• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - The Sudden Rise of Fanservice Games

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cetais

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:19 pm Reply with quote
I expected a mention or something about the Shovel Knight announcement they made recently.

As a gay man, those fanservice games aren't my cup of tea. I just find them... Bad. Some of them are supposedly great (Senran Kagura) but I can't get over all those ass and titties. I mean, it's cool for people who like that, but I just want to play a cool game, not drool over a fictional character.

I tried to get into Neptunia, I just couldn't due to all those fanservice scenes. Same for Conception II.
Nyren

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:30 pm Reply with quote
In all honesty I wouldn't have been surprised if 2B had a butthole. The Japanese love adding little unnecessary details like that to their games. Just because 2B's a robot(android?) doesn't mean she doesn't have the functions of a human. I mean, if she's just a robot, why give her the appearance of a woman?

And fanservice games have never really bothered me(In part because I am part of the target audience.). I like that they exist in the market because they cater to a group of people who would have nothing to cater to them otherwise. And in the case of fanservice leaking into major releases, there's nothing wrong with having a sexy character design from time to time. In my opinion those characters tend to look better than the others because the design of their is usually unique. I'll take an aesthetically pleasing character over a practical design any day of the week. And in the case of Lara Croft, I'd actually argue that her reboot design did not take her out of the fanservice spotlight. Sure, she isn't wearing booty shorts anymore and doesn't have a rack the size of the moon, but in a more natural way she's still got that sex appeal. A lot of people I've talked to agreed on that, especially in Rise of the Tomb Raider.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Vague and slanted, as expected from ANN video game coverage. It's like the X-Button never left us.
Chrysostomus

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:03 pm Reply with quote
When we finally got rid of the intrusive moral puritans of old, they were quickly replaced by a new clergy of puritanical censors, but these ones pretend that they are sex-positive... unless it concerns straight males, of course.
CatSword

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Cetais wrote:
As a gay man, those fanservice games aren't my cup of tea. I just find them... Bad. Some of them are supposedly great (Senran Kagura) but I can't get over all those ass and titties. I mean, it's cool for people who like that, but I just want to play a cool game, not drool over a fictional character.

Which Senran Kagura(s) did you play? In Shinovi Versus, pretty much all the fanservice is skippable, with skipping the clothes-ripping and the nude transformation sequences just being an extra click and immediately taking you back to the battle.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:18 pm Reply with quote
That explains why I've seen so much of 2B on pixiv, both frequency and otherwise. Not that I'm complaining.
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Fan service games seem to be made by people for whom women are more of an abstract concept than something they encounter in daily life. Probably why I like them.
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:53 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
That explains why I've seen so much of 2B on pixiv, both frequency and otherwise. Not that I'm complaining.

neither am i. though the fanservice in xtreme beach volleyball can be a little too skimpy for my taste. its not a surprise it didn't get released in the US. they probably feared ESRB would have given XBV 3 the dreaded AO Rating if it was released unedited. also fanservice isnt unusual either. whether people admit or not FFX-2 was blatant fanservice through and through and made the hardcore FF community really unhappy. probably why there haven't been any fanservice in any FF game since. so while its not a very big deal and all, having too much might do more harm than good unless it goes hand in hand with the game like xtreme beach volleyball, senran kaguya and some other games. hell even the fate games could have fanservice in it if it wants to.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:57 pm Reply with quote
^Given Fate started as an adult VN I'd say fanservice is eminently possible. Also Grand Order stuff has been all over pixiv for a while (though not always nsfw) so there's certainly a market for it
dkbailey64

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Cetais wrote:
I expected a mention or something about the Shovel Knight announcement they made recently.

The column typically gets finalized for editing on Wednesday afternoon. The Shovel Knight news had just broken as I was sending in the article. Otherwise--yeah, totally, more freakin' Shovel Knight, man.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:17 pm Reply with quote
I doubt Tomb Raider would sell any less if they used the old, sexy Lara. The main reason the new games sell so well is because they're safe, by the numbers third person shooters, while the older games were puzzle platformers, whos market has been regulated to indie titles these days. Though given the popularity of Suicide Squad Harley Quinn and female singers like Ariana Grande, I think western developers are overestimating how many women hate sexualized females. Unless the video game subculture is an odd exception. Western developers are free to design however they want, but I disapprove of censoring Japanese titles to be more like western design. That seems mostly regulated to Nintendo titles though, thankfully.

Lemonchest wrote:
Fan service games seem to be made by people for whom women are more of an abstract concept than something they encounter in daily life. Probably why I like them.

That's a really outdated stereotype given a lot of those games are designed by female artists and character designers. Or they're modeled after real women like Quiet and Jill Valentine.

-Stuart Smith
KH91

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:05 pm Reply with quote
The world needs to follow in the footsteps of Taro Yoko. Stop resisting and embrace it.

All hail 2B-OOTY!
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:15 pm Reply with quote
There wasn't a "sudden rise" of fanservice games this year. Hell, the article itself doesn't even support the claim of the headline. Ridiculous click-bait crap.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:34 pm Reply with quote
I'm tired of fanservice personally. These developers don't seem to realize that not everyone wants jiggling jumbly bumblies in their games. I don't want to play a game where a woman moans at having her bra snapped off by some "accident" caused by another character or random situation.

Cetais wrote:
As a gay man, those fanservice games aren't my cup of tea. I just find them... Bad.

Seriously. Where's the manservice? Where are the big and powerful (heck add nonhuman too) guys without most of their clothes on? It's always such a double standard, boiling down to sexually insecure college idiots uttering:

Cheesecake: "Hell yeah! Bring on the ladies!"
Beefcake: "F*ck no! Nobody wants to see that!"

You can only see guys like that in MMOs and their character creation system since you can opt to go without clothes in most of them, but that's not a genre for everyone. Still, I guess it's better than nothing.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Cetais wrote:
but I just want to play a cool game, not drool over a fictional character.

You actually can do the former though.

Nyren wrote:
but in a more natural way she's still got that sex appeal.

Well sure if you're into ryona videos.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8