• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - The Sudden Rise of Fanservice Games

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:56 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
^ I understand that but these people seem to be in minority compared to the number of people still losing their collective shit over these changes under the idea they ruin the games in unforgivable way.

All I'll say is this...

Not caring about about any alterations made to certain content because of them "not affecting the gameplay" is all well and good...until it happens to a title that you like.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
This is the crux of it right here. When a work's themes and meaning are changed for an audience, it is censorship, plain and simple.

Even Woolseyisms?
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
Not caring about about any alterations made to certain content because of them "not affecting the gameplay" is all well and good...until it happens to a title that you like.

I didn't care for how the American version of Naruto Ultimate Ninja 2 didn't have the villain from the 1st movie as a playable character. Or how the western versions of Sparking 3 took out some of the music from the DragonBall TV series.

I just rolled with it....though Budokai HD having some it's songs removed from the game because of the controversy with Yamamoto was a bit of a deal breaker.
Chester McCool

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:17 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Even Woolseyisms?
Made-up word people use to excuse nostalgia for bad things. There were people who were legitimately upset the PSP port of Symphony of the Night didn't have atrocious voice acting and horribly translated dialog. All because it was "nostalgic" and "memetastic". Anyone who lets nostalgia direct their opinion on something doesn't have a very strong argument. It also leads to some really terrible decisions like recent Final Fantasy localizations.

BadNewsBlues wrote:
I didn't care for how the American version of Naruto Ultimate Ninja 2 didn't have the villain from the 1st movie as a playable character. Or how the western versions of Sparking 3 took out some of the music from the DragonBall TV series.

You reminded me of the 4kids era of One Piece games remove tons of characters because they weren't in the dub yet. The Konjiki no Gash game removed some as well. What a terrible business practice. Does it really matter if the game spoils something considering most fans are going to be watching the original sub anyway? The Zexal Yu-Gi-Oh game had like 30 characters removed from the American version. Who wants to buy a watered down roster for any game?
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:00 am Reply with quote
Chester McCool wrote:
Made-up word people use to excuse nostalgia for bad things. There were people who were legitimately upset the PSP port of Symphony of the Night didn't have atrocious voice acting and horribly translated dialog. All because it was "nostalgic" and "memetastic". Anyone who lets nostalgia direct their opinion on something doesn't have a very strong argument. It also leads to some really terrible decisions like recent Final Fantasy localizations.

Hey, all you had to say was that you didn't like them.

Also, I'd credit the Paper Mario franchise's success in the west compared to their flops in Japan due to Nate Bihldorff's superb handling of the dialogue in the game, whereas the Japanese dialogue was rather plain and straightforward, so no, it doesn't have to be fueled by nostalgia. In other words, it is definitely possible to have something heavily rewritten into another language and have it be better received than it was in its original language or a more faithful translation.

Sounds like you're a purist. You believe any changes, no matter how small, negatively affects the final product. Nothing wrong with that. But you've got to keep in mind that not everybody is like that, and so you'll have cases like the Scandinavian translations of the Donald Duck comics (to where many changes became part of the local vernacular) or, in a really recent case with Nintendo, Splatoon (where, say, the Megaphone special weapon was renamed "Killer Wail"). They are not lesser people simply because a less-than-compeltely-faithful translation appeals to them more.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:13 am Reply with quote
Chester McCool wrote:
The Zexal Yu-Gi-Oh game had like 30 characters removed from the American version. Who wants to buy a watered down roster for any game?

Another [perhaps more extreme] instance of a Yu-Gi-Oh title having its content cut out is Yu-Gi-Oh GX: Tag Force, in which the English version of it had no voices present while the Japanese version did.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8