• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Exactly what *is* this?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:28 pm Reply with quote
So I was on the website KissAnime (Yeah, yeah; I know.....) when I came across this weird video that is 7 1/4 minutes in length. It is entitled "amazarashi-Untitled-Mudai-Special". I have no idea what it is. Perhaps it's a promotional video? I'm fairly certain that that it's not an AMV. I'm also fairly certain that that the animation is Japanese (at the very least, it is anime-influenced). I tried the ANN search engine and I got this hit and:
this wrote:
The "actors'" onstage images are designed by artist YKBX (also known as Masaki Yokobe), who is known for his video "amazarashi."

Because my search abilities are quite deficient I freely admit that I may have missed something that is blatantly obvious to someone with a modicum of ability.

Anyway.....
  1. Does anyone know what this video is?
  2. Should a reference be made to it in the encyclopedia/database?
shosakukan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:44 pm Reply with quote
nobahn wrote:
So I was on the website KissAnime (Yeah, yeah; I know.....) when I came across this weird video that is 7 1/4 minutes in length. It is entitled "amazarashi-Untitled-Mudai-Special". I have no idea what it is. Perhaps it's a promotional video? I'm fairly certain that that it's not an AMV. I'm also fairly certain that that the animation is Japanese (at the very least, it is anime-influenced). I tried the ANN search engine and I got this hit and:
this wrote:
The "actors'" onstage images are designed by artist YKBX (also known as Masaki Yokobe), who is known for his video "amazarashi."

Because my search abilities are quite deficient I freely admit that I may have missed something that is blatantly obvious to someone with a modicum of ability.

Anyway.....
  1. Does anyone know what this video is?
  2. Should a reference be made to it in the encyclopedia/database?

That is the music video (dir. by YKBX) for the song "Untitled" by Japanese rock band amazarashi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTv9xLPu7Q8
mbanu

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:40 am Reply with quote
nobahn wrote:
Should a reference be made to it in the encyclopedia/database?

I am a little curious about this. The Encyclopedia does have a few Japanese-original animated music videos, but that category of animation is probably the Encyclopedia's weakest. There also isn't a designated category for them -- they are interspersed among multiple categories:

anime#879
anime#1175
anime#3205
anime#3579
anime#4829
anime#5850
anime#5851
anime#5852
anime#5853
anime#5977
anime#7258
anime#7328
anime#10661

I wonder if this is because these sorts of music videos fall outside of the scope of the Encyclopedia unless there is a connection to a larger work (like with On Your Mark), or if it's just a larger undertaking because the set of animators working on music videos are often distinct from those working in film or TV...

Is there any official guidance on what to do with music videos in the Encyclopedia?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1