• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Rose of Versailles's Oscar Makes an Appearance on Sumō Banner

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:00 am Reply with quote
I wonder how old this form of advertising at sumo matches has been going on?

It strikes me as really traditional, and I wonder how its history compares with other sports advertising traditions? I bet it's one of the oldest forms of sports advertising still in practice in essentially its original form...

Kind of sucks for the sumo wrestlers that they can't get sponsorships from apparel companies like other sports stars.
mgosdin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:20 am Reply with quote
I don't know, if you were a clothing manufacturer that made items that could stand up to Sumo wrestlers use outside of the ring you might have a marketable thing. You know those guys are tough on their personal clothing just because of their bulk.

Mark Gosdin
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:15 am Reply with quote
mgosdin wrote:
I don't know, if you were a clothing manufacturer that made items that could stand up to Sumo wrestlers use outside of the ring you might have a marketable thing. You know those guys are tough on their personal clothing just because of their bulk.

Mark Gosdin

My point was that sports apparel advertising is all about getting the athlete to wear them while they are competing and on tv. There isn't nearly the value otherwise. But for sumo the tradition wouldn't allow it.
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:12 am Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
I wonder how old this form of advertising at sumo matches has been going on?

It strikes me as really traditional, and I wonder how its history compares with other sports advertising traditions? I bet it's one of the oldest forms of sports advertising still in practice in essentially its original form...

Kind of sucks for the sumo wrestlers that they can't get sponsorships from apparel companies like other sports stars.

That answer can most likely be provided by the people at sumo forums. There's a lot of sumo otaku there. Let me see and get back to you on that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1