• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - The Sudden Rise of Fanservice Games

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nyren

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:38 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Cetais wrote:
but I just want to play a cool game, not drool over a fictional character.

You actually can do the former though.

Nyren wrote:
but in a more natural way she's still got that sex appeal.

Well sure if you're into ryona videos.
What's ryona?
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Nyren wrote:
What's ryona?

A type of subgenre? of videos that involves female video game characters being dominated, beaten, killed etc.
Afezeria

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:39 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
I'm tired of fanservice ---
Then perhaps stay the hell away from materials with fanservice? The simplest solution to any problems might as well be at the bottom of someone but it's hard to see it if you aren't seeking. There's still an abundance of games without fanservice either way (of the lewd kind, that is) and Google would certainly be very helpful with that. Anyway, this article is pretty weird because the title doesn't matched the content. If the rise of fanservice in gaming would only contributed to the production of 5 or 6 games that's focused on the subject matter at hand entirely, then that's practically not any different to how it was before in the past.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Afezeria wrote:
Then perhaps stay the hell away from materials with fanservice? The simplest solution to any problems might as well be at the bottom of someone but it's hard to see it if you aren't seeking.

It's not as simple as "staying the hell away from materials with fanservice", so no, you're wrong. Even if you aren't actively seeking it, it still pops up everywhere. Even the RPGs I've played manage to sneak it in, especially when the game is about something else entirely.
Raebo101

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:06 pm Reply with quote
^ Yeah, it's not that simple. That's like being a part of the anime community and being told to stay away from all things involving the character Rem from ReZero. It's impossible. I don't care about Rem, I don't want to see Rem, but there she is, everywhere I go, like the plauge. The Plauge of Rem.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:42 pm Reply with quote
I think the article's title's claim of fanservice games having a "sudden rise" is a bit exaggerated...

Anyhow, I find it interesting that Kat's black outfit was bare from the start and that the gold decorating pattern was its accessory...I bet it was a bit time-consuming to wear...
Cetais

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Afezeria wrote:
stay the hell away from materials with fanservice?
Oh god. You don't know how hard it is, huh? So many games have useless fanservice, almost always at the beginning. Especially Idea Factory.
For exemple, Danganronpa, I love this series so much. The second game is really great, but... God damn, there's just so much fanservice that is important to the scenario.
Reckard

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:54 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
I'm tired of fanservice personally. These developers don't seem to realize that not everyone wants jiggling jumbly bumblies in their games. I don't want to play a game where a woman moans at having her bra snapped off by some "accident" caused by another character or random situation.

Games aren't made to appeal to everyone, but for money. And most of the industry's customers happen to like boobs.

Quote:
Cetais wrote:
As a gay man, those fanservice games aren't my cup of tea. I just find them... Bad.

Seriously. Where's the manservice? Where are the big and powerful (heck add nonhuman too) guys without most of their clothes on? It's always such a double standard, boiling down to sexually insecure college idiots uttering:

Cheesecake: "Hell yeah! Bring on the ladies!"
Beefcake: "F*ck no! Nobody wants to see that!"

You can only see guys like that in MMOs and their character creation system since you can opt to go without clothes in most of them, but that's not a genre for everyone. Still, I guess it's better than nothing.

Well, games likes that exist if you look. Made by gay men for gay men usually, since I guess developers don't think the minority who likes that stuff will give them much of a profit. Here's a few for reference: http://f-kare.jp/?lang=en http://housamo.jp/
Zimmer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Cetais wrote:
Afezeria wrote:
stay the hell away from materials with fanservice?
Oh god. You don't know how hard it is, huh? So many games have useless fanservice, almost always at the beginning. Especially Idea Factory.
For exemple, Danganronpa, I love this series so much. The second game is really great, but... God damn, there's just so much fanservice that is important to the scenario.
Your mistake was thinking anime games aren't fanservice games.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Cetais wrote:

Discounting one of the main characters who perputally walks around with her shirt unbuttoned, another character who winds up in a couple of awkward positions in the game, and part of the intro along with the third case. The 2nd game wasn't exactly swimming in sexual fanservice.....plus it gets kind of dulled considerably by the fact you watch most of the cast get killed off.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:23 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Seriously. Where's the manservice? Where are the big and powerful (heck add nonhuman too) guys without most of their clothes on? It's always such a double standard, boiling down to sexually insecure college idiots uttering:

Cheesecake: "Hell yeah! Bring on the ladies!"
Beefcake: "F*ck no! Nobody wants to see that!" .

Isn't that literally every Western game ever made? Buff dudes running around killing stuff? Kratos, Nathan Drake, Marcus Fenix, AssCreed dudes, Batman, Commander Shepard, Geralt
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:

Isn't that literally every Western game ever made? Buff dudes running around killing stuff? Kratos, Nathan Drake, Marcus Fenix, AssCreed dudes, Batman, Commander Shepard, Geralt

You're mistaking a portrayal of strength (a la Hercules) for a portrayal of sexiness. Really, the easiest example to point to would be Yuri on Ice; even in just the first episode, everything about those guys just oozes sensuality. Heck, even just the ending song's animation does that job.

Although that one comment about MMOs made me think about Final Fantasy 14's Coliseum Gear being a particularly good equalizer. Laughing
Afezeria

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:48 pm Reply with quote
If an anime oriented games or anything from Japan is brimming with lewd based fanservice, then you guys should probably try games from other developers instead. There are thousand of selections out there and please don't blame the developers if the games that you guys played had these aforementioned subjects which annoyed you because it is your choice, and they've definitely had fans that liked them too, which wouldn't make a bad idea to catered to them because it inceased sales expectation and audiences. It is entirely possible to avoid fanservice if you tried and it is impossible for every games to come out from Japan or whatever to be overwhelmed with lewd scenes.
Raebo101 wrote:
..Rem.
Except it is that simple (log off the internet?) and I don't see anything of Rem in this article. Her trend has died out, on many sites online, that is.
Cetais wrote:
That's a game that you've choose to play, and you should've probably knew that Idea Factory had a track record for producing that stuff that you don't like.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:09 pm Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
You're mistaking a portrayal of strength (a la Hercules) for a portrayal of sexiness. Really, the easiest example to point to would be Yuri on Ice; even in just the first episode, everything about those guys just oozes sensuality. Heck, even just the ending song's animation does that job.

Bingo, except I'm talking beefy guys having less on usual or being in a scene where they have to be shirtless or even sans pants. You don't see many muscular Western male characters giving us manservice.

@Lord Oink: True, Kratos does have less on than most males, but as stated by whiskeyii, he's not flexing his guns for the audience.

Quote:
Although that one comment about MMOs made me think about Final Fantasy 14's Coliseum Gear being a particularly good equalizer. Laughing

I suppose, but Japanese MMOs don't let you add much muscle to a male character's frame (unless the race in question has big muscles by default like the Galka in FFXI). They're really averse to larger beef, except in the cases of certain characters in their many fighting titles (such as Gigas in Tekken 7). Not sure why they have that weird stereotype where bigger muscles means you're flaming gay. O_o

Last edited by belvadeer on Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:10 am Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Not sure why they have that weird stereotype where bigger muscles means you're flaming gay. O_o

They've got too much man for one man, so they have to find another man to offload it into.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8