turns playing through the game in order to simulate the Federation vs Zeon war.
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:19 pm Reply with quote
It would have been cool to see an American PS1 port of Timegal back when that format was still around.
Narutofreak1412

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:24 pm Reply with quote
I'm sad that most of those animations will never be available without playing the game in japan.
There are even modern HQ animated fight scenes of old shounen jewels like Saint Seiya or Ashita no Joe exclusive to pachinko machines. It even has new re-composed tracks based on the original soundtrack and new recorded opening songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsXblxCz9oU
You can tell that they really put effort in it so the player will get a pleasant media experience of his favorite childhood series.
But aside from LQ recorded clips from someone who held his phone on the screen, western fans will never get to see those animations. Most of the fans don't even know that these exist :/
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Heh, the closest I had ever heard about to any of these things is Night Trap, which I suppose, in a way, is a spiritual successor to those LaserDisc games. Well, I had heard of Dragon's Lair, but that was long after they had left arcades.

As much as I enjoyed video games as a kid, and as much as arcades were all over the place when I was little, my father did not allow me to play arcade games, out of a combination of him not liking the seedy atmosphere many of them had and him just not liking any sort of game in general (he was eccentric). He gave me 4 quarters one time when I had to stay in the Northridge Fashion Center (in Northridge, CA) for two hours, and another time he gave me 4 quarters to spend for an entire day at the All Amusement Fun Center at the Plant (Panorama City, CA). Didn't really understand anything, and I avoided anything that didn't give out tickets.

I grew older, and free from my father's influence, one thing I've been doing lately is arcade hunting. I've discovered many arcades tucked away in various places, and I take mental note of anything rare and/or unusual I find. As much as many of the remaining arcades not named Dave & Buster or Round 1 have a lot of video games from the 80's and 90's (Galaga and Cruisin' World ad nauseam), I have not seen a single LaserDisc game with fully animated cutscenes or backgrounds or interactive branching stories or anything discussed here...and yet, I've found four F-Zero AX machines.

Lord Geo wrote:
I know that I'm in the extreme minority here, but I'd love to see these games given at least one definitive release each, ideally in the style of something like the Pinball Arcade.

I know you mentioned it all throughout your post, but any game company that's going to try to attempt something like this is going to need some very good lawyers, because you mentioned it yourself that the rights are a complete mess.

Pinball Arcade is already a legal nightmare to sort out due to the machines being made by different manufacturers, each with different rules; and the large amount of licensed titles they'll have to cover (only recently were they able to get the rights to port stuff like Doctor Who and Starship Troopers--the likes of Jurassic Park and Indiana Jones: The Pinball Adventure is still far beyond them). I can only imagine how this theoretical company would have to deal with rights holders like Square, whoever owns Data East nowadays, and that estate that owns the Arsene Lupin franchise (which I know has stood in the way of a lot of Lupin III stuff).

WingKing wrote:
Out of all those "interactive movie" type of LD games, I've always said that if there was one I'd ever want to learn to play through it would be Badlands. That, not Dragon's Lair, was actually the first one I remember seeing in arcades as a little kid, and some of the visuals in it stuck with me for years afterwards, long after I'd forgotten the name of the game itself. I've had a chance to play Badlands a few times at California Extreme (a yearly classic arcade convention) over the past several years, since it usually makes an appearance there along with several other games mentioned in the column, but I still haven't made much progress on it. And no I'm not going to download it for emulator - I don't care that much.

Ah, Badlands is often found at California Extreme? Now that I have the time to actually head there, I'll go check it out if I get the chance to visit the event.

ParaChomp wrote:
Now all animation in arcades is used for is Pachinko.

HIT THE LEVER!

I can say that, having kept my ear to the ground with the American arcade scene, that is most definitely not true. (Even if the American arcade scene is so small compared to the Japanese one that it might as well not exist.)
EricJ2

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:42 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Heh, the closest I had ever heard about to any of these things is Night Trap, which I suppose, in a way, is a spiritual successor to those LaserDisc games. Well, I had heard of Dragon's Lair, but that was long after they had left arcades.)

Night Trap? Ah!!--Get out of my Sega CD-owner head! Very Happy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaCWphCrXTw
(Wasn't so bad, but you had to be watching six security cams at once to even know where to play when.)

Sega CD came and went so quickly, it never got the credit for being the missing evolutionary link between SNES/Genesis cartridge and Playstation 1 disk, and bringing laser-style full-motion video to games before the Philips CDI.
And CDI had more ambitions to being a proto game/video player, long before the idea of putting video on small CD disks was considered acceptable.
Paul Soth

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:11 pm Reply with quote
One major thing that makes LD games rare is that they are much harder to maintain and repair due to the scarcity of parts for the disc readers. Control boards, drive belts, motors, etc.. Not to mention that even the discs themselves becoming unreadable due to scratches and oxidation. With the format over twenty years out of date, there aren't too many manufacturers creating replacement components.

However in recent years, there are hobbyists who have come up with workarounds using modern technology. A common method is completely replacing the LD player with a specialized ROM board that emulates the functions of the player and keeps the game video on flash memory. Like other games, there is a dedicated community that is preserving the titles.
WingKing

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:45 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Ah, Badlands is often found at California Extreme? Now that I have the time to actually head there, I'll go check it out if I get the chance to visit the event.

CAX always has a section every year with at least a dozen or so laserdisc games. Badlands is one of the ones that's featured there most years, along with all the ones you'd expect to see like DL, Space Ace, Mach 3, and that "holographic" Time Traveler game Sega put out in the early 90's (which I mostly remember for the cowboy character in the attract mode drawling, "Remember, pardner. Winners don't use drugs"). A few more esoteric titles like Thayer's Quest and Cobra Command are usually available too. Other ones Mike's article mentioned like Astron Belt and Cliff Hanger are there sometimes, but not every year.

Quote:
As much as many of the remaining arcades not named Dave & Buster or Round 1 have a lot of video games from the 80's and 90's (Galaga and Cruisin' World ad nauseam), I have not seen a single LaserDisc game with fully animated cutscenes or backgrounds or interactive branching stories or anything discussed here...and yet, I've found four F-Zero AX machines.

These days, the only permanent arcade I know of that still has any laserdisc games is Weir's Beach in New Hampshire, which is basically the mecca for classic arcade enthusiasts, but even they only have a couple. Though I'm sure if you scoured the US you'd still find a few more tucked away in odd corners here and there. The last time I saw any laserdisc games in a normal commercial arcade was the early 2000s. There was a mini-golf place local to me that had Dragon's Lair 2 in their arcade up until around 2001/02 or so, and there also used to be a Namco arcade (now long gone) at the Great Mall in Milpitas, CA that had a Galaxian 3: Project Dragoon machine installed. Project Dragoon was a massive 6-player game the size of a small room, that actually used two synchronized laserdisc players to create its background images. Unsurprisingly that was the only place where I ever saw it, though I understand an even larger 28-player version used to exist at a theme park in Japan.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:43 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
Night Trap? Ah!!--Get out of my Sega CD-owner head! Very Happy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaCWphCrXTw
(Wasn't so bad, but you had to be watching six security cams at once to even know where to play when.)

Sega CD came and went so quickly, it never got the credit for being the missing evolutionary link between SNES/Genesis cartridge and Playstation 1 disk, and bringing laser-style full-motion video to games before the Philips CDI.
And CDI had more ambitions to being a proto game/video player, long before the idea of putting video on small CD disks was considered acceptable.

Of course, kids nowadays would rather play a Five Nights at Freddy's title if they want a game where you watch many monitors at once.

As for the CDi, that thing was doomed from the start due to neither Nintendo nor Philips caring about the system. A system alone doesn't sell. It needs a library of appealing games.

Paul Soth wrote:
One major thing that makes LD games rare is that they are much harder to maintain and repair due to the scarcity of parts for the disc readers. Control boards, drive belts, motors, etc.. Not to mention that even the discs themselves becoming unreadable due to scratches and oxidation. With the format over twenty years out of date, there aren't too many manufacturers creating replacement components.

However in recent years, there are hobbyists who have come up with workarounds using modern technology. A common method is completely replacing the LD player with a specialized ROM board that emulates the functions of the player and keeps the game video on flash memory. Like other games, there is a dedicated community that is preserving the titles.

Good point. I know all too well about how low-maintenance machines are a huge draw for operators.

Are there many purists who believe LaserDisc or bust? Or are most of them willing to use the ROMs? I takeit these ROMs are meant to feel as much like the original experience as possible, but what came to mind first is the possible purist who does not believe any imitation can be indistinguishable from the real thing.

WingKing wrote:
CAX always has a section every year with at least a dozen or so laserdisc games. Badlands is one of the ones that's featured there most years, along with all the ones you'd expect to see like DL, Space Ace, Mach 3, and that "holographic" Time Traveler game Sega put out in the early 90's (which I mostly remember for the cowboy character in the attract mode drawling, "Remember, pardner. Winners don't use drugs"). A few more esoteric titles like Thayer's Quest and Cobra Command are usually available too. Other ones Mike's article mentioned like Astron Belt and Cliff Hanger are there sometimes, but not every year.

Well, I've never been to California Extreme, so I didn't really know. I had been wanting to go ever since I heard about it a couple of years ago, and I looked up how to get there, but as I worked weekends until now, I never got the chance to. (Days off without pay were possible, but my manager always turned them down unless it was absolutely necessary. I only managed to attend Anime Expo 2014 at all because I had the opportunity to go straight to the district manager.) I only knew about the pinball section there, which is how I first heard of it.

How big is it anyway? It sounds mighty big.

WingKing wrote:
These days, the only permanent arcade I know of that still has any laserdisc games is Weir's Beach in New Hampshire, which is basically the mecca for classic arcade enthusiasts, but even they only have a couple. Though I'm sure if you scoured the US you'd still find a few more tucked away in odd corners here and there. The last time I saw any laserdisc games in a normal commercial arcade was the early 2000s. There was a mini-golf place local to me that had Dragon's Lair 2 in their arcade up until around 2001/02 or so, and there also used to be a Namco arcade (now long gone) at the Great Mall in Milpitas, CA that had a Galaxian 3: Project Dragoon machine installed. Project Dragoon was a massive 6-player game the size of a small room, that actually used two synchronized laserdisc players to create its background images. Unsurprisingly that was the only place where I ever saw it, though I understand an even larger 28-player version used to exist at a theme park in Japan.

Heh, New Hampshire is not feasible for me at the moment, but I'll make a note of that...Not sure if I'll remember I even wrote it down should I ever wind up in New Hampshire though. As far as local places go, I should check to see if 82 (next to Little Tokyo in Los Angeles) has any; that's the one most likely to stock them. The local 1-Up barcade has closed down though. I still managed to visit that place and got the rare chance to play Trio the Punch. Not a LaserDisc game, but something eccentric enough to have been in an X Button column. Arcade Expo is in two months too, and I CAN easily travel there. I'll see if they have any LaserDisc games there. I believe they had Dragon's Lair, at least, when I went there last year, but their arcade games section is strongly, strongly slanted towards games made in the United States, with very few Japanese arcade games.

Is Weir's Beach actually by the beach? I've been to some beachside arcades, and unless it's a dedicated hub for arcade fans that gets constant maintenance like Musee Mechanique in San Francisco (which is awesome because they have pre-digital arcade games, a truly rare sight), the games tend to be in pretty bad shape due to the humidity and salt in the air.

It is possible I've seen a LaserDisc game without recognizing it though. I didn't know they existed for most of my life, so I would've taken it for granted.
KutovoiAnton

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:15 am Reply with quote
Heh, I remember Time Gal playtrough in Tokyo Encounter Very Happy
WingKing

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:49 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Well, I've never been to California Extreme, so I didn't really know. I had been wanting to go ever since I heard about it a couple of years ago, and I looked up how to get there, but as I worked weekends until now, I never got the chance to. (Days off without pay were possible, but my manager always turned them down unless it was absolutely necessary. I only managed to attend Anime Expo 2014 at all because I had the opportunity to go straight to the district manager.) I only knew about the pinball section there, which is how I first heard of it.

How big is it anyway? It sounds mighty big.

Massive. We're talking somewhere north of 500 video and pinball games set up every year. I've been going fairly regularly since 1999, and there's a group of us who make arrangements to go together every year (with me flying in from the east coast unless I can't get the time off from work). If you really want to get a feel for it, this guy posted a three-part walkthrough video of the most recent show's main gaming floor on YouTube - all three parts together are about 40 minutes.

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

If you're especially interested in the laserdisc games, he gets to those in the last few minutes of part 3, including some good Badlands footage at about the 13-minute mark. I also noticed Bega's Battle, Road Blaster, and Super Don Quixote in the video among the games that Mike discussed.

Also note that he just filmed the main hall. There are also other rooms nearby where they always set up a bunch of cocktail table games and stuff like air hockey and foosball, and in the last few years they've also started setting up another room with classic console systems too.

Quote:
Is Weir's Beach actually by the beach? I've been to some beachside arcades, and unless it's a dedicated hub for arcade fans that gets constant maintenance like Musee Mechanique in San Francisco (which is awesome because they have pre-digital arcade games, a truly rare sight), the games tend to be in pretty bad shape due to the humidity and salt in the air.

No, Weir's Beach isn't on the ocean. It's on Lake Winnipesaukee, a freshwater lake in the central part of NH. The arcade is notable enough that it even has its own Wikipedia article.

I've been to Musee Mecanique a couple of times - it's a very cool place. Lots of unique games, and stuff that probably doesn't even exist anywhere else anymore. Speaking of beachside arcades, the Boardwalk in Santa Cruz had a couple of really good arcades the last time I was there too, very large and a great selection of classics (I remember it was the first time I ever saw a Space Invaders pinball machine). That was about 15 years ago, though, so I don't know what they still have nowadays. Unfortunately I can't give you any recommendations for arcades in the LA area. There used to be a good one in Pasadena that me and my friends sometimes hit up when I was in college, but I know that place closed several years ago, and we never went anywhere else.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:01 am Reply with quote
WingKing wrote:
Massive. We're talking somewhere north of 500 video and pinball games set up every year. I've been going fairly regularly since 1999, and there's a group of us who make arrangements to go together every year (with me flying in from the east coast unless I can't get the time off from work). If you really want to get a feel for it, this guy posted a three-part walkthrough video of the most recent show's main gaming floor on YouTube - all three parts together are about 40 minutes.

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

If you're especially interested in the laserdisc games, he gets to those in the last few minutes of part 3, including some good Badlands footage at about the 13-minute mark. I also noticed Bega's Battle, Road Blaster, and Super Don Quixote in the video among the games that Mike discussed.

Also note that he just filmed the main hall. There are also other rooms nearby where they always set up a bunch of cocktail table games and stuff like air hockey and foosball, and in the last few years they've also started setting up another room with classic console systems too.

Nice! I really hope I can go this year then, in that case. It'll be interesting to see something bigger than any of the other arcade events I've been to...which is not many, as it wasn't until this current job I have that I was allowed to leave southern California. (Well, it's not that they directly restrict me, but that I would have my days off scattered irregularly throughout the month, making it impossible to plan anything in advance or do anything where I can't leave and come back the same day.)

Quote:
No, Weir's Beach isn't on the ocean. It's on Lake Winnipesaukee, a freshwater lake in the central part of NH. The arcade is notable enough that it even has its own Wikipedia article.

I've been to Musee Mecanique a couple of times - it's a very cool place. Lots of unique games, and stuff that probably doesn't even exist anywhere else anymore. Speaking of beachside arcades, the Boardwalk in Santa Cruz had a couple of really good arcades the last time I was there too, very large and a great selection of classics (I remember it was the first time I ever saw a Space Invaders pinball machine). That was about 15 years ago, though, so I don't know what they still have nowadays. Unfortunately I can't give you any recommendations for arcades in the LA area. There used to be a good one in Pasadena that me and my friends sometimes hit up when I was in college, but I know that place closed several years ago, and we never went anywhere else.

Pasadena now has Neon Retro Arcade, and just this last month, Club 1609 has opened up. Both of them are admission-based and charge by the hour (which are $10 for both of them, which arguably is better for beginners, who might get wiped in a matter of seconds at most arcade games). That being said Club 1609 has what is clearly a bootleg machine (which is depressingly common in these parts--not sure if you've seen those Neo-Geo collection machines, but they are almost as ubiquitous as claw machines here).

If by the Santa Cruz Boardwalk you mean Neptune's Kingdom, I'd say the machines there are hit-or-miss in condition. The Mario Kart games there are in great condition (but annoyingly hungry for credits), for instance, whereas the pinball machines there have all deteriorated horribly due to the ocean air. I have not been there in a long time, however, so hopefully things have changed for the better.

Some of the pre-video game mechanical arcade machines, I actually encountered at Arcade Expo in Banning, CA. I seem to have forgotten to take a picture of one, but I liked this one where you operated a little helicopter in a big glass box and you had to make it land on certain small areas for points. The machine could detect if you landed on them, and these scoring reels would keep track of how many points you've earned.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2